Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: JJay Makes Anhydrous Ethanol
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 19:05

Hah!

So anyway, after spending about 16 man hours distilling so-called "denatured alcohol," I also have several methanol fractions that contain some ethanol that is very hard to separate.... I also have about 50 mL of ethanol, undoubtedly contaminated with petroleum distillates and traces of methanol. I am going to dehydrate it with molecular sieves... and in the future I'm just going to buy reagent grade ethanol like everybody else.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 19:22

laugh. I'VE BEEN TO THE PEN. Check incarceration rates. US is highest ON EARTH, EVER.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

zombiedude1
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 20:37

Yeah, distilling denatured alcohol is tough to fraction when you have petroleum distillates and over 40% methanol. Try to get everclear if it's legal in your state. Best to use the turbo yeast and sugar as mentioned before if you wanna go that route.

But to anyone else who stumbles upon this thread, keep in mind that it IS currently 100% illegal to distill ethanol for any purposes without a permit in the United States.
(Trying to keep people correctly informed on this forum)

If you truly believe that loophole will protect you, try calling your local PD before getting on the wrong side of the law. Perhaps you could prove us wrong with professional legal advice?
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 23:01

Let me explain it to you this way: Working with denatured alcohol is like carrying an unloaded gun. A lot of people, even gun advocates, will tell you that it's illegal without a permit, but there are laws on the books specifically for the purpose of making it legal. That stated, if you are walking around with an unloaded gun with no permit and casually pull it out in a nonthreatening manner for a legitimate purpose in front of a police officer, he's not going to like it, even if he can't really arrest you. So if you have your still hidden in a camouflaged underground lair five miles from your nearest neighbor and visit it only under the cover of darkness in the dead of night, you won't have to explain to the police that you were just working with denatured alcohol.

So anyway, I now have about 250 mL of approximately 190 proof mostly ethanol. It has a burnt smell, and I certainly wouldn't try drinking it. I'm going to fractionate it a few more times before adding the sieves... and I'm thinking about maybe trying to deodorize it with some carbon.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 01:04

I took 100 mL from the middle of a distillation run and poured it over 50 g 3A molecular seives in a 250 mL Erlenmeyer. Now I'm going to let it sit for a day or so and redistill directly into the reaction vessel.

20151106_235327.jpg - 759kB

[Edited on 7-11-2015 by JJay]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 16:53

I ended up getting only 68 mL of liquid from the seives.... I didn't measure the ethanol very precisely when I put it into the flask, just using the graduations on the flask, but I expected more.

It's currently distilling through column. I have a drying tube hooked to my distillation apparatus. I got a very sharp separation between a couple of mL of methanol and the ethanol.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 17:01

Oh and interestingly, when I opened the flask of alcohol and sieves this morning, it popped like a champagne bottle. The reaction between 3A sieves and 95% ethanol is mildly exothermic; the flask was slightly warm every time I touched it yesterday, but it was cold today.

[Edited on 8-11-2015 by JJay]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 17:30

I now have 63.0 mL of very dry ethanol sitting in a stoppered 250 mL boiling flask. Now to dry out my condenser, measure the other reagents, and start the reaction....

[Edited on 8-11-2015 by JJay]
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 10:42

there is an EDIT button, or are you just trying to jack up your post count? Watch out, aga will fart on you.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 10:43

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 11:47

Nah, if I were trying to jack up my post count, I'd be posting the pretty pictures of last night's reaction :)
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top