Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: storage of chemicals Q and A
Dark Alchemist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 01:24
storage of chemicals Q and A

Since I'm still relatively new to chemistry and storage of chemicals I can relate to the new hobbyists who have trouble finding out what the dos and donts are of storing chemicals.

If you do a google search: are all types of glass acid resistant? No joy
If you do a google search: how to store small amounts conc acid? No joy

It can be a little frustrating at times because I'm the type of person who checks double checks and then triple checks safety methods and correct practice's before attempting somthing to the point of verging on paranoia.

So if you have any questions pertaining to the proper handling and storage of chemicals place them here.

I will start the thread with these questions which I have asked and still revived no specific yes no or this is what I do awnsers.
These are my questions plain and simple.

. Are beer and wine bottles acid resistant enough to store conc HCl HNO3 and H2SO4 for periods of storage up to six months?

.what improvised methods of storing these has any one here used?

.lastly I found these amber glass bottles locally they have a white plastic cap which has a childlock on it.
inside the cap is a second layer of grey/green threads and a disc which has a waxy feel to it. It is supposedly chemical resistant would these be OK?

[Edited on 14-12-2015 by Dark Alchemist]

If your not on a government watch list by now you should be ashamed of yourself.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 01:49

HCl, HNO3, HClO4 and H2SO4 all can be stored in glass bottles indefinitely.

Easiest on storage are H2SO4 (up to 97%) and HClO4 (up to 75%). These acids do not given off any fumes. As long as the bottles are kept upright, any plastic cap does the job. Just remember that after pouring acid out of the bottle, wipe the rim clean and then close the bottle again. If PE-caps are used, then the last measure is not necessary.

HNO3 (up to 70% or so) can be stored in glass bottles, but you need caps with teflon liner. Normal plastic slowly is attacked and after years of storage, it may break apart. HNO3 at even higher concentration is really nasty, the fumes attack nearly all plastics. Use caps with a thick teflon liner.

HCl up to 25% or so can easily be stored, just use a glass bottle with a decent plastic cap. Above 25% (e.g. 30%) storage of HCl becomes more troublesome. The acid produces nasty fumes and many plastics are somewhat porous for these fumes. Everything near the bottle of acid becomes frosted and humid, due to the released HCl. I keep my 30% HCl in glass bottles with soft silicone liners, which are covered with teflon as well. These liners are corrosion resistant and are soft, so that they perfectly seal the bottle. I have no issues with fumes and frosted bottles nearby.
Worst of all is 37% HCl. I also have a bottle of that. It simply cannot be stored without corrosive fumes slowly escaping the bottle. Even the teflon-lined caps do not prevent slow release of HCl fumes. If you do not need 37% HCl, then limit yourself to appr. 30%. Above that concentration storage quickly becomes more cumbersome.

[Edited on 14-12-15 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Dark Alchemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 02:01

Thank you for such an in depth and comprehensive awnser without going off topic.

You just made life a lot easier for me.
Also what size common lab gg stopper eg 24/40 or something is there that fits common beer bottle necks if at all?

If your not on a government watch list by now you should be ashamed of yourself.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 03:40

a beer bottle is a really bad thing to store chems in. they are difficult to reseal and they are a food container. they will not fit a GG stoper at all. a rubber stopper might work, but seriously, use something better than beer bottle.
with GG joints. the measurements (eg 24/40) refer to the diameter of the opening and the length in mm.

Beginning construction of periodic table display
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 05:32

The peculiar chemistry of certain acids has been addressed above with respect to direct reactions with the container and the appropriateness of a peculiar stopper.

Another more interesting general point with regard to the storage of many compounds relates, for example, to the presence of air, ionic salts, transition metal impurities, exposure to light, warming,..., where other unexpected reactions may ensue. For example, see my comments at https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=64... on the seemingly simple question on the color of stored concentrated HCl.

In this regard, metal caps plated with tin (or composed of a copper alloy or iron) may eventually in the presence of O2 induce some interesting chemistry even with seemingly minor contact.

[Edited on 14-12-2015 by AJKOER]
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 10:58

An addendum: never use bottles from food to store your chemicals.

Smells like ammonia....
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 12:16

Quote: Originally posted by ave369  

Erm, why not?

Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 12:28

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
Quote: Originally posted by ave369  

Erm, why not?

I am guilty of doing this myself, and I assume that you do as well, and no matter the what I say, the response will be something similar to "Food and drinks shouldn't be consumed anywhere near a lab, so what's the issue." :P valid point, indeed. But, I believe the reason not to is to prevent accidental consumption by yourself and unknowing others. If you are gonna store your chemicals in food containers, it better be clearly labeled and easily distinguishable, which can be hard for most white, crystalline solids in chemistry.

[Edited on 12-14-2015 by Detonationology]

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 14:32

I suspect the only hobbyists that do not re-purpose household items are rich ones.
Most of us cannot afford expensive ptfe etc. reagent grade storage containers for everything.

Mostly I keep chemicals in the containers that they were shipped in, which has mostly been HDPE.
I believe that glass is resistant to a wider range of substances than hdpe, but the problem in both cases is usually the stopper.
Often the seal is non-gas-tight, some solvents can build quite a pressure in hot weather !

The re-purposed food containers that I use have removable food labels (water/detergent/acetone) and I (almost) always label them clearly to match their new contents.
(laser-printer sheets of self-adhesive paper labels, hand written in pencil (ink can fade or run) work well for me, even if they get wet occasionally)

[Edited on 14-12-2015 by Sulaiman]
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

[*] posted on 15-12-2015 at 01:31

Food containers scream: "Drink me!" or "Eat me!". Someone unsuspecting could do so. I only use drugstore bottles from thinks like disinfectant or saline solution. Both items cost pennies. Disinfectant I put to good use (it's medical grade ethanol - still quite potable but not the thing you swill from the bottle without any preparation), and saline water I just pour away. The disinfectant bottles are good because they are made of amber glass. The saline solution bottles look sciencey and are graduated.

[Edited on 15-12-2015 by ave369]

Smells like ammonia....

Go To Top