Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Amphetamine from Cinnamaldehyde
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 00:20

Quote:
Originally posted by Vitus_Verdegast
2. At room temperature dehydration of 3-phenyl-1-propanol yields allylbenzene as the main product. For example, treatment of allylbenzene with SOCl2 yields chiefly allylbenzene and a small amount of propenylbenzene.
ref: Compt. Rend. 186 (1928) p. 1301, 1626, 1848

i couldn't find any experimental part in that reference.

swip2
Harmless

Mood: Fuck all ya"ll.....

sad.gif posted on 11-8-2008 at 16:31
refs

Could those refs be posted
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 19:05

Quote:
Originally posted by stoichiometric_steve
Quote:
2. At room temperature dehydration of 3-phenyl-1-propanol yields allylbenzene as the main product. For example, treatment of allylbenzene with SOCl2 yields chiefly allylbenzene and a small amount of propenylbenzene.
ref: Compt. Rend. 186 (1928) p. 1301, 1626, 1848

i couldn't find any experimental part in that reference.

Attachment: Franch journal allylbenzene synthesis info.pdf (403kB)
This file has been downloaded 1926 times

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 01:07

Quote:
Originally posted by swip2
Could those refs be posted

Mood: Fuck all ya"ll....

Right backatcha. Perhaps you could download it yourself from Gallica like stoichiometric_steve did.

Related some to some posts in this thread...there is another dehydration of hydrocinnamyl alcohol in the literature that I'm aware of.

But it is as an ester and the product was allylbenzene.

Hydrocinnamyl acetate, b.p. 133° (18 mm.) (61 g., 0.34 mole) was passed over glass wool heated at 460-485°. The pyrolysis product was washed with aqueous sodium carbonate solution, dried and distilled at atmospheric pressure. The yield of allylbenzene, b.p 150-160°, was 31 g. (76%).
-JACS 78, 584 (1956)
swip2
Harmless

Mood: Fuck all ya"ll.....

[*] posted on 15-8-2008 at 18:41

Well the link is all good and everything but Its In French ffs :o..

Is it possible for anyone to translate it, Or provide a link to an english version...

Dose stoichiometric_steve have it in english.

And could S.C. Wack please provide a refrence to the hydrocinnamyl alcohol comment please.
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 16-8-2008 at 00:45

i can read french pretty well but it has NO experimental section.
no1uno
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 12:37

There is at least one reference to researchers having a-brominated cinnamaldehyde to the 2-bromo, which was reduced with yeast to the wanted a-bromophenylpropan-3-ol. The researchers in question claim seriously high enantio-ratios, in using this process for making phenylalaninol/phenylalaninal (I think Solo will know the reference I refer to*). Yeast reduction seems to be a useful route to enantiospecificity, which in the case of such chiral compounds might make it worth a look.

Once you have n-methylphenylalaninol then a number of options open up, the scientific interest would be in the economical production of anti-retroviral agents (which is what the paper deals with). It would be nice if someone could come up with a synthesis for pirating such agents, given that the pharm. companies continue to charge incredible prices (well beyond the means of most sufferers).

* IIRC the part-title makes reference to 'Yeast reduction of cinnamaldehyde derivatives...'?
WizardX
Hazard to Self

Mood: wizardx.suddenlaunch3.com

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 16:49

http://wizardx.t35.com/achive/cinnamic.html

The site in question was violating our TOS and was removed.

I'll upload it again soon.

[Edited on 20-8-2008 by WizardX]

Albert Einstein - \"Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.\"
zgoat65
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 11:51

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
Quote:

I would say the reduction to cynamyl alcohol (or its aquisition given that it's pretty cheap), substitution with conc. HCl to yield cynamyl chloride, reduction with Zn/AcOH to yield 1-phenylpropene from which the route proceeds by well known reactions.

Would this be a valid route to (ref attached) cynnamyl chloride? This seems like the Holy Grail of OTC routes

Attachment: THE_REACTION_BETWEEN_ALCOHOLS_AND_AQUEOUS_SOLUTIONS_OF_HYDROCHLORIC_AND_HYDROBROMIC_ACIDS..pdf (671kB)
This file has been downloaded 1438 times

[Edited on 6-3-2012 by zgoat65]

[Edited on 6-3-2012 by zgoat65]

zgoat65
zgoat65
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 17:39

"There is a reference to the bromination of cinnamyl alcohol in Organic Synthesis (http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=cv5...).

The authors cite a 1918 German paper where it is claimed that cinnamyl bromide can been prepared from cinnamyl alcohol by the action of hydrogen bromide in cold acetic acid. I'm don't know why these conditions wouldn't also brominate the alkene double bond. I don't have access to the paper so I'm afraid I can't help more. You might be able to brominate the alcohol and the halide in one step. If you could selectively dehalogenate the primary, you should be able to from the 2-Bromo-1-phenylpropane. You can then convert the halide to the iodide with the Finkelstein reaction in acetone. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finkelstein_reaction). Finally you should be able to aminate the iodide with methylamine in dry IPA as ++++ has shown with iodosafrole."w

Taken from a thread elsewhere

[Edited on 7-3-2012 by zgoat65]

cinnamyl_alchohol_to_MA-1.gif - 20kB

[Edited on 7-3-2012 by zgoat65]

zgoat65
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 07:23

Quote: Originally posted by Sandmeyer  
Filemon, those links as provided do not prove your point. However, yield of propenylbenzene by the reduction of cinnamic aldehyde is 70% using Huang-Minlon variant of Wolff-Kishner:

http://rapidshare.de/files/28334409/huang.pdf.html

I meen you can't go from that aldehyde for the sake of going from there, even if it involves hydrazine reduction, hinz even suggests Grignard. If this starting material is to be used then I like Nicodems idea of making alcohol, then chloride, then OTC reduction. But to get to propenylbenzene you could go from propiophenone (cheap, IMO probably the best single precursor if you're interested in simple stimulants [including phenmetrazine, which at least Swedish speedfreaks prefer over methamphetamine according to Wikipedia, and one such person did report it better than amph on bluelight]
and have no regard for the law), reduce and dehydrate with tosic or sulfuric. Hell, there are other smoother ways of doing this, but amphetamine dosen't interest me, so you find out..

