Printable Version  
Author: Subject: expensive stupidity
argyrium
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 10:53
expensive stupidity

Bomb Squad Called In To Remove Potentially Explosive Girl Scout Memorabilia

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/10/14/bomb-squad-called-in-to-remove-potentially-explosive-girl-scout-memorabilia/
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 11:16

“We had probably a half dozen. But the bomb squad said that was enough to take out our house, and maybe some of the neighbors.”

Tabun
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 12:18

http://www.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article3134916.html

Check this out...

"Nitroglycerin can be used to make explosives and isn't normally found in a chemistry lab"-no s**t...are they more concerned about the HE made with NG than the NG itself or what?

"About 1,100 students were evacuated Wednesday morning from the high school after police recommended the move to district administrators in the wake of reports that hazardous materials, possibly explosives, could be in Huhndorf's classroom"

"Fong also said there were documents that led them to believe the room contained explosive materials."-Seriously?Do those guys have at least the smallest connection with what an explosive is?Are they really that stupid or the "only the state profesionalls can" arrogance is above the sky?How the hell do they end with that job?
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 13:07

"Professional"

I always struggle with that one.

To me it just means "Someone getting Paid to do it".

Tabun
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 13:16

I was trying to find some KCl(If I ask for sodium free salt I will get a strange look and "isn't sodium salt?")...same **** : "Our product is for professional use only" and nobody was selling to amateurs.

[Edited on 21-10-2015 by Tabun]
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 13:21

KCl is widely available as water softener or road de-icer, surely it's not that hard to find? Why would a food product be "for professional use only"?

Sorry sir, these steaks are only sold to officially-licensed Chefs with the proper authorization paperwork in-hand.
Tabun
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 13:36

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
KCl is widely available as water softener or road de-icer, surely it's not that hard to find? Why would a food product be "for professional use only"?

Sorry sir, these steaks are only sold to officially-licensed Chefs with the proper authorization paperwork in-hand.

Because the only sources I found(acceptable ones,not NaCl-KCl mixtures or the like) were chemical vendors.I already said to someone on this site,I asked where can I find some stores to buy sodium bisulfite in a city near my place and someone asked me why don't I just buy some already made TNT and other guy warned me to be careful what I do...I'm just getting tired of their sh*t.
And just to make everything more ridiculous they won't sell you KNO3 because you can use them to make BP but 5kg of AN are about 3 euros.Nice,small,white pellets.Isn't it amazing...?

[Edited on 21-10-2015 by Tabun]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 22-10-2015 at 01:19

I've never heard of KCl used as de-icer but it's a commonly used fertiliser, sold in large sacks!

The substances used to prill it can be filtered off leaving the salt.

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 24-10-2015 at 16:34

Aw gee. I can buy KCl at the super market.

Some chains carry salt substitutes that are pure KCl. Seems like it's about 3 bucks for about 8 ounces.

Not exactly cheap, if you need a lot. But, cheap enough, if you just need a small amount.

Also, I'm concerned about the depiction of all LEOs as being dumb.

Plenty are, and plenty aren't.

I might also suggest that some of our posters are probably LEOs, and certainly many of our readers.

That's why I try to use small words.

Naw, just kidding fellas. I know you're pretty sharp.
Bad boys always get caught. That's proof enough.

[Edited on 25-10-2015 by zed]
Spirit of Niter
Harmless

Mood: Varies...

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 20:44

The Explosive Girl Scout Memorabilia story is quite interesting.

““We had probably a half dozen. But the bomb squad said that was enough to take out our house, and maybe some of the neighbors,” Altvater said.”

Either the “professionals” were exaggerating for the sake of the story or they had no real understand of what explosive potential they were dealing with.
I’m no expert nor am I a professional but I’m sure a half dozen of picric acid laced gauze pads isn’t going to decimate a home with some possible collateral damage.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" -Albert Einstein
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 21:05

Yes, there is no way 6 gauze pads containing probably a maximum of 2 -3 grams Trinitrophenol are going to bring a house down.

I think it is the usual scare tactics the media employ whenever explosives are involved in a story.

[Edited on 13-11-2015 by greenlight]

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 21:26

Quote: Originally posted by greenlight  
Yes, there is no way 6 gauze pads containing probably a maximum of 2 -3 grams Trinitrophenol are going to bring a house down.

I think it is the usual scare tactics the media employ whenever explosives are involved in a story.

[Edited on 13-11-2015 by greenlight]

That's one of the most real statements I've heard in awhile. It'd probably take a few pounds of the stuff, placed well, to take down a building like that.
Spirit of Niter
Harmless

Mood: Varies...

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 21:42

Quote: Originally posted by Hawkguy  

That's one of the most real statements I've heard in awhile. It'd probably take a few pounds of the stuff, placed well, to take down a building like that.

True, but realistically who’s going to synthesize several lbs of picric acid. That’s what people who don’t know anything about explosive won’t understand or least won't care to understand.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" -Albert Einstein

Go To Top