Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Competition — Lab from five OTC items
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 28-3-2016 at 03:01

How much time do you need JJay?

There was a flurry of interest when I first posted this competition. I thought a generous time-frame would give everyone a fighting chance but I think it had the opposite effect -- the original impetus died down.

AFAIK, you are the only one seriously working on this JJay. I am keen to give out the prize money and even keener to read some submissions.

So, if you think you can come up with something in a reasonable time-frame then I think that will be fine.
And for anyone else who has been lurking and working away quietly, post your intentions here.
It is a competition so I need to be fair. But I also want to reward novel ideas and good efforts. So, if anyone needs a little bit longer, then just let me know.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2016 at 08:11

I'll see what I can do... I am going to have to cobble together a ceramic tube somehow... I'd estimate three more days.
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pretty much all of them!

[*] posted on 28-3-2016 at 14:49

I came up with a really nice (I think) plan of action for this competition, but then didn't realise how much time entering Year 11 and a trip around Tasmania would take. :(

The whole pathway will probably take at least a week, as there is a few steps that take a while. I could possibly have it done by the end of the holidays but I definitely don't want to hold the competition up that long.

I do want to try it out anyway and see if it works, so I will probably post results here anyway when I do get around to it.

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 28-3-2016 at 14:58

I would rather have a head to head race between the two of you than just a single entry. If there are no objections I will extend to the end of the aussie school holidays -- 10 April.

Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-3-2016 at 15:15

Yay! Looks like I'm still in then, I'll start on the first step this afternoon (probably the most boring, but oh well, it gets better later)!

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2016 at 15:40

Sounds good.
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-3-2016 at 22:59

First couple of steps are done!
I'm having a little trouble with one, will try plan B tomorrow.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 19:20

j_sum, meant to tell you before Easter, but I was ahem, 'parentally constrained' from submitting anything due to the prizes from various 'non-reputable sources'. Sorry.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 19:25

Gotta love those parental constraints.

If you have time to scratch together your ideas and post them I'd love to see it. It seemed like you had some good creative ideas.

Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-4-2016 at 16:04

Ran into a problem, found a solution today.
I'm still definitely in, but can't afford any more errors! Luckily the rest is fairly straightforward. Finish line here I come!

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 00:21

I'm looking forward to the results of this competition. As promised, the set of chemicals for the winner is still avaialble and there is some choice as well (will be arranged through U2U).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 03:13

Just curious, is there anyone who is still planning on submitting an entry besides JJay and I?

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by Volanschemia]

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 16:50

J_sum, here's my partial work...sorry about how it turned out.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hW79cQlRhn9cLUjUru_Ucr8n...

Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 04:35

I have finished the lab work! It's been enormous fun and definitely the longest time I've ever spent in the lab in one week, about 6 full days I'd say. Thank you j_sum for getting me to do some stuff!

Onto the write-up now.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 04:57

I don't think I'm going to make it... my tube furnace crumbled before I could perfect making aluminum chloride in it (probably should use a fully fired tube), and I'm out of nichrome wire.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 05:09

Noooo! JJay. Don't flake now! You are close to the finish line.
You can always write down your ideas anyway.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 08:21

True, but without actually doing the experiments to prove that they are possible... it seems unlikely to be found a winner.

Then again, I guess I will leave that to you to decide :)

[Edited on 8-4-2016 by JJay]
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 05:33

Well, my submission is in! It's all in the hands of our benevolent judge now :D.

Good luck to fellow competitors!

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 17:28

Ouch, now I feel really bad I didn't at least finish typing something up...sorry for the lack of interest from everyone j_sum, you put together quite the competition here.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 23:02

I read through yours TVC. You had some good ideas there and it all looked feasible. There certainly was a range of products. Of course concept and execution are two different things. And circumstances were working against you.

I have skim-read Volanschemia's submission. Nice work and great presentation. A couple of dozen organic synths and extractions. Some are for very important products. There were a few that he could not complete due to time but he provided links to some procedures to show they were feasible. That is going to be a blast to read fully.

Molecularworld sent me a U2U with some preliminary ideas. He chose five seemingly simple OTC products and rattled off a list of 55 products that could easily be made. And I get the feeling he stopped at 55 because he got tired of typing rather than running out of ideas. Not sure it really counts as a submission but there is value there nonetheless.

Still waiting on JJay. I know he has done a bit of work on this and also that he hit a couple of hurdles. I think his list of OTC products is a little more diverse and so he could have some unusual compounds in there.

When everything is in, I will do a side by side comparison and make my decision. I'll also give some feedback on what I have learned in this process and the value I see in it. And of course, post publically the submissions for all to benefit.

J.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2016 at 00:29

This was my plan:

Distill ether out of starting fluid
Create hydrogen chloride gas by dropping sulfuric acid onto calcium chloride
Create hydrochloric acid by gassing water with hydrogen chloride
Create hydrogen by dropping hydrochloric acid onto aluminum
Create aluminum chloride by gassing aluminum with hydrogen chloride at 700 C
Extract lithium from lithium batteries
Create lithium hydride by gassing lithium with hydrogen at 400-500 C
Create lithium aluminum hydride by reacting aluminum chloride with lithium hydride in ether
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-4-2016 at 23:39

Wow, that looks like quite the undertaking!
I've never looked into high temperature chemistry myself and definitely wouldn't take that stuff lightly, so kudos for giving it a go!

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 13:51

Thanks J_Sum. Although the competition didn't work out perfect, there seems there will be some very interesting writeups that came out of it - looking forward to them being released (?).

Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 23:40

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
This was my plan:

Distill ether out of starting fluid
Create hydrogen chloride gas by dropping sulfuric acid onto calcium chloride
Create hydrochloric acid by gassing water with hydrogen chloride
Create hydrogen by dropping hydrochloric acid onto aluminum
Create aluminum chloride by gassing aluminum with hydrogen chloride at 700 C
Extract lithium from lithium batteries
Create lithium hydride by gassing lithium with hydrogen at 400-500 C
Create lithium aluminum hydride by reacting aluminum chloride with lithium hydride in ether

It sounds very dangerous. I would like to see this, but also it should be done properly with safety measures present.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2016 at 00:13

If you're making a kilogram of lithium aluminum hydride, it's dangerous. It's not that dangerous if the quantities are small.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top