Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DMSO + Salicylic Acid? (Wart Removal)
zombiedude1
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 00:56
DMSO + Salicylic Acid? (Wart Removal)

First off, let me apologize for the amateur request & question as I couldn't find simple information on this using google.

It's known that Salicylic Acid in solutions of around 10-60% is used to help treat warts by inhibiting the production of sebum, while also eliminating the inflammatory process.

However, would it be more effective to use in a solution of distilled water and DMSO (for greater/faster penetration)?

If anyone has any knowledge on this subject regarding safe amounts to use, treatment recommendations, etc... It would be highly appreciated. Yes, I plan on testing this treatment if the community deems it to be safe enough to conduct as I just so happened to find one... :o

...Or does this wild guess seem to be unsafe and dangerous?
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 06:13

I dont know, but I do know a number of people die every year from overdose from over using preps that contain salicylic acid in a gel form for sore muscles.

Treat it like you would aspirin! So putting Grams of the stuff on you isnt going to do you much good. Having said that wait for a decent answer!!

Warts are caused by a virus, killing is often done with super freezing, I used component freezing spray used to test electronics. Took a few goes though

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 08:54

I would not recommend this but there was one time I had a wart on my thumb, i never get them. I was taking organic chemistry in college at the time and the experiment called for something like 6M Sodium hydroxide solution which i mixed up put my thumb over the hole of the test tube and proceeded to vigorously shake as instructed.

My lab partner looks at me and goes... "that solution is rather basic you should probably use parafin to cover the hole" but i had exposed my figure exactly on the effected area to this basic solution... it had turned kind of white and looked like the skin was damaged. It was not painful or anything just some minor burning. After about 4 days the wart i had for months was gone. I had not tried other treatments but i got the wart in May and the experiment was in October so it wasnt going away on its own.

Now i would never recommend something like this but it is incredibly interesting i managed to give my wart the correct dose of sodium hydroxide solution to destroy the infected tissue and remove the infection. Best chemistry class and terrible practice in safety ever!

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
zombiedude1
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 16:26

Great information Ghost, I've tried freezing one I've had in the past (on my hand) which didn't seem to work for me so well. Apple Cider Vinegar worked decently; but eventually my immune system just removed the wart. I have a plantar on my foot which I've never had a wart there before and it's a little bigger so I'd imagine I'll need a stronger treatment or I might just have to visit the dermatologist.

szuko, that's an interesting story! Perhaps I'll give that one a try, it's great to have stocked up on chemicals, I just keep finding random uses for them as time goes on. Thanks for sharing that information. (I know you don't recommend it, but ... science!) However, I'll be waiting for more answers before this guinea pig gets tested.

Awesome answers, hoping for others to chime in!
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 16:44

I took a finger wart off with that salicylic acid OTC treatment, probably Dr Scholl's brand. I also had my doctor freeze one off with liquid nitrogen.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-1-2016 at 09:55

Quote: Originally posted by zombiedude1  
Thanks for sharing that information. (I know you don't recommend it, but ... science!) However, I'll be waiting for more answers before this guinea pig gets tested.

Awesome answers, hoping for others to chime in!

I only advise against it because one trial is hardly proof and it was something i did by mistake so other then knowing the concentration of the solution, 6M sodium hydroxide is burned into my memory from this experience, so i couldnt tell you how to replicate it. I would always advise tried and true methods before experimental but the side effects of slightly over doing it may not be terrible, just missing skin and chemical burns... its better then poisoning or gasses ;)

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2016 at 15:13

I find that eye of newt is a safer remedy than 6M sodium hydroxide :D

In all seriousness, you might try asking a pharmacist or a doctor. You might also try asking a health food store clerk or your local witch doctor, but that's probably less wise than asking for opinions here.
zombiedude1
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-1-2016 at 02:44

Local witch doctor, now that's the advice I was looking for!

I was also thinking perhaps 35% hydrogen peroxide?
That stuff leaves some nasty little burns!

I'm guessing all methods of damaging your skin cells badly will help kill warts, nearly the same way laser tattoo removal works.
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2016 at 03:36

I tried a strong silver nitrate solution on a wart my wife has on her middle finger, the skin darkened and after a week the darkened skin peeled off revealing the wart unscathed. I think I'll try some salicylic acid next, if I can get it to penetrate
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2016 at 11:28

I tried salicylic acid in DMSO on a couple of warts.
It failed.
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2016 at 13:33

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I find that eye of newt is a safer remedy than 6M sodium hydroxide :D

In all seriousness, you might try asking a pharmacist or a doctor. You might also try asking a health food store clerk or your local witch doctor, but that's probably less wise than asking for opinions here.

Tell me about it and I constantly volunteer the story going "it worked for me but i wouldnt recommend it" So strange that a simple lab mistake, one that I didnt really do it was just a reaction to start shaking the test tube, somehow cured the only wart I had in my life. I dont know if it was the sodium hydroxide or just good timing but either way I wouldnt recommend purposefully damaging your skin with chemicals in an effort to fix what is largely a topical inconvenience. Go with a doctors recommendation before a foolish 20 year olds lab mistake :)

Go To Top