That link does not exist anymore so if you have a copy, then post it and do not reference it.

[Edited on 6-8-2006 by Sandmeyer]
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 10-3-2012 at 07:56

"The authors cite a 1918 German paper where it is claimed that cinnamyl bromide can been prepared from cinnamyl alcohol by the action of hydrogen bromide in cold acetic acid. I'm don't know why these conditions wouldn't also brominate the alkene double bond. I don't have access to the paper so I'm afraid I can't help more. You might be able to brominate the alcohol and the halide in one step. If you could selectively dehalogenate the primary, you should be able to from the 2-Bromo-1-phenylpropane. You can then convert the halide to the iodide with the Finkelstein reaction in acetone. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finkelstein_reaction). Finally you should be able to aminate the iodide with methylamine in dry IPA as ++++ has shown with iodosafrole."w"

........in your last sentence...."Finally you should be able to aminate the iodide with methylamine in dry IPA as ++++ has shown with iodosafrole."w"......do you have a reference for that statement?.......solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
zgoat65
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-3-2012 at 10:24

OR...........how bout this ref? Forget halogenation/dehalogenation, and go from alcohol to olefin using amalgamated zinc?

http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=cv6...

zgoat65
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-3-2012 at 10:03
License

Quote: Originally posted by Filemon  
Quote:

Be aware that in most countries it is a felony to produce and/or possess amphetamine without a license.

[Edited on 4-8-2006 by Vitus_Verdegast]

Of course, they allow me microsynthesis but it should be immediately destroyed.

Along with most all chemicals we want to buy now. That does not stop us from making what we need.
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-3-2012 at 10:07
Link

Quote: Originally posted by cal  
Filemon, those links as provided do not prove your point. However, yield of propenylbenzene by the reduction of cinnamic aldehyde is 70% using Huang-Minlon variant of Wolff-Kishner:

I meen you can't go from that aldehyde for the sake of going from there, even if it involves hydrazine reduction, hinz even suggests Grignard. If this starting material is to be used then I like Nicodems idea of making alcohol, then chloride, then OTC reduction. But to get to propenylbenzene you could go from propiophenone (cheap, IMO probably the best single precursor if you're interested in simple stimulants [including phenmetrazine, which at least Swedish speedfreaks prefer over methamphetamine according to Wikipedia, and one such person did report it better than amph on bluelight]
and have no regard for the law), reduce and dehydrate with tosic or sulfuric. Hell, there are other smoother ways of doing this, but amphetamine dosen't interest me, so you find out..

That link does not exist anymore so if you have a copy, then post it and do not reference it.

Do you have this document as the download link is no longer available.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard
Thread Moved
25-3-2012 at 14:06
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard
Thread Moved
26-3-2012 at 05:52
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 21:21

Could you repost without using rapidshare? It's really volatile. That link was dead within a few days and I missed it.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 11:43

It's in any arcHive, with Huang-Minlon_propenylbenzene in the file title. Not convenient to quote from.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
cmos6667
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 13:44
Dihydrocinnamyl alcohol dehydration

I read up on this and apparently you need either KHSO4 or conc. H2SO4 and high heat.
However, the product doesn't boil out, even being way past water's BP.

As far as I know, you should remove water but if you go beyond 80C, you get loads of side-reaction product.

Is it possible that (PhCH2CH2CH2)2O is formed and that's why you don't dehydrate?
In that case: can I take say 3 equiv EtOH and 1 equiv PhCH2CH2CH2OH to form the ethyl ether of dihydrocinnamyl alcohol (along with Et2O), then use KHSO4 at 80C to eliminate EtOH while removing it and leaving behind allylbenzene?
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 14:47

Why don't you post what you have read, as this section generally requires references?
cmos6667
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 00:30

Apologies, here: http://chemistry.mdma.ch/hiveboard/chemistrydiscourse/000204...
Before you get any wrong idea: the alkene is at the end position, so wacker or performic or whatever won't work, you need a catalyst under inert atmosphere to rearrange it to the middle ;)
Mesa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 02:12

You should probably add in that the beckmann will also not work on this substrate...
cmos6667
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 04:01

No carbonyl, no beckmann ;)
cmos6667
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 06:34

seriously though, any help here please?
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Threads Merged
11-5-2015 at 11:38
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 15:41

My experience with acrolein tells, that you will get some solid gummy tar as a product, unless you distill your dehydrated product as fast as it is formed.
Allylbenzene has b.p. 156-157°C, so this procedure can be performed pretty easily, until you condense the product back to where it will polimerize.
Those compounds are usually processed in gas phase via heterogenous catalyst, thus ensuring a short contact time.
PS: the problem is called "acid catalyzed alkene polimerization".

[Edited on 11-5-2015 by byko3y]
cmos6667
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-5-2015 at 04:53

fair, solid input, thank you :)
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top