deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 03:25
Neutrino absorption and ejection of neutron-proton pairs

The following article refers:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/neutrino-minerva/

Quote:
The appearance of an extra proton alongside a neutron-turned-proton indicates that neutrinos tend to strike particle pairs. “Twenty-five percent of the time, with some uncertainties, protons are traveling around with neutrons,” Harris says.

Hypothetically speaking, could this mean that some kind of paired state occurring in the nucleus makes it particularly susceptible to interacting with the incoming neutrino?

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 09:17

It most certainly does.

The only way i can explain why is in agaspace terms, and i don't feel confident with mainstream Quantum terms yet, so would struggle to explain it, let alone offer any mathematical explanation.

vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 16-10-2015 at 11:29

There is pairing in the nucleus. There is probably a good reason why certain isotopes eject alpha particles, rather than just a proton or just a neutron or a deteuron or triton.

Elements that have an even number of proton and even number of neutrons tend to be more abundant, perhaps because they are more stable.
Doubly odd numbered nuclei are more rare.

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 16-10-2015 at 12:27

What I was trying to say is that the state might not be a permanent one but some kind of rare excited state that happens and that such a state had a larger (maybe much larger) cross section (if that's even the correct term, I know very little about physics) for neutrino absorption so that while this state might occur infrequently, when it does occur, it is rather likely to capture the neutrino and so this is why you see quite a large percentage of pair ejection event's (25%).

Or another possibility is that this state occurs very frequently and doesn't have any greater ability absorb neutrinos and that's why you see the 25% of events.

But it seems unlikely that there's some continuously and rapidly occuring state change as one would think that nuclear state changes have very large activation energies and so are rare events which points to my original assertion, that if they're rare, yet one sees 25% of the neutrino absorption occurring with this special symptom of pair ejection, then it follows that this special state, whatever it is, must be very prone to absorbing neutrinos.

If what causes it could be understood, then there might be some mechanism to efficiently absorb neutrinos.

That would change the world, imagine solar panels that work day and night :cool:

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 16-10-2015 at 12:55

Quote: Originally posted by deltaH  
the state might not be a permanent one but some kind of rare excited state that happens and that such a state had a larger (maybe much larger) cross section

Is anything in a Permanent State at the subatomic level ?

QM says not - it's all in 'motion'.

'Larger' is a relative term.

Maybe not Larger in Size (as in Area) yet the properties that would be conducive to neutrino capture could be vastly larger.

Imagine a particle passing the event horizon of a black hole.

This particle has zero mass and is not subject to gravity.

It passes by totally unmolested, as if the black hole were not even there.

Imagine it has a huge -ve electrical charge to make up for it's lack of mass.

It encounters a small +ve charged particle. Boom !

The single H+ ion grabs it where the black hole failed.

Go To Top