Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Diatamaceous earth
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 25-9-2015 at 13:58
Diatamaceous earth

Hi,
Does anyone know or has anyone used diatomaceous earth for the solid phase in liquid chromatography?
Silicon gel one has jumped in price lately, I am trying to isolate samples from different plant extracts.
Cheers

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 25-9-2015 at 17:28

Buy a usual silica gel (beads), crush it with hammer, sift through a large sieve to remove really big particles. Obtained silica gel will have a variable particle size, but is sufficient for simple chromatography.

[Edited on 26-9-2015 by byko3y]
battoussai114
Hazard to Others

Mood: Not bad.... Not bad.

[*] posted on 25-9-2015 at 18:04

It's used in GC from what I've heard. If you bother doing a little acid washing to ensure you only have Silica on your diatomaceous earth I'd guess you'd be fine.

Batoussai.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2015 at 01:48

Quote: Originally posted by battoussai114  
It's used in GC from what I've heard. If you bother doing a little acid washing to ensure you only have Silica on your diatomaceous earth I'd guess you'd be fine.

I will give that a go, silica seems to have gone to silly prices. I guess I could wash it and ball mill a bit. The stuff I was using is now £22 for 500g, seems steep when you get 5-6 columns out of it,
The cheaper stuff varies widely in particle size and hasnt given good separation. I did think of reusing the gell but everything I have seen and read advises against this

Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2015 at 01:52

Quote: Originally posted by byko3y  
Buy a usual silica gel (beads), crush it with hammer, sift through a large sieve to remove really big particles. Obtained silica gel will have a variable particle size, but is sufficient for simple chromatography.

[Edited on 26-9-2015 by byko3y]

this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-KG-Silica-Gel-for-column-chromat...
is mesh 70-230 and £120 for 8Kg, so the commercial stuff varies widely in size anyway, if I could find the beads at a reasonable price I would ball mill them, I dont get why its jumped so high in price over the last 4 months

Go To Top