Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: methyl methacrylate
CrossxD
Hazard to Self

Mood: stainless

[*] posted on 16-11-2015 at 10:16
methyl methacrylate

I have got about 1 l of methyl methacrylate and is there any interesing use of it or I should get rid of it?
sorry for my English it is pretty bad :D
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
16-11-2015 at 10:33
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 17-11-2015 at 18:26

Methyl Methacrylate is an interesting reagent. I don't need it, but somebody might.

I had a Kilo or so, a while back. When I moved, I think I accidentally left if in my basement.

Might be sitting there still, but after all these years, it has probably slowly polymerized, to become a liter bottle full of solid plexiglass (AKA lucite).

[Edited on 18-11-2015 by zed]

[Edited on 18-11-2015 by zed]
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-11-2015 at 09:27

Is there a Kharasch reaction type modification for a freidel craft alkylation (i.e. the primary carbocation formed from the double bond of methyl methacrylate attacks the aromatic ring instead of it rearranging to secondary carbocation and then attacking ? )
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-11-2015 at 18:35

Ummm. Alkylations of the Indole 3 position, via refluxing Indole with Acetic Anhydride, and materials structurally similar to Methyl-Methacrylate, are known. This is a special case. The 3 site is unusually reactive.

Likewise, Alkylations via the coupling of Methyl Methacrylate with diazonium salts may be achieved.

Direct Alkylation of an aromatic ring, via Methyl-Methacrylate? I dunno.

Are you suggesting halogenation of Methyl-Methacrylate, followed by the resulting Alkyl Halide, attacking an aromatic ring?

[Edited on 25-11-2015 by zed]
innervision
Harmless

Mood: eh.

[*] posted on 28-11-2015 at 08:23

Make custom fit prosthetic teeth/fangs for Halloween. That's what I did with mine after distilling plexiglass.

It also makes for a very sturdy finish for wood if you polymerize it directly on the wood, then sand and polish.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2015 at 16:53

How did you polymerize the material. Also, how serious a lachrymator is this stuff?

One equals terrible.........10 equals eye transplant. I've owned it before. I just never opened the bottle.
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-11-2015 at 06:06

Quote: Originally posted by zed  

Direct Alkylation of an aromatic ring, via Methyl-Methacrylate? I dunno.
Are you suggesting halogenation of Methyl-Methacrylate, followed by the resulting Alkyl Halide, attacking an aromatic ring?

Not quite.
Alkenes can be reacted with aromatic rings in a friedel craft reactions using polyphosphoric acid.
innervision
Harmless

Mood: eh.

[*] posted on 1-12-2015 at 03:10

Since I distilled Plexiglas for it, it is obviously a "heat cure" monomer as opposed to the easily cured "cold cure" that's available from dental suppliers.

What I did was stirred monomer with some finely powdered acrylic polymer until starting to get thick then poured it into my bottom mold, pressed the top mold in place, weighted the top and gave it a half hour to set. I then finished the polymerization submerged in sub-boiling water in a crock pot.

Ideally it is cured under water in a pressure pot. That forces any bubbles that formed from the mixing of monomer and polymer to disappear. I don't have a pressure pot and couldn't justify buying one. It took a couple tries to get one without a bubble hole at the tip of a front fang or two.

Interestingly, the bottle with loose-fitting lid that I stored the (inhibitorless) monomer in, stayed liquid for a couple months before it finally polymerized.

As for the smell... it's not a lachrymator, but I'm not sure I've smelled (been nasally abused by) anything so strong. You will want a respirator.

Go To Top