Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Books threads are moving to dedicated forum
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

shocked.gif posted on 17-8-2006 at 07:27
Books threads are moving to dedicated forum

We have had an increasing number of book-seeking members sign up over the last several months. They take up admin/mod time when they refuse to use the main book threads and instead clutter other forums with their book requests. They also tend to participate very little with non-book topics. To keep this influx under control, the book sharing and book request threads will soon move to Whimsy and people who request books outside of the official threads will find their posting abilities locked. Hopefully the movement of the book threads will keep this site from being a high-profile destination for book seekers (since the relevant threads will be invisible to search engines).

[Edited on 8-20-2006 by Polverone]

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
urbs
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2006 at 13:12

Since I have been a lurker for about a year, but tend to review the daily posts about every day, this move to the Whimsey forum will be unfortunate. I've attempted in the past to access this forum and finally read in the FAQ's that it is somewhat of an invitation only forum. I suppose that I could begin posting to attempt to get access, but most of my experimentation has come to a stop for reasons not really of my own choosing, and I feel little motivation to "blow smoke up your a__" just to be allowed to visit that forum. Thank you for allowing me access to the books which were posted previously. I will continue to review the new posts, and use the search engine for information on interesting topics
Polverone

[*] posted on 17-8-2006 at 20:20

Posting more isn't necessary. You have to ask to be let in, but anyone who has been registered for more than a month will be let in.

Polverone

[*] posted on 19-8-2006 at 18:39

The plan has changed: there is now a dedicated, password protected References forum instead of making Whimsy do double-duty. As with Whimsy you must have been here a month, but you must also have at least 2 decent posts to your name. "Decent" is determined at the discretion of myself or other moderators. You can also try talking to me if you think you have a good case for being let into the References forum without the requisite monthlong membership or two good posts.

I think that the barriers to entry are quite minimal and should not prove a burden for members, but I also think they may cut down on the number of people who visit here solely to obtain books.

In order to reduce the traffic in people who are solely interested in books, I ask that members do not generally provide books outside of the References forum. Exception: if you scanned the material yourself, it's okay to share outside of References (S.C. Wack, I'm looking at you -- I know you like wide distribution), but I want most sharing to happen in References. Individual journal articles are okay to post outside of References, but I would request that article requests or postings of multiple articles be confined to References.

The change also offers some benefit in addition to the new burden. Now that we have a dedicated area, we don't need to make threads that are hundreds of posts long for requesting or providing books.

We will try to keep up with the new requests for access to References that will surely be coming in the following days.

kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-8-2006 at 12:38

Some dark and powerfull forces want these threads to disappear.
I think it is a main reason, not "bad book seekers".
Pity. I must have happened, at all.
:(

[Edited on 20-8-2006 by kmno4]
Polverone

[*] posted on 20-8-2006 at 14:38

I don't know what you mean about dark and powerful forces. It really is because of "bad book seekers." More than half of the moderation I've done over the last few months has been to deal with new members who want books and don't pay attention to the rules or contribute anything of their own, and I know other mods have expended considerable effort on the problem as well. Members who have demonstrated interest in things apart from book requests will easily be admitted to the new section.

[Edited on 8-20-2006 by Polverone]

samdar
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-8-2006 at 20:47
acess

how do we get access to the reference section?
Polverone

[*] posted on 20-8-2006 at 21:15

Ask me or another moderator for the password via a U2U message. Members who are admitted should have at least two decent posts to their name and have been here for at least a month. "Decent posts" means messages that are on-topic, that help answer a question or intelligently ask one, and that are not simply requests for books or articles. Moderators' discretion applies in granting or denying these requests.

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 21-8-2006 at 00:16

But does it make sense to have two psw to request for, one for References and one for Whimsy? OK, they are two completely different things but this will double the requests the mod's will have to answer.

Also, I thought it would be enough to simply make the References visible only to the forum members in order to avoid indexing by search engines. Most forums use such solutions for similar situations. A password is perhaps a bit unnecessary or isn’t it? Or perhaps a simple solution like an automatic access after a month or after a certain number of posts? This would be perceived less discriminatory to the new members who are for whatever reason afraid to ask for access (if the board software allows it)?

