Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Light blue hydroxide
Romix
Hazard to Others (Literally)

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-9-2016 at 12:44

Quote: Originally posted by crystal grower  
Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Sounds a lot like copper chloride to me. Anhydrous is brown, hydrated chloride is green, hydroxide is blue. The grey oxide doesn't fit, since it should be black, but maybe there was incomplete decomposition. How hot did you heat it, and for how long?

copper chloride is what came to my mind first (I've noticed this thread today as you posted this reply :D).
Try dissolving carbonate or hydroxide in sulfuric acid to see what colour does the sulfate is.

No, there ain't a tenth of a procent of Cu+2 there.
You can clearly see Ni by the colour of complex.
And hydroxide of copper is dark blue! You are wrong.

[Edited on 15-9-2016 by Romix]
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 06:06

If you're so confident it's nickel, why ask at all?

Have you done any actual tests for ions, or were you too busy dismissing our ideas out of hand?
Metallus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2016 at 08:19

Try adding potassium iodide or sodium bisulfite in acidic solution or sodium bisulfite. Most transition metal ions in higher oxidation states are mild/strong oxidants, so a reaction may occur.

Also, when I first looked at the pic you posted, I immediatly thought of copper chloride as well.

It's true, addition of ammonia will lead to the formation of a dark blue complex.... that is if you pour a lot of ammonia. If you added just a few drops, the hydroxide will precipitate out just because of the pH increase.

Try drowning that salt in ammonia and tell us the results.
crystal grower
Hazard to Others

Mood: Puzzled

[*] posted on 21-9-2016 at 11:00

Simply precipitate carbonate, dissolve in sulfuric acid and let the sulfate crystallize. From the appearance of the crystals one can easily tell what metal ion is present.

Elements collected:31/92
Last acquired: Co
Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page
Also make sure to check out my and hegi's website :) :
http://pieceofscience.com
Thanks.
xfusion44
Hazard to Others

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 22-9-2016 at 03:09

This is copper chloride, for comparison:

Anhydrous (green pieces are a bit moist)
img20160922124138.jpg - 2.7MB

Solution with low concentration of chloride ions (higher concentration makes solution more greenish)
img20160922124856.jpg - 1.9MB

Romix
Hazard to Others (Literally)

[*] posted on 25-9-2016 at 09:41

Quote: Originally posted by Metallus  
Try adding potassium iodide or sodium bisulfite in acidic solution or sodium bisulfite. Most transition metal ions in higher oxidation states are mild/strong oxidants, so a reaction may occur.

Also, when I first looked at the pic you posted, I immediatly thought of copper chloride as well.

It's true, addition of ammonia will lead to the formation of a dark blue complex.... that is if you pour a lot of ammonia. If you added just a few drops, the hydroxide will precipitate out just because of the pH increase.

Ok, would oxide, hydroxide, carbonate of nickel dissolve in ammonia solution? Or precipitated mixture better to be dissolved in acid, before addition of (aq) NH4OH. Metallic Ni reacts very very slow, compare to copper.

[Edited on 25-9-2016 by Romix]
Metallus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-9-2016 at 02:45

Quote: Originally posted by Romix  
Quote: Originally posted by Metallus  

Ok, would oxide, hydroxide, carbonate of nickel dissolve in ammonia solution? Or precipitated mixture better to be dissolved in acid, before addition of (aq) NH4OH. Metallic Ni reacts very very slow, compare to copper.

[Edited on 25-9-2016 by Romix]

Yes, when you drown your precipitated oxide/hydroxide in ammonia, a good part should re-dissolve. I never tried dissolving a carbonate with ammonia, so you may try to first bubble out all the CO2 in acid solution, then neutralize and add ammonia.

This was part of a lab experience my professor made me do: precipitation of copper/zinc hydroxide with a few drops of ammonia, and then re-dissolution when a lot of ammonia is added.

Co, Ni, Cu, Zn behave like that and they all give different colors (magenta, violet, deep blue and colorless respectively).

[Edited on 27-9-2016 by Metallus]
Camroc37
Hazard to Others

Mood: Must...Nitrate...EVERYTHING!

[*] posted on 27-9-2016 at 18:07

Quote: Originally posted by Romix  
At the start it's purple, then colorless.
Valency change?
Then turning green, possibly nickel starting oxidizing, or reacting with solution.

Carbonate and hydroxide. same colour.

[Edited on 17-4-2016 by Romix]

Possibly Vanadium? Not sure though

Youtube channel is Camroc37.
I make chemistry videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpvdD2LIyXA34jvhPlUXorQ
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Metallus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-10-2016 at 07:33

This may come into hand when you need to differentiate colors in different mediums.

http://www.docbrown.info/page07/SSquestions/transppt.gif

If it's vanadium, then it should give some signs of reaction with reductants (in which case, try acid solution of bisulfite; it should turn from yellow/orange -> light blue)
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 17-10-2016 at 14:25

What is the source of the salt?

If a school project, not likely an expense salt.

From electronic equipment,...., which may give clues.

Try a flame test.

Heat it to glowing or nearly so and drop it into a bottle of hydrogen. Carefully smell ( you may wish to check first with the teacher if this would be a reasonably safe procedure for the sample of salts distributed to the class) the gas and examine any metal liberated, including its color, density, melting point, reactivity to water, dilute and strong acid.

[Edited on 18-10-2016 by AJKOER]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top