Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Strike anywhere matches from safety matches
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 07:31

Both Konske (1998) & Shimezu (1997) report that KCLO3 / P / S can be determined to explode @ 3200mps. KCLO4 / Al / Sb2S3 with most any det initiation can be measured @ 31-3200 mps thus if the study is confined to the specifics listed and the definition is VoD rate it does detonate. Residual particulate is such that the breakdown of starting material would also indicate detonation. The PGII published the symposiums from WinterBlast wherein the subject was reserched from French studies before WWI that clearly indicate that chlorates detonate...however, there are some folks who have strong beliefs that detonation is more that VoD and byproducts of an explostion. but given that the studies quoted were done with unconfined material a lot of the skeptics didn't follow up on their opinions that a det cap itself influences the overall measurment of speed, etc. Many people now feel that those studies were clear enough to put the matter to rest. but some people object to the inclution of any outside stimulus - even though most all energetic material is tested that way. Even in the Shimezu's old book on pyro ("The Art & Science") listed the speed of common flash as 3100; enough to compose detonation via a speed criterion.

YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 07:59

I think I`ve always viewed it in a more Simplistic way, there are things that Detonate (molecular level) and things that just burn very quickly.

but I guess like most things in Science, there`s always room for gray areas.

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
ChemistrySet
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 14:05
Making Matches, Longer Gray Article

The longer Theodore Gray article for the Popular Science column:

Making Matches

Cheers!

CS

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 10:07

Quote:

I would like to relate what I call the "Gilbert Chemistry Set Effect". I had a chemistry set. I did all the experiments in the book, then mixed together pretty much every combination of chemicals I could think of...and pretty much nothing happened. Some bubbles, some color changes. Then I got my hands on an industrial chemical supply catalog. I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL WITHIN TWO DAYS OF RECEIVING MY FIRST ORDER!

Ah, memories...

I have one visit to the hospital ER and a nice scar to show for my first day of red Phosphorous/chlorate experimentation as well. If you must try this, use only SMALL quantities, MIX THE PRE-DAMPED INGREDIENTS ONLY and let it dry where you intend to fire it.

I have a guy on my crew who used to make "firecrackers" with red P and chlorate, untill he blew the bathroom counter right out of his apartment building. You won't talk your way out of that kind of a situation without jail time these days.

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by Bert]
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 10:24

IMO, RP and Chlorate comes a close second to NI3 in instability and foolishness to make.
I`ve done both, I like Neither of them.

it truly is a Mixture Darwin would have approved of :)

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 16:38

NI3 will always have a place in my heart simply because if it weren't for that compound I'd have never thought of having an element collection. I recall seeing the compound used in a cheesy 1980's flick titled "The Manhattan Project" and after seeing it mentioned I went and looked it up. I found out it was real and asked my teacher if I could make it, and she said NO! Later on I found E-Bay, some iodine and then a bunch of other elements out there and my collection had begun.

I think everyone has one "foolish" compound that gets them hooked on chemistry and experimentation, but once they've made that compound they realize that it's not as "kewl" or "leet" as they once thought.

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 17:47

Haha. That exact movie got me hooked on chemistry at a young age. Really that entire movie got me hooked on science in general. Also developed another obsession from it, but at such a young age and lack of experimentation resources, my interest in radioactivity died after a few years, perhaps for the better:D.

We need more movies like, it actually gets kids interested in science, it is definatly one of my favorites.

[Edited on 12-11-2006 by The_Davster]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top