Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: WTF is happening here? Copper Sulfate Electrolysis (Video)
LifeisElemental
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2015 at 15:56
WTF is happening here? Copper Sulfate Electrolysis (Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzhEzQZM3XE&feature=youtu.be&t=1m5s

So, working on a new video for the electrolysis of copper sulfate. Go to sleep leaving a pretty nicely sized crystal growing and wake up to a fluffy white mess! I have absolutely no clue what caused this but did capture it on timelapse. See the video above for this render.

A copper anode and cathode were used.
6V - ~0.2A

Looking forward to any thoughts on this weirdness!
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-11-2015 at 18:33

the truth is out there.looks just like when i made copper sulfate with epsom salt and a copper anode and cathode.

[Edited on 11-26-2015 by cyanureeves]
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 25-11-2015 at 18:41

Yep, looks like magnesium hydroxide or maybe zinc hydroxide or something. Did you try testing to see what it was?

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
DeIonizedPlasma
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2015 at 18:50

My first thought is copper hydroxide forming as a sort of gel with bubbles trapped in it, as some hydroxides tend to do (Magnesium does this in water, I believe). I did a search for white inorganic copper compounds and only found anhydrous CuSO4, CuI, and Cu5Si to be white. There are probably many organics that are white and contain copper, but I don't know how carbon would factor in at all. Very strange results indeed.

Have you taken out the white solid and dried it? Is the white mess crystalline, or soft and (Can't tell from the video) gelatinous? Try heating the white solid over a flame and see if anything happens.
LifeisElemental
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2015 at 20:12

Quote: Originally posted by DeIonizedPlasma  
My first thought is copper hydroxide forming as a sort of gel with bubbles trapped in it, as some hydroxides tend to do (Magnesium does this in water, I believe). I did a search for white inorganic copper compounds and only found anhydrous CuSO4, CuI, and Cu5Si to be white. There are probably many organics that are white and contain copper, but I don't know how carbon would factor in at all. Very strange results indeed.

Have you taken out the white solid and dried it? Is the white mess crystalline, or soft and (Can't tell from the video) gelatinous? Try heating the white solid over a flame and see if anything happens.

Interesting thoughts! I still have the solid I have not dried it as of yet. It appears gelatinous as well.

Do you think if I slightly acidified the solution I could prevent these crystals from growing like this?

Also, do you have any thoughts on what would cause this all to happen at once right after that bit fell off?

We actually have seen this white stuff for many other electrolysis but just thought it was white gunk from the adhesive tape! We can send you more video footage if interested.

EDIT: Also the solution turned somewhat green around where this occured

[Edited on 26-11-2015 by LifeisElemental]
DeIonizedPlasma
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 14:11

Copper hydroxide appears to have a somewhat green color as shown here. This might further make sense. An acidic solution should prevent the hydroxide from forming. Also, where is your other electrode?
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 15:01

6v is simply too high.

Chances are that the Mulder Gism resulted from the electrodes entering the Fun.

Go To Top