Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reptile bulbs for TLC visualization?
Electra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 13:19
Reptile bulbs for TLC visualization?

I'm currently shopping for my first TLC-kit. Still hunting for some cheap plates, but in the mean time I found some reptile bulbs at a local pet store that seek to have a peaking frequency in the 254nm range for under $10. These bulbs also output in visible regions. Would this visible light interfere with being able to properly visualizing the TLC plate?
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 14:41

Lizard Alien light is good for TLC.

Depends on what you wish to visualise, i.e. what you wish to See.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 19:40

Using a filter to remove most of the visible light will allow you to see the fluorescence and quenching much better. You can also visualize spots on TLCs with iodine (a little mixed with silica gel works well), ninhydrin, vanillin, permangenate and many other stains. Depends on what reagents you can get hold of, and what you are trying to visualize.

if you are in the US, I have some various TLC plates left, most are large ones (8" x 8") which need cutting to use, but I have a few smaller ones left. When I started, you had to either cut big ones, or make your own, but now most people buy them precut. But they can be cut and used just fine, it does take a little practice to score and snap them, but it is doable.

AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 19:48

Following up on Dr Bob's comments regarding non-uv visualization of tlc spots, the attached book is quite useful.

AvB

Attachment: Dyeing_Reagents_TLC.pdf (271kB)
This file has been downloaded 253 times

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 22:30

Don't forget the iodine vault. Place a few crystals in a vessel with a lid appropriate for your plates.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top