Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to get the Lithium metal out of cellphone batteries?
antimon
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 05:14
How to get the Lithium metal out of cellphone batteries?

Hi, i am free this weekend to do whatever i want, the wife and kids are going to visit her sister.
So i was thinking about maybe doing some experimenting.

I havent decided what to do yet, but i have been wanting to take my Li ion cell phone battery collection and take out the metal, and make a Li salt that i can use later as an electrolyte when i am getting started with my fuel cell.

And/or, i am thinking about refining some of my sterling silver. I just hope that i will have time to do both.

Ps. I have some MnO2 that i was planning to make Mn Dioxide of, but i think its pretty "dirty" right now, so i want to get rid of all the impurities.
How do i do that the best way?

And also, i dont have any titanium electrodes to coat it with. Can i use some other electrode metal?

Im sorry if this post is a mess, i am on my way home on the bus, and it is packed with people, and super hot, so.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 05:25

Li ion batteries don't contain metallic lithium

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

ganger631
Hazard to Self

Mood: Plata o plomo

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 10:08

Your best bet is to open some lithium batteries. Like arkoma said, lithium ion battery does not contain any metallic battery.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 10:21

Specifically Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. As said before, 'lithium ion' battery chemistry is very different than 'lithium' batteries. Trying to break open a lithium ion battery might lead to one of these fun situations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpb-n22Y-sY

Go To Top