Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Table salt heating bath?
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 28-1-2016 at 15:17

Wouldn't Al powder be rather toxic? Especially heated up? I recall that early Alzheimer syndromes were attributed to people smoking drugs with Al pipes.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 28-1-2016 at 17:11

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
Wouldn't Al powder be rather toxic? Especially heated up? I recall that early Alzheimer syndromes were attributed to people smoking drugs with Al pipes.

The old proposed aluminum-Alzheimer's link has no support in current scientific literature.

Aluminum is not a volatile metal, unlike zinc and cadmium.*

If aluminum were really toxic, the widespread use of aluminum cookware, and use of foil for food packaging would be extremely problematic. The use of aluminum hydroxide in medications ditto.

*Cadmium reaches 0.1% Atm Pressure at 380C, it reaches 1% at 470 C.
For zinc this is 477 C and 579 C.
For aluminum this is 1544 C and 1781 C.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 14:51

I tried a table salt bath yesterday and found that they work pretty well. I didn't manage to reach a temperature above 285 C, and it took a while to get there, but the heat source was only 600 watts, and I made no special effort to insulate. It's definitely less messy than an oil bath.

Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 14:02

What comes to my mind is casting a cylinder of aluminium and cutting out a spherical hole on a lathe. Hole size close to the size of your RB flask. I've done such casting with zinc molten in an old steel pan over a Teclu (Bunsen) burner. Aluminium would just require a lot more heat to get it molten, but has a much lower heat capacity (specific heat, to use the correct physical term), so would heat up much quicker in use.

I have an IKA magnetic stirrer/hotplate, and using a thin steel cup filled with lamp oil, it took about 45 minutes before 100C oil temperature was finally reached (the stirrer temperature sensor was put in the oil). I guess putting it at full power and switching to sensor control when the water in the RBF starts to boil, will be a whole lot quicker.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 14:21

A few companies sell those under the designation "heating blocks." They are expensive.

Lamp oil, huh? That seems like it would be dangerous... when I use oil, I usually use soybean oil, which, while flammable, has a flash point above 300 C.

PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 19:35

This fellow made plaster heating mantles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKFC0ke_DOU&t=315s

I have considered this route, especially for a large one.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 21:02

I have tried making heating mantles and found it to be more trouble than it's worth, but I never got around to making one with clay....

I have one but have only used it once, and I've never liked them very much, mainly because you need one for each size flask you plan to use. They are more efficient than a hotplate in terms of watts required to achieve a given temperature for a given period of time, though. Temperature control with one is actually not bad, but I'm sure an oil bath gives you more precise control.

Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 10-2-2017 at 04:40

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
A few companies sell those under the designation "heating blocks." They are expensive.
Good to know, thanks!

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Lamp oil, huh? That seems like it would be dangerous... when I use oil, I usually use soybean oil, which, while flammable, has a flash point above 300 C/
When heated to around 100C ignition won't be a big problem. The composition is alkanes in the range C7-C20, according to the label. I should distill of the low boiling components, but didn't get to it yet.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top