Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: RogueSci Mirror
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 20-11-2015 at 13:34

I see. RS once had a thread on the viability of a distributed website. I suppose nothing became of it, but it would be interesting to try that one's self. What they meant was a set of physically hidden servers using public WiFi to host a forum. Not likely, but possible, to work.

Agari
Banned

Mood: Lowest Oxidation State

[*] posted on 20-11-2015 at 14:57

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
I see. RS once had a thread on the viability of a distributed website. I suppose nothing became of it, but it would be interesting to try that one's self. What they meant was a set of physically hidden servers using public WiFi to host a forum. Not likely, but possible, to work.

I can't find any such thread,do you mind linking it?

Element Collection Status:
Elements Acquired: 21/91
Latest: Lead (Pb)
Quantity: 12g
-----------------------------------------------------
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2015 at 06:07

Here it is: http://parazite.nn.fi/roguesci/index.php/t-4381.html
'Rogue Servers'. If you Google Polverlone (I always butcher his name...) and distributed website, there's an article by him on some other website about it, too.
Interesting stuff.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2015 at 06:32

You can run a dark web site in VirtualBox pretty easily. Tor doesn't allow load balancing in the same way that it can be done on the regular internet, but I'm sure there are ways to do a distributed website.
Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 21-11-2015 at 08:57

Here it is: http://parazite.nn.fi/roguesci/index.php/t-4381.html
'Rogue Servers'.
Interesting stuff.

It is sad that RS was not able to get a botnet of backup servers running before it went down. Your archive is outdated,there are only 100 threads on the site you linked,while the Deep Web site has 239 in just that section of the forum.

[Edited on 21-11-2015 by Agari]

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-11-2015 at 15:38

Is 'botnet' what that's called? Also, has anyone ever tried to contact the users and bring them back to any sort of forum? Not that Prov. would like having too many of the ruffians here...
I just searched the web for a backup to show the page I meant.

Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 22-11-2015 at 16:01

Is 'botnet' what that's called?

Definition of "botnet":A network of private computers infected with software and controlled as a group.
I think rigging servers to host the RogueSci website would fit right in with that.

[Edited on 23-11-2015 by Agari]

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-11-2015 at 16:24

Yeah, but their idea was to host hidden, private, small servers, not infect pre-existing ones, I think.

Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 25-11-2015 at 15:50

Yeah, but their idea was to host hidden, private, small servers, not infect pre-existing ones, I think.

Quote:

The original post:
Hmmm....trying to think of how many public libraries, universities, and businesses have static IP's with broadband connections, and how hard would it be to give them a free UPS? ;)
Naturally prices will have to come down a bit more before they become disposable, but I think it's possible that, one day, RS.org could exist not on any one server that can be shut down, but on a TOR'ified distributed network of stealth servers around the world.
Members would run a client application that would let them view and post, with the changes being distributed on an ad hoc basis to the various servers around the world.
Other possibilities are VoIP phones, since they require a broadband connection. Hell, maybe one day microwave ovens and refrigerators could server as RS servers (since everything is getting wired nowadays)
I've seen HTML servers on a chip that cost about $5 that could be hooked up to payphone lines and used as dial-up hosts. Slow as fuck, but any port in a storm, and could serve as a means of getting the log-in info for a faster node of the RS blacknet.

I don't know, it sounds like he is satirically suggesting piggybacking on the servers of public places. On a more serious note, if members could voluntarily allow the RS website to take up their networks,they are technically becoming part of a botnet.
Going back to the topic of chemical weapons:After reading through a few references, it can be concluded that the GB synthesis on the E&W forum will work...in theory(Using cyclohexanol for the synthesis could also possibly work,but it will result in the even deadlier GF rather than GB). Being a k3wl recipe,the synthesis guide left out a few steps in the preparation of the chemicals that it calls for, such as distillation,oil bath heating,etc.,so we should take it with the grain of salt that it deserves to be taken with,especially since it was posted by the same member that thought that Guanidine Carbonate was explosive.Obviously,trying to pull off the method that he suggested would result in death unless you have a full HAZMAT suit and a respirator.
Edit: I am going to read into what the forum has regarding anything besides cookery or weapons of mass destruction.

[Edited on 26-11-2015 by Agari]

iExplore
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 04:39

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

Quote:

What was the purpose of RogueSci? Just another drug-making site, or more than that?

