Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Clan labs?
CBRN Chef
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2015 at 02:56
Clan labs?

I'm looking to purchase a large variety of equipment IOT train my boys on clandestine lab identification, as well as how to identify finished products vice precursors. The premade training kits that I've been able to find have been grossly overpriced and of poor quality (not to mention they literally get here on the slow boat, as I'm stationed overseas); Also, by purchasing the equipment myself, I can keep whatever I want for my own personal misadventures.

So....Would anyone be able to put together something in the $100-$400 dollar range that I could use to set up a variety of clan labs? (I say anyone, but I'm thinking Dr. Bob... everyone in NC loves the military, right?)
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 22-12-2015 at 03:06

Quote: Originally posted by CBRN Chef  
I'm looking to purchase a large variety of equipment IOT train my boys on clandestine lab identification, as well as how to identify finished products vice precursors. The premade training kits that I've been able to find have been grossly overpriced and of poor quality (not to mention they literally get here on the slow boat, as I'm stationed overseas); Also, by purchasing the equipment myself, I can keep whatever I want for my own personal misadventures.

So....Would anyone be able to put together something in the $100-$400 dollar range that I could use to set up a variety of clan labs? (I say anyone, but I'm thinking Dr. Bob... everyone in NC loves the military, right?)

Hmmmm. Something strikes me as not legit here.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
22-12-2015 at 07:18
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 22-12-2015 at 10:08

I checked the IP, this came from an armed forces address in Japan. No idea how hard that is to spoof, but-

Going to give you the benefit of the doubt and move this back to reagent & apparatus acquisition. With the caveat of suggesting whoever does business with you do so on the basis of taking payment via a law enforcement department's check.

Are you a long term lurker, or did you just make a new account for this request?

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
22-12-2015 at 10:08
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 22-12-2015 at 10:22

Sorry for throwing it out, at first glance to me it just seemed like a really weird request coming from a brand new member.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-12-2015 at 10:23

I have worked with many military guys over the years, know a retired CBRN guy or two, and love the military, since you guys work hard to keep us safe. I also know a few forensic chemists as well. Send me a u2u and I will send you my email. If there is a way to ship it to Bragg or Seymour and then have then forward it, it would be much cheaper, as overseas postage is going up rapidly, and will rise again in mid-Jan. I am happy to work with you and help provide whatever I can do, within the law. Many so called "labs" consist of a soda bottle or other stupid piece of glassware, but I am sure the better ones do use some real glassware, depending on what they are trying to make. Maybe some of the guys here can post photos of theirs. :-) But happy to work with you, I would need to know what constitutes the glassware setup that you want. Thanks for checking on this one, Bert, I am sure that I can check out their credentials if needed.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 22-12-2015 at 12:02

this reeks of dodgy :(

Beginning construction of periodic table display
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-12-2015 at 21:07

The problem you're going to run into is that clandestine labs you are likely to encounter are going to be geared towards producing a single illicit product using the cheapest equipment available, and you want a versatile setup. $400 is not really enough; it wouldn't even cover all of the glass... $1000-$4000 is a more realistic price range. If you start by naming the products you want the lab to be able to produce, it may be possible to reduce the price somewhat (if you don't need liquid ammonia, liquid sulfur dioxide, etc., you don't need a Dewar condenser; if you don't need to extract a bunch of alkaloids from some random jungle vine, you don't need a soxhlet extractor; you might not need an argon tank; etc.). Also, you can make mockups of clandestine labs more easily than actual clandestine labs.
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-12-2015 at 11:06

I am going to honestly say when i saw "clan labs" I did not think of the term clandestine at all. Trying to picture a bunch of white supremacists in the southern part of the US setting up labs to do chemistry was really amusing but my dreams were dashed!

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 23-12-2015 at 19:34

Quote: Originally posted by szuko03  
I am going to honestly say when i saw "clan labs" I did not think of the term clandestine at all. Trying to picture a bunch of white supremacists in the southern part of the US setting up labs to do chemistry was really amusing but my dreams were dashed!

I thought he meant chemistry hackspaces.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 23-12-2015 at 20:39

fuck dude. I've seen folks do a RP/I reduction in a frickin French's Worcestershire Sauce bottle with the snap cap. Using match strikers, tincture and sudafed 24 hr pills. Works great for about an eight ball. Costs SHIT for equipment.

Methinks also this is dodgy.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 23-12-2015 at 20:57

It doesn't look like CBRN Chef is coming back.
It is a somewhat clever kind of dodgy -- or at least one that I have not seen before. Still smells of trimethylamine. There is a lot in the story that does not add up.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 23-12-2015 at 21:33

He may have given up after I moved the thread to detritus originally, but who knows.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

[*] posted on 26-12-2015 at 09:56

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
fuck dude. I've seen folks do a RP/I reduction in a frickin French's Worcestershire Sauce bottle with the snap cap. Using match strikers, tincture and sudafed 24 hr pills. Works great for about an eight ball. Costs SHIT for equipment.

You've just described a typical Russian meth lab.

Smells like ammonia....
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 26-12-2015 at 13:29

There are a limited number of possibilities :-

Scenario A : Chef is actually an anti-drug armed forces person :-

1. He wants to give his Team(s) an 'Edge'

Implications : none, apart from lack of funding or info from central.

Desire: He wishes us to use our imagination to think of ways chemistry can be done, and what is needed, so his team(s) can identify McGuyver'd stuff for what it is.

2. It's Bait.

Implications: Whomsoever Bites is thenceforth in jail.

Desire: Capture stats look much better, no matter who is captured.

Scenario B: Chef is a startup meth cook

1. Ignore it altogether. Absolutely no point at all.

In any event, just go on ebay.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 26-12-2015 at 17:37

3: Chef is a troll, and is sitting back and watching the waters he roiled either without signing in, or under one of his other identities.

Last active: 22-12-2015 at 05:15 AM

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 27-12-2015 at 08:43

Chef = fancy cook according to the dictionary. Use the information accordingly.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 27-12-2015 at 13:14

Quote: Originally posted by ave369  
Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

You've just described a typical Russian meth lab.

they are sprinkled all over the US too

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

dermolotov
Hazard to Others

Mood: Free

[*] posted on 27-12-2015 at 14:29

For anyone reading this (whether it be OP or just a lurker found off Google), I can easily help you with a clandestine laboratory for under $400. Especially with the CAD so low as it is.
The chemicals are another story, of course. But simple glassware for non-inert/anhydrous reaction conditions can almost be set up for under $500.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 27-12-2015 at 16:20

No rookie can properly identify what might be a lab. Nor should such a person mess with what they suspect might be one. Call in a hazmat unit, and a real chemist.

It's a job for experts. Not including me.

The hazards involved are unknowable. There are plenty of dangers, and if one were to be dumb and unlucky, further communication with our world could only be accomplished via a Ouija Board.

Change all of the nicer words into scary ones, and you'll get the picture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rApjRE1MXg

[Edited on 28-12-2015 by zed]

Go To Top