Author: Subject: What to do about the sheeple
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 18-9-2006 at 12:55

To be rightist about it, all the more money for us skilled persons. :shrug:

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 20-9-2006 at 06:39

Unskilled is a powerful discriptor. Not everyone is cut out for university level education and there is nothing wrong with that IMO. But the problem is that in the States the amount of trade / technical schools has dwindled to an all time low. We need plumbers, electricians, etc. but the push is for kids to go to a four year school and the majority (again my opinion) are nowhere near ready to compete in such an environment.
I did well in school but I also see that the "dumbing down" of the secondary schools is so powerful that their "product" is very poor indeed. My wife was working on her doctorate and was in a class as a TA, she would bring the papers home to grade and we would look at them.....JESUS CHRIST! It was nothing like anything I would have ever believed! People who we supposedly Junior-level in an undergrad class could not put a coherant sentance together to save their lives.....maybe 3 out of 10 could perform at expected level....Maybe.
Now I know I am going to get a lot of Hell for saying this but what happens in the US is that unskilled labour from Mexico comes here and takes the technical jobs...THEY have NO skills (for the most part) and do a damn lousy job, thus we have homes that are substandard and builders make $...
.....Damn that sounds a bit rightist as well. (shrug)

tumadre
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-9-2006 at 12:42

no, the substandard homes are due to the building requirements and many other complex factors,

unskilled labor is not the reason a house can get built with half the foundation left out because it "wasn't needed"

a smart man can make $50-70,000 in the Seattle area after about 4 years as an electrician, but the thing is, the average high schooler who is qualified for that work is already in the top 25 % of his class and goes to college.

maybe the national IQ is dropping...
it takes a good intelegence level to be a part of any construction job, if you want to do more than pull rope.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 21-9-2006 at 18:38

Here's just another example of how society views us. Now even Spiderman is on the attack. He's even picking on vulture. :P

EbC: reduced picture size.

[Edited on 26-1-2007 by chemoleo]

spiderman.jpg - 78kB

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top