Roguesci.org was home to the E&W forum.

One moderator was NBK2000, aka Art Carnes. Who was a proud US prison system varietal neonazi, and published there such things as this lovely short story about flying a light plane over a Florida Spring break beach, spraying the college kids with a mixture of mustard gas and lewisite.

http://parazite.nn.fi/roguesci/index.php/t-4226.html

Threads on synthesis of cholinesterase inhibitor nerve agents from over the counter ingredients? A-OK! (And they did come up with plausible paths to sarin, etc.) Uploading the complete Philip Luty books on home made submachine guns? Highly approved. Discussion of improvised directional fragmentation mines, and testing of same- With commentary on their use in the coming race wars? All good.

Regardless, it was not without certain charms. More than a few older members here were also found on roguesci.

Roguesci made for fascinating reading (because who doesn't love taboo stuff and knowledge that "the man" says must never be known!) but far too often it devolved into stuff that made the skin crawl.

I don't recall exactly when it went down - maybe around 2009/2010? For a brief period it looked like it was making a comeback with a site overhaul, but it was never completed.

I actually started lurking here in search of a saner version of roguesci; I wanted to find a place that still discussed topics of interest but where it was done for the love of science rather than mental masturbation over the idea of killing people.

For those who might be interested in the fate of roguesci's infamous moderator NBK, he recently lost an appeal and is still facing 50 to life for murder. Reading through some of the more gruesome details mentioned in the judgment and thinking back to some of his threads... yeah, suddenly you see his posts in a slightly different light, but overall it wasn't surprising.

The following link is to a PDF of the judgment:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/nonpub/C071147.PDF

Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 09:10

Quote: Originally posted by iExplore  
Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

Quote:

What was the purpose of RogueSci? Just another drug-making site, or more than that?

Roguesci.org was home to the E&W forum.

One moderator was NBK2000, aka Art Carnes. Who was a proud US prison system varietal neonazi, and published there such things as this lovely short story about flying a light plane over a Florida Spring break beach, spraying the college kids with a mixture of mustard gas and lewisite.

http://parazite.nn.fi/roguesci/index.php/t-4226.html

Threads on synthesis of cholinesterase inhibitor nerve agents from over the counter ingredients? A-OK! (And they did come up with plausible paths to sarin, etc.) Uploading the complete Philip Luty books on home made submachine guns? Highly approved. Discussion of improvised directional fragmentation mines, and testing of same- With commentary on their use in the coming race wars? All good.

Regardless, it was not without certain charms. More than a few older members here were also found on roguesci.

Roguesci made for fascinating reading (because who doesn't love taboo stuff and knowledge that "the man" says must never be known!) but far too often it devolved into stuff that made the skin crawl.

I don't recall exactly when it went down - maybe around 2009/2010? For a brief period it looked like it was making a comeback with a site overhaul, but it was never completed.

I actually started lurking here in search of a saner version of roguesci; I wanted to find a place that still discussed topics of interest but where it was done for the love of science rather than mental masturbation over the idea of killing people.

For those who might be interested in the fate of roguesci's infamous moderator NBK, he recently lost an appeal and is still facing 50 to life for murder. Reading through some of the more gruesome details mentioned in the judgment and thinking back to some of his threads... yeah, suddenly you see his posts in a slightly different light, but overall it wasn't surprising.

The following link is to a PDF of the judgment:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/nonpub/C071147.PDF

If the website went down in 2009/2010, then the Deep Web site has most of the data mirrored,the latest archive was on January 18th, 2009.
I do not find that someone whose ultimate fantasy was spraying millions of people with a combination of a blistering agent and an organoarsenic compound was found guilty of murder surprising. :)
This is taken straight from the PDF:
Quote:

Defendant lived in a shed on Matthew Seybert’s Galt property, and worked for
him, although they often argued. Defendant mentioned killing his enemies, and
threatened Seybert in a barn on the property. Defendant showed Timothy Milano his
AK-47 assault rifle, and said he knew how to knock people out with chloroform. On
November 17, 2007, Seybert told a friend he was going to move and not take defendant,
and he expected defendant to be very upset by this news. On November 22, 2007,
Milano went to Seybert’s home and found “a ghost town,” with Seybert’s medications
and computer equipment missing.
On December 4, 2007, peace officers found a bullet hole in Seybert’s bloody
bedroom. Later, they found his severed head and body parts on the property. Seybert’s
body had been stabbed more than 20 times, and he was partly emasculated.

