Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Concentrating H202
havokane
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 20:11
Concentrating H202

when you buy 3% peroxide from the drug store, how do you concentrate it for use in Acetone Peroxide? from what ive read, 30% or stronger peroxide seems ideal, or, instead of concetrating it, where can i obtain the stronger peroxide? and is muratic acid acceptable to use as the catalyst? i dont want to use sulferic acid because id like to keep my appendages. and pure HCL is hard to find. thanks for the help

HavoKane
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 20:14

There are already threads on this. Plus you don't need to concentrate it for AP. Just adjust the volumes so the amount of H2O2 is the same.

[Edited on 8/7/2006 by guy]

ethan_c
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 20:30

Quote:
Originally posted by havokane
when you buy 3% peroxide from the drug store, how do you concentrate it for use in Acetone Peroxide? from what ive read, 30% or stronger peroxide seems ideal, or, instead of concetrating it, where can i obtain the stronger peroxide? and is muratic acid acceptable to use as the catalyst? i dont want to use sulferic acid because id like to keep my appendages. and pure HCL is hard to find. thanks for the help

Before you start a new thread to ask a question, you should try using the 'Search' button in the upper left corner. There are threads on concentrating H2O2, threads on adjusting volume in the synthesis of AP to use 3%, and threads on where to get/how to make HCl.

"Muriatic acid" should be a couple dollars a gallon at any real hardware store. However, citric acid is probably what you want- it is cheaper, available, much safer, and is supposed to give a better yield. Stronger peroxide (>8%) is not so easy to find (I have had no luck so far), but try hair supply stores and ask for the pure concentrated peroxide rather than a cream with peroxide in it. There are ways to concentrate the 3%, such as careful boiling, but check other threads for this information.
havokane
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 20:52

ok, thanks, sorry for the repost. and for citric acid, use what? lemon juice?
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 21:04

If you don't know what to use and can't figure out how to modifiy the 'recipe' then I honestly suggest you do not perform the reaction.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 21:18

Quote:
Originally posted by havokane
ok, thanks, sorry for the repost. and for citric acid, use what? lemon juice?

The acid is just a catalyst. Citric acid should be strong enough to make the reaction proceed fairly well.

The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 21:22

Gah....

1) Mindless discussion of explosives a retarded 4 year old could synth IS NOT ALLOWED
2) USE GOOGLE, this crap is all over the internet
3) Sentences start with capital letters
4) The convention is to capitalise the word I, you did not do this, but in any case you are undeserving of the capital
5) You are a Kewl
6)Mindless discussion of explosives a retarded 4 year old could synth IS NOT ALLOWED

You are nowhere near ready enough to prepare an explosive.

[Edited on 7-8-2006 by rogue chemist]
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 22:07

<b>Rogue is this you?</b>
The user is named Rogue chemist

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lSP04Y761ok

Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 22:28

Good grief. Basically, what rogue chemist said. I doubt that citric acid will work. Even uncatalyzed, the reaction can happen, but it will be slower and yield a high percentage of monomeric peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide disinfectant can be greatly concentrated by heating it in a glass vessel at room temperature until the volume has been reduced to 1/10 to 1/20 of what it started out as; yes, some will decompose and some will be lost to evaporation but the concentration is quite considerable. You shouldn't need more than a few mL of strong H2O2 unless you're aiming for a Darwin award anyway.

Acetone peroxide is very unforgiving. Of the 5 people I personally know who have made it, 3 people have had mishaps with it. One had to have what was left of his hand cut off at the wrist. They weren't even especially stupid. The one who lost his hand was one of the smartest people I've met. One of the other two was me. We had the excuse that when we made it, we couldn't use the internet to learn about this mysterious substance or its dangers. Now you can, and you don't have to learn the hard way.

I'm sure that if I left this thread open there could be people willing to offer testimonials about how they've made kilograms over the years, and who never suffered any harm, but you should be looking at how many people don't get away with it, not how many people do.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 22:29

WTF....DAMN IT Some kewl has the sameonline name as me.:mad:
No, that is not me.

He seems to have an aligator, judging by his other videos. I want an aligator.

EDIT, on on closer examination, might not be such a Kewl, but still is not me.

EDIT2: Upon googling, there also seems to be a 'roguechemist' on totalsynthesis.com, and on dreamviews.com, neither of which are me. Here and APC are the the only forums under which I go under the name 'rogue chemist'. I had many times googled my username, just never without the space.

[Edited on 7-8-2006 by rogue chemist]

Go To Top