Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: youtube
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 13-12-2015 at 16:11
youtube

A few days ago someone recommended a specific youtube author for chemistry. I UTFSE no joy. I'll start searching online. But there are so many and most of them irrelevant or wrong. If you recall please post.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 12:00

Here's a few general science related ones I know of off the bat...

Doug's Lab
Nile Red
NurdRage
UC235
Chem Player
Thoisoi2
Cody's Lab
Applied Science
Bunsen Burns
clkindred
Extractions&Ire
Gooferking Science
kic009
myst32YT (inactive)
The Chemistry Shack

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 15:55

You listed Extractions and Ire w/o listing Explosions and Fire? Aww, that's the fun one...
Also MrHomeScientist. The SM user's active, his channel is not.
At one time I had a single video on youtube about making barium sulfate, done when I was 13. Somebody put my channel on the SM wiki. Deleted both a little while ago... :D

chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 23:05

Thank you both! I think was trying to recover "chem player.." he did a few good ones. A lot of the youtube authors go on and on about nothing related to the topic and rattle on about nothing while doing a half hour distillation. Chem Player has stayed on point and fast forwarded through slow additions in the ones I played by him. Thanks again. I will definitely check these out.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-12-2015 at 01:37

If you speak Russian, check out Slava Voron's videos. Some of them are pretty good.

Smells like ammonia....
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 15-12-2015 at 05:20

Quote: Originally posted by ave369  
If you speak Russian, check out Slava Voron's videos. Some of them are pretty good.

I believe that Thoisoi's main channel is also in Russian.

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
reactofurnace
Hazard to Self

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 15-12-2015 at 06:01

science vlog :)
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2015 at 06:17

Chem Player does do some neat stuff, but I thought his latest video on raspberries left much to be desired.

I'm thinking about putting together some demonstrations for YouTube. Looks like a fun way to make a few bucks....
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 15-12-2015 at 07:32

Hey i'm all for chemistry on youtube, the more the better, but if youre posting chemistry videos on youtube with the intention of making money you are going to have a bad time. Do it for the fun of course, but remember the easiest way to have money is just not to spend it on chemistry at all (but what good is money anyway).

Oh and Chemplayer is fantastic. I dont think ive ever sat through 10 minutes of all the cooking shows blasted at me on prime time TV but i damn well sat there and watched chemplayer bake a cake, I think that says something
ave369

[*] posted on 15-12-2015 at 07:43

Quote: Originally posted by Detonationology  

I believe that Thoisoi's main channel is also in Russian.

Thoisoi, IIRC, is a Russo-Estonian.

Smells like ammonia....
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2015 at 18:15

Estonia supplies hard to get chemicals too. Unfortunately they don't show up on alibaba or lookchem very often and China listed some 170 to now be illegal. But a lot of the Chicom suppliers ignore the laws anyway.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 15-12-2015 at 23:36

On eBay indeed interesting chemicals are offered by an estonian seller. The prices, however, are very high. Many of these chemicals can be obtained from other sellers at less than half of the price.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 16-12-2015 at 18:08

Isn't the purpose of chem-player toward the eventual production of those chemicals illicit and clandestine? For that purpose only I find it rather disturbing. Else-wise, it's a great channel (how he got citrazinic acid to work, though, I have no clue. I followed his directions... :().

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2015 at 22:48

I've watched quite a few Chem Player videos, and it looks like only about a third of them involve some kind of illegal intent. But then again, it depends on local laws wherever Chem Player is located, and it's conceivable that he's not actually breaking the law and is instead simply making controversial videos.

TDC, on the other hand, is clearly breaking the law.

[Edited on 17-12-2015 by JJay]
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 18-12-2015 at 16:19

That video by TDC showing how to make methamphetamine... he is really asking for his door to be kicked in and be locked away. Im sure he is australian and down there there is supposedly a serious problem with meth at the moment. I dont know what he is thinking.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2015 at 02:59

Quote: Originally posted by NeonPulse  
That video by TDC showing how to make methamphetamine... he is really asking for his door to be kicked in and be locked away. Im sure he is australian and down there there is supposedly a serious problem with meth at the moment. I dont know what he is thinking.

He didn't distill the freebase or even wash it, so his yields were lousy and the product probably contains detectable amounts of mercury.
ave369

[*] posted on 19-12-2015 at 07:18

Slava Voron, whom I already mentioned, once did a practical joke. "Vint" is russian for "bad meth", meth of low quality that was cooked in makeshift labs by the druggies themselves. In Soviet times, vint was the only type of meth available: the government destroyed any lab larger than a kitchen. However, literally vint means screw. He made a video that was called "How to cook vint." And in it, he boiled a steel screw (a bolt, actually) in water.

