Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lab Jack Needed?
zombiedude1
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 17:19
Lab Jack Needed?

I have 2 (8x5"b ; 20"L rod) lab stands.
I have an old 7x7" VWR Model 320 hot plate w/stirrer. (Entire unit is 9x10")

I plan on using a (copper or aluminum) bowl on top of the hot plate, filled with either Lab Armor beads, or Copper plated steel BB's as a bath for the round bottom flasks. Are there any better ways besides a heating mantle? (Which I decided against due to me wanting a large variety of sizes of glass)

So here's my issue:

What should I do to be able to lower my bath and easily remove when needed, since my lab stand is only 20". I would be unable to support a tall reflux setup with a jack.

DETAILS
If I purchase a 10x10" lab jack to be able to lower the hotplate/bath, will the lab jack even be suitable? ...

Assuming the lab jacks lowest height is approximately 3", the hotplate being 4", and another inch for the bath = 8".

Considering my bath will be approximately 4-5" deep for a 2000ml rbf, I will need to raise the jack about 6" in order to remove the bath completely.

The total height for distillation with a jack + hotplate + 1" for the bath would be: 14"

14" from the table is where the bottom of the flask will sit.
Another 3" up is where the 3-prong claw will hold the top of the flask.

This leaves absolutely no height to have more clamps/claws holding the glass; considering my rods are only 20" in height.

SIDE NOTE:
I have been reading this forum for quite a while to use as answers for many topics. I decided to create an account now as I am getting started in chemistry as a hobby. I apologize for not posting this in "beginnings," I wasn't paying attention. I do have a bit of a background in science/chemistry as an Engineering/business student and very experienced with personal beer/wine and ethanol-fuel distillation experiments.

I plan on synthesizing OTC drugs, as well as other medicines/useful chemistry that would be valuable in an apocalyptic or off-grid living scenario. Perhaps even dabble into personal research after learning more for a few years. I've spent around $2,000 on equipment for this new hobby, and have 5 different condensers; so I can't wait to start learning more hands-on!

[Edited on 22-10-2015 by zombiedude1]

[Edited on 22-10-2015 by zombiedude1]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 17:25

Here's mine. Cost me nothing. If I need to go higher I set it on an upturned bucket.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=61783&...
zombiedude1
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 17:31

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Here's mine. Cost me nothing. If I need to go higher I set it on an upturned bucket.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=61783&...

LOL.
This crossed my mind as well, but it still doesn't solve my situation with height issues.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 22-10-2015 at 01:53

I have two lab jacks one on top of the other, they are held together with mole grips but do have a bolt hole in the top (I find it quicker to use mole grips)

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-10-2015 at 02:31

Considering the relative costs, would it not be easier and cheaper to buy a longer support pole ?
zombiedude1
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-10-2015 at 19:58

Yeah, I think I'll just whip out the TIG machine and weld up a set of support poles and bars with stainless steel rods.
Only problem is my chem table is glass, and I like to keep things neat (It's a lab!).

Looks like I'll be needing to get a wooden table so I can fix the rods into it.
I'd like to make a stainless steel table with a fume hood, but I'm worried about rust issues with HCl.

I have a 435cfm centrifugal fan w/speed controller, would this be suitable for a fume hood? (For future reference)
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-10-2015 at 14:58

I've never used a lab jack; sometimes I stack up blocks... but they sure do look cool.

Go To Top