NBK clearly doesn't know how long chloroform actually takes to knock someone out,the woman that testified that Mr.Carnes used chloroform to knock her out probably THOUGHT that it was chloroform,when in reality it was either BROMOform or knockout gas like sevoflurane. I'm surprised that he wasn't found to be not guilty by reason of insanity for all of the other things that he did. How old was Arthur Carnes when he was arrested? Normally,murder amounts to a life sentence,he is either very young or old enough that spending 50 years in prison would be the equivalent of a life sentence.

careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 10:47

Reminds me a bit of Hans Reiser, another violent nerd murderer who was incredibly impressed with his own brilliance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser

And, after having been tripped up by obvious mistakes, felt that his own obvious brilliance was an effective defense, since someone so incredibly smart would never make the mistakes he actually did make. I doubt that in the whole history of the world this defense has ever worked.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 11:22

Sodium hydroxide destroys DNA, right?
Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 11:34

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  

I'm assuming that you are talking about how Hans Reiser hid the body of his wife. Yes,NaOH does destroy DNA,which is probably why the cadaver dogs that the police sent to search for Reiser's wife were unable to find anything,only Hans's DNA sample,but his NaOH scheme was unable to save him from prison.

careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 11:35

Labs working with ancient human DNA (and thus need to rigorously destroy contamination) use bleach as their primary tool.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 11:37

Quote: Originally posted by Agari  

I'm assuming that you are talking about how Hans Reiser hid the body of his wife. Yes,NaOH does destroy DNA,which is probably why the cadaver dogs that the police sent to search for Reiser's wife were unable to find anything,only Hans's DNA sample,but his NaOH scheme was unable to save him from prison.

Didn't he pretty much just confess and lead the police to the body?
Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 11:42

He confessed as part of a plea bargain for a reduced charge of second-degree murder after the police were able to obtain HIS DNA sample at the crime scene,as well as blood containing Nina's DNA that he forgot to destroy,which the prosecutor used in his case against Reiser,as well as evidence of attempting to hide evidence of the crime.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 11:46

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  

Labs working with ancient human DNA (and thus need to rigorously destroy contamination) use bleach as their primary tool.

I know there was an unsuccessful attempt to destroy bloodstains using bleach not far from here several years ago. Of course, they were probably using a 5-10% solution rather than solid hypochlorite.
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 11:47

After he was convicted of first degree murder, he was allowed to plead guilty to second degree murder in exchange for revealing the location of his wife's body.

Accepting a plea for a lesser charge after a conviction seems odd to me, but I infer that by allowing this the prosecutors both obtained the location of the body, and (I presume) the impossibility of Reiser appealing the sentence, since he was agreeing he was guilty. So, yeah in the end he confessed and produced the body.

Right up until his leading them to Nina Reiser's body there were vocal members of he IT tech community asserting that he was innocent and that he was being framed/railroaded.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 12:00

I have to admit, I have very little sympathy for murderers, especially ones who carve up their victims and leave body parts lying around for no reason. Murdering your wife isn't cool either.
Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 15:19

I have to admit, I have very little sympathy for murderers, especially ones who carve up their victims and leave body parts lying around for no reason. Murdering your wife isn't cool either.

If only he was a member of ScienceMadness,maybe he could have told us whether or not the K3wl recipe on the hidden site that I mentioned works :D.

Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 9-12-2015 at 14:48

All jokes aside,the "guide" has some legitimacy to it,diisopropyl methylphosphonate can in fact be converted to isopropyl methylphosphonochloridate when treated with carbonyl chloride,assuming that the book, Best synthetic methods:Organophosphorus (V) Chemistry, by Christopher M. Timperley can be trusted and that whatever terrorist tries it out survives the synthesis.
Seems like discussions about RogueSci will always end with discussions about chemical weapons or explosives,I wonder if there is anything besides that on the forum.

[Edited on 10-12-2015 by Agari]

Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 12-12-2015 at 10:16

Discussions about nerve agents aside,I think someone should mirror the data on the website that I linked,I don't know how much longer it will be up for,so it is best to have copies of the site's content.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top