[Edited on 19-12-2015 by ave369]

Smells like ammonia....
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2015 at 07:22

yeah i saw that and was really shocked by the whole thing only because people inject this stuff.it wont stop an addict from using meth just like it didnt stop one heroin user injecting his own shit after ingesting his stash.

[Edited on 12-19-2015 by cyanureeves]
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2015 at 07:38

so when meth users extract ephedrine from cold pills when cooking some type of meth, which process is in the video is curtailed?i picked up a chlorine generator bottle i found on the side of the road once. i took the bottle home and left it in my tool box because i didnt know what it was and ruined all my tools.because there are so many country roads here and more scattered population ,cooks dry their meth in their car's engine compartment while driving.ammonia smell is their biggest give away and roads are littered with red stained filter paper and also empty ultra bright tooth paste tubes too.ultra bright toothpaste??i was doing county highway mowing years ago by the way.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2015 at 18:07

Slava Voron, whom I already mentioned, once did a practical joke. "Vint" is russian for "bad meth", meth of low quality that was cooked in makeshift labs by the druggies themselves. In Soviet times, vint was the only type of meth available: the government destroyed any lab larger than a kitchen. However, literally vint means screw. He made a video that was called "How to cook vint." And in it, he boiled a steel screw (a bolt, actually) in water.

[Edited on 19-12-2015 by ave369]

Oh, in the U.S. it is called crank :)

bicycle_crank-999px.png - 47kB
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2015 at 18:19

Quote: Originally posted by cyanureeves  
so when meth users extract ephedrine from cold pills when cooking some type of meth, which process is in the video is curtailed?i picked up a chlorine generator bottle i found on the side of the road once. i took the bottle home and left it in my tool box because i didnt know what it was and ruined all my tools.because there are so many country roads here and more scattered population ,cooks dry their meth in their car's engine compartment while driving.ammonia smell is their biggest give away and roads are littered with red stained filter paper and also empty ultra bright tooth paste tubes too.ultra bright toothpaste??i was doing county highway mowing years ago by the way.

I dunno - I have heard a lot of bad things about it, but I don't know any meth users or anyone who has lost family members to it. But it annoys me that as a law-abiding citizen, I can't have iodine or red phosphorus.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 21-12-2015 at 05:43

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
But it annoys me that as a law-abiding citizen, I can't have iodine or red phosphorus.

If you live in the USA, you can legally purchase and own both. You just can't sell them without keeping strict records if the transaction is greater than 400g for iodine or in any amount for phosphorus.

If the cops are crazy or you start acting like a shady idiot around them, you could be charged with "intent to manufacture" if you had 3 or more of the required chemicals in one spot, but as long as you keep good lab notes, nobody can prove intent in court.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2000/fr0802...
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2003/fr0624...

There are "listed chemicals" and "scheduled drugs". People get them confused. Pretty much all scheduled drugs are illegal to posses without a prescription. All of the listed chemicals are legal to own, but are subject to transaction recordkeeping to varying degrees based on quantity.

Schedule 1 ≠ List 1

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2015 at 06:00

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
But it annoys me that as a law-abiding citizen, I can't have iodine or red phosphorus.

If you live in the USA, you can legally purchase and own both. You just can't sell them without keeping strict records if the transaction is greater than 400g for iodine or in any amount for phosphorus.

If the cops are crazy or you start acting like a shady idiot around them, you could be charged with "intent to manufacture" if you had 3 or more of the required chemicals in one spot, but as long as you keep good lab notes, nobody can prove intent in court.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2000/fr0802...
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2003/fr0624...

There are "listed chemicals" and "scheduled drugs". People get them confused. Pretty much all scheduled drugs are illegal to posses without a prescription. All of the listed chemicals are legal to own, but are subject to transaction recordkeeping to varying degrees based on quantity.

Schedule 1 ≠ List 1

Those rules have been updated; iodine and red phosphorus are as illegal to own as ergotamine tartrate.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 21-12-2015 at 12:14

It would be great if you could give a source for that info, considering I have lots of both.

EDIT: I2 and P, that is. Not the ergotamine.

[Edited on 21-12-2015 by Praxichys]

User123
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-12-2015 at 12:27

Those are some useful videos. Thanks for the recommendations, and to the people who made them. I've downloaded a fair few of them and shall be copying some preparations to increase my reagent arsenal! I didn't expect to see a ketene lamp on there. Nice work, Sir!
I bought a ketene lamp earlier in the year but have yet to set it up. I intend to use it pretty regularly once I do to prepare acid anhydrides, according to an OrgSyn paper I have. I kind of wish I'd have made one now, though -- I paid a lot for it! I'll tell myself that it was an investment. :D

[Edited on 21-12-2015 by User123]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top