Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Spill of chromic acid - cleanup
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 07:17
Spill of chromic acid - cleanup

My lab's right now messy, since I'm on meds and everything in my head is somewhat cloudy. Every now and then I make a blunder. Today I spilled a small amount (10ml) of chromic acid on my lab table. Immediately covered with bicarbonate of soda.

Any further treatments? Maybe use some reducer to convert it to trivalent chromium?

Smells like ammonia....
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 08:22

Sodium sulfite or metabisufite is generally used. If you can wipe everything up, you can also toss the paper towels or whatever you use into a beaker with some dilute sulfuric acid, and add ethanol until you're satisfied with the color (which should be green to blue, no hint of brown). I also recycle all of my hexavalent chromium after it has been reduced to make chromium(III) hydroxide, which is a nice thing to have.

shivam
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 3-12-2015 at 05:44

Along with the purchase of any hexavalent chromium, purchase of some Sodium sulfite/ metabisulbite is almost crucial ..
Just in case of any mishaps or simply for reducing the Cr(VI) waste..
Use a solution of sulfite/metabisulfite to clean it up (of cource with gloves) or just spray the spilled area with plenty of ethanol or rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) solution
leave it until it turns green with no visible orange/brown spots
Then simply wipe it away!!

Go To Top