Also, if the moderators would take the time to send the psw to those who contributed to the books&journals threads would be more appropriate than to let them to ask for it. I understand it would take an hour or more to do so. However, KMnO4 and many others certainly contributed a lot and it would be a bit inappropriate to leave them in the waiting row.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Khaled Samir
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-8-2006 at 22:46

How I can get a password for entering theses forum
Thee password for logging sciencemadness is not valide password
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 21-8-2006 at 23:12

You could have read this thread before posting a question that wes already throughly answered.
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-8-2006 at 23:30

Well, that was a perfect example of why it should be by request :o
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 23-8-2006 at 09:19

Anyone else getting U2U's requesting that pages of the books thread be emailed to them:mad:.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 23-8-2006 at 13:43

Indeed, I got the same, Janda's one of them. Just tell them to become a proficient member and all gates to reference heaven will be open :P

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 23-8-2006 at 13:54
Janda

Chemoleo, I got that same U2U request from Janda. I didn't catch on to the new section
until I attempted to find and access "The New Books Thread". Everything is clear
now.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
hinikk
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 03:54

Ok! I have scanned a couple of books. So where should I place a link for everyone to download this book. Please point me a right place
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 06:08

Please upload them to either megaupload.com or rapidshare.de and post a link around here.

hinikk
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 21:01

Ok, I post my links in this thread.
sexyboy0025
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 07:38

well so how we will post the "DECENT POSTS" can we do it without entering the forum, which is password protected, i m more than 1 month old, and willing to share books, so what next? how will i get in?????????
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 11:10

I thought Polverone explained it perfectly. Read this thread from the beginning.
All you have to do is to contribute in the forum. That would be posting something that actually helps somebody else. I can’t see how that could be so difficult. Wasn’t that the reason why you joined in the first place?

The above is an excellent example of what a "decent post" is not.
Polverone

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 13:42

If you think you have new reference material to contribute that would be of interest to this forum, but you don't want to post in other forums, send a U2U message to myself or another moderator. We can examine the material and let you into the subforum if it's good. Re-sharings of previously shared material can be useful, but they don't constitute an entrance ticket. If you want in, post a couple of useful things in one of the public forums (it's not that hard, really!) or have something novel and interesting to share.

Ammar
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-9-2006 at 09:28

You take the right decision. But it is easy to get access to your books. Think how?!
babyhacker
Harmless

Mood: moody

[*] posted on 6-11-2006 at 01:37
about starting new thread of pharmacognosy,pharmacy subjects too...

i m intrested in having the onlie books sources and thats y i m intrested in making a section on pharmacy field topics like pharmacology,pharmacognosy,medicinal chemistry,analytical chemistry,pharmaceutics and many other subjects that cover the most topics and subject related knowledge of the science....and chemistry too...
and for the lovers of the herbal medicines one section in ayurveda n books like"charak samhita" & "shushrut samhita" and other ayurvedic books must also b posted here inthe digital library....i hope the moderaters and admins would like my request and will take steps further on these things.....its very important and indeed very good efort to make avail the material avail on net.......
thanking u in advanced looking forward to ur positive response
urs friendly,
babyh4k3r
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6-11-2006 at 03:30

In internet forums it is generally the members who create new threads. There is no such thing as asking the moderators for permission. It is however true that the moderators have the right and ability to delete, edit or move the threads according to the forum rules and their arbitrary decision.
You create new threads by using the "New Topic" button just bellow the header or on the bottom (it is just left to the "Post reply" and "New Poll" buttons). See the forum's FAQ for further technical details.
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 15:20

Nice to see all you guys again.

I was just wondering if there was an idleness clause is this. I have obviously been a member for a bit more than a month and I'm sure you can find a few good posts. However I haven't been around for a while. My interests have been more in pyro than chem lately. I'm trying to get back into things. I was just wondering whether or not I should wait a bit before asking for access. I have a few things to contribute possibly, as well as university journal access.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top