Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: petroleum jelly
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 16:14
petroleum jelly

Could someone please explain to me how petroleum jelly can be considered "poor man's C4".

re: UCMerced attack yesterday

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
OneEyedPyro
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 17:31

Petroleum jelly has no explosive properties by itself but if you mix it with Na/KClO3 you get a weak plastic explosive.
I'm guessing that's where the poor mans C4 reference came from
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 18:11

Quote: Originally posted by OneEyedPyro  
Petroleum jelly has no explosive properties by itself but if you mix it with Na/KClO3 you get a weak plastic explosive.
I'm guessing that's where the poor mans C4 reference came from

Cheddite

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
Duster
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 18:23

I don't normally chime in, mainly because I wouldnt have much to contribute (I read a lot) but since I am very familiar with Merced (for the record I am not nor ever was a student there), and since legit as well as improvised explosives is a subject I love learning about, I figure maybe I'll post this one time... for now...

Anyway, yeah cheddite is the "type" of explosive it is. It's a very popular (as in often repeated) homemade explosive mixture. Now honestly I've never seen it/done it, so everything I'm saying is what I've picked up online.

However, I do know the term "poor man's c4" was popularized by Ragnar Benson in one of his books of similar name. It's also listed in the ever popular KIPE, a few videos on youtube, and a couple threads here. While I can't confirm (I don't have a copy) I wouldn't be surprised if the anarchist cookbook lists it as well.

Since its against the rules I won't go into anything as far as performance, application, etc etc. Plus that's not what was asked anyway.

On a side note, NBC's website had an article that was put up earlier today and quoted the sheriff as being told by the bomb squad that petroleum jelly can be made into an inciendary. While I suppose technically true, I think one of them got a little mixed up in definitions but I digress.
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
5-11-2015 at 18:26
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 18:42

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Could someone please explain to me how petroleum jelly can be considered "poor man's C4".

Same reason Dr. Johnson defined "Pastern" as "the knee of a horse".

Quote:

A lady once asked him how he came to define Pastern the KNEE of a horse: instead of making an elaborate defence, as she expected, he at once answered, ‘Ignorance, madam, pure ignorance.’

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 19:34

What irks me is how the word "lockdown" is used after an incident. Idiot wigs out, gets killed, threat OVER. Lockdown is what happens in the 'pen' after a riot.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Go To Top