Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Easiest way to quickly scan books
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 19:40
Easiest way to quickly scan books

Want to know firstly, is this legal for scanning books at the library, or pages?

Question is, how can an individual quickly and accurately scan books?

I think the issue is the camera has to be placed at the right height to cover the full page so no cropping is needed.
If this is done can the photographs be printed?

Can someone tell me about OCR and it's effectiveness?
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 19:45

Found a program called booksorber, but so often it's hard to discern whether or not a product is effective, or if it's just a bunch of sales hype.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 19:47

It is legal to scan in most countries but not publish the scans if the book is under copyright.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 20:07

there is a nice program called VueScan which is very good for that sort of thing. I use it for all scanning (and I do a lot for book publishing and personal archiving) one of the really handy features is the ability to perform continuous scanning, ie multi pages without clicking anything. it can also save in multiple formats simultaneously. for OCR you cant beat OmniPage for accuracy and speed

Beginning construction of periodic table display
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 20:13

Is it fast or do you have to crop pages and stuff?
bob800
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 20:30

DocScan HD for the ipad/iphone is surprisingly effective at automatically cropping, maximizing contrast, etc. Way faster than using a scanner and possibly faster than using a camera.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 6-10-2015 at 03:34

VueScan has features including cropping certain areas and image control built in. there is a simple and advanced mode and settings are all saved on exit. you can set up a book and then scan it all as fast as your scanner can operate.

Beginning construction of periodic table display
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 6-10-2015 at 10:44

I'm beginning to think it's going to be more trouble than (or then?) It is worth to digitalise some books.

There are a lot of things that must be done
There is
*page curvature
*splitting the page into two
*getting the full page to be covered
*getting the numbers of the page right
*getting it into PDF
*OCR would be awesome

How can this be done? I want something that is extremely quick, I don't want to crop and align each page. It seems like a lot of software takes a while to use. I just basically am wanting to snap a page, turn a page as quickly as possible, then hit few buttons to have the picture of two pages split, and have everything be in numerical order. I guess the pages don't even need to be split, other than the fact that I may want to print individual pages versus having the two pages in the image come out
Any advice?

Guess main concern is I don't want to photograph odds and evrns, I want to do them both and get then to split and do a fit to page so 1 photograph gets 2 pages

Guessing what I really want to do is
Take a photo of both pages
Then have software split them, and number them

Ahhhhhhhh I'm nervous about trying some software and then finding out I have to manipulate and invest time into each picture

[Edited on 6-10-2015 by Yttrium2]
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 6-10-2015 at 13:09

Scanning books and preparing them for publication as pdf or other format is inherently
tedious and time consuming. The google books project apparently has some really
good software. My understanding is that they calibrate for page curvature every few
dozen page turns as it shifts through the book. They also have much better cameras than
you are likely to have. And they still have completely unreadable pages and the OCR is
still pretty bad. So the short answer is plan on spending some time on even one book.
I looked into this as I have some books I would prefer in digital format and the cost
and time was too much. Now if you have a lot of free time, it is a great hobby.
Also if you can destroy the books, it is much easier as then you can use a regular scanner.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 10:53

I have tried this as well, and found that for small books it is easier to photocopy pages one at a time and then run the final pile of paper into a scanner after checking their quality than to try to scan one page at a time and stick them all together later. I have also used a library quality overhead camera scanner, and it was slow, tedious, and painful, although the scans were great quality. Betterworldbooks now offers a service where you can buy a used book from them and they will destructively scan it into a PDF and send it to you by email. So it is one way to get an electronic book without doing it yourself, but you don't get the hard copy back. I have not seen many cell phone camera images of text that were readable, although I know that their quality is improving quickly. Plus the memory on some phones would fill up quickly.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 06:48

www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2442

Techniques to Disrupt, Deviate and Seize Control of an Internet Forum In case you wonder W T F ! is going on here ?
www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2012-10-28/cointelpro-techniques-dilution-misdirection-and-control-internet-forum https://web.archive.org/web/20120814124000/www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/08/the-15-rules-of-internet-disinformation.html
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Go To Top