Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can alkenes form adducts for purification/isolation?
SunriseSunset
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 08:22
Can alkenes form adducts for purification/isolation?

Is it possible to isolate Asarone from essential oil of Calamus and reclaim it using some of the same concepts used in Sodium Bisulfite/NaI adducts of ketones or oximes? I'm wondering if there's a better way to isolate Asarones from its essential oil to a point of near 99% purity. The oil starts off as upwards of 70% Asarones when it's originated from India.

If there was a way, I would probably try it out like such: Calamus oil dissolved in a solvent then dried (if necessary), form the complex or adduct to isolate the Arasone and after reclaiming it as an oil, vacuum distill to aim towards 99%+ purity. Thanks in advance

[Edited on 8-1-2016 by SunriseSunset]

Why do chemists call helium, curium and barium the medical elements?
because if you cant helium or curium, you barium! - Heimerdinger
Mesa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 00:09

No, alkenes do not undergo any conveniently reversible adduct formations.

Given the essential oil probably consists of a tonne of other random aromatic alkenes/terpene's it would be pointless even if it were possible.

Lastly, clarify what you mean by "isolate" and "purity."
Asarone is a name referring to 3 different compounds as isomers. Do you want an isolation of a specific isomer? Or just the mix of isomers.
SunriseSunset
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-1-2016 at 18:01

Just the mix of isomers would do. I figure column chromatography may work to further isolate each isomers

Purity: I mean a percentage of purity compared to total composition by mole". Isolate I mean to separate fractions (pure or impure) to leave out other components and enhancing overall purity of the desired to a degree if any.

I figured alkenes might not be able to do that, but it was worth asking somebody. Thank you mesa!

By any chance do you know what all functional groups do form adducts? So that I wont ask this question again

[Edited on 11-1-2016 by SunriseSunset]

Why do chemists call helium, curium and barium the medical elements?
because if you cant helium or curium, you barium! - Heimerdinger

Go To Top