Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mantle with no heat?
bridgetender26
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-12-2015 at 16:11
Mantle with no heat?

Hello,

I am a new member and just starting out with my practice. I am trying to track down a hemispherical mantle with no heating element for a 1L round flask. I have a magnetic stir plate that I am using for the heat but would like to put the bottom half of my flask into a fiberglass jacket to keep it evenly heated.

Does this type of product exist? What would you do?

Thanks in advance.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 21-12-2015 at 16:30

What kind of temperatures are you intending to run the flask at.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

bridgetender26
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-12-2015 at 16:31

Up to 225C
User123
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-12-2015 at 16:54

You can get solid blocks of iron which are flask-shaped and designed to go on top of a hotplate/stirrer to act as a heating mantle. I don't know if they are made for one litre flasks, though. Nor do I know what they are called. But they exist -- I've used them.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 21-12-2015 at 18:14

How about a bath full of Aluminum 6mm shot for the bottom half of the flask, and some cheap fiberglass insulation for the top.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Premium-5K-5000rds-ct-Aluminum-6mm-BBs...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2015 at 19:11

The mantle would insulate the flask from the heat of the hotplate, and might even get burned. They do make bottom and top type heating mantles, that can be used for heating flasks to high temps.

http://www.glascol.com/product/subproduct/id/106

If you are planning to heat up to 225, then a mantle should be able to work, but I don't like to take them much above that point. You could also use high temp oil, BBs, or a metal heating block. Metal blocks work well at those higher temps, I have used Al heating blocks up to 300C.

[Edited on 22-12-2015 by Dr.Bob]

Go To Top