Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Almost free science books (postage only)
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 17:33
Almost free science books (postage only)

Folks,

I am still sorting through a large collection of used science books I recently acquired, and have a number of books that I don't need, and are not worth listing on Amazon (the book store I work with dos not list things there for less than about $3-5). We donate many books to a local thrift store, but they don't really want toxicology, analytical chemistry, medical, or engineering books, mostly just fiction. The media rate shipping on books starts at $3 for 1 pound, but is under $10 for 10 pounds, so a whole box of books is not too expensive. Many of these are older editions, but will work well for beginners. But Amazon asks $4 for postage for every books, so not practical to sell through them one at a time, but ~10 books would only cost you ~$10, assuming about a pound each.

So if anyone here is interested in the following topics, let me know if you are interested, and I can try to provide a box of books for just the cost of postage. Examples of topics are math (books on fractals, discrete systems, statistics, regression, and many other math topics), analytical chemistry (books on HPLC, MS, NMR, and much more), medicine (Cecil's Textbook of medicine (a classic, weighs about 5-6 lbs), pharmacotherapy, liver tox, kidneys, etc), Aldrich structure index and Library of Rare Chemicals (much is available on the computer now, but still neat), biology and biochemistry, cancer, drug discovery and testing, environment/pollution/hazards, computers (Unix, Powerpoint, and many other PC topics), and much more. I have well over 1000 books to try get adopted, at some point what is left will be donated or trashed. I gave a partial list in my thread before, but it is tough to give a perfect list.

If you are interested in a specific topic, let me know and I can try to see what I have, and send either a list, and photo, or an idea of the weight of a box full of books on the subject. I even have some on some specific chemicals and areas, like pesticides, heavy metals, and classes of drugs. All books are subject to prior disposal, and if multiple people ask about one area, I will choose whoever seems to have the best reason for asking. And no, I don't have any manuals on making illegal drugs or explosives. Just send me a u2u or an email, and I will get back as fast as I can.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 21:14

Well, energetic materials would be my choice... I already have "dead tree" editions of many of the historical and more common modern texts, but shoot me a list of anything that is EM related.

image.jpg - 174kB image.jpg - 16kB image.jpg - 21kB

WTF?!!! Those pictures were meant for another thread (crystal growing), the machine crashed before I hit enter something like 8 hours ago!!!

[Edited on 10-1-2016 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 21:49

Nice pix Bert.
I love books. I have even read most of the ones I own. The problem with offers like this one is shipping to the other side of the world is prohibitively expensive -- usually.
Bob, if you happen to know the rate per kg to get something to Oz, could you post it here. If it is reasonable enough I might be interested in a few kilograms.

Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2016 at 03:19

I'd be interested in anything in the areas of chemiluminescence or photochromism. I'm also interested in anything of roughly degree level or more printed before say 1910.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 10-1-2016 at 09:25

Do you have any biographies of scientists Dr. Bob? Reading one about Schrodinger ATM.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 10-1-2016 at 11:38

A List of Titles would be useful here.

How about posting photos of the books, and anyone interested in helping can type up
the titles, so you end up with a complete list.

If 10 people help out and you can get 50 books in a photo, that's just 20 photos and
the 'helpers' look at 2 photos each, then type out just 100 lines of simple text.

Pretty sure most of us have typed more than 100 lines of text on this forum.
(9 lines of text in this post alone).

I'll certainly type 100 lines of text in order for some useful books to survive.

Books still work even when there's no electricity !

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2016 at 12:10

The challenge is not finding the titles, it is that the books are in about 20+ boxes in a few tall stacks, and not in a great deal of order. So finding one title in the mix is not trivial, but as I go through the boxes I have tried to pull certain types of books together and keep them in particular boxes. If people are willing understand that I cannot find every book on a list, I can post a rough list of titles, but there is no promise that I can find it among the pile. I'll try to pull together a rough list, similar to what I posted before in the glassware thread, but it will not be perfect by any means. What I really need is for each person to provide a bookcase and somewhere to put it, as I am way past out of space for more books myself. :-) That is why I am trying to find them homes.

I'll put an excel sheet here soon. The first column is the ISBN or Amazon number, you can see more about a book by simply pasting that number into Amazon's search box, it is specific to specific edition, so you can see the date of the box and which edition there, even if not in the title. Then the title and author, and a code that gives me a slight clue as to what box it might be in. This list is not complete, but gives you an idea of what books that I have. There may be duplicates of some of the books, as well as I may have missed some, this was a manual cut and paste from several lists. But it will get it started.

Attachment: sci mad books.xls (216kB)
This file has been downloaded 446 times

[Edited on 10-1-2016 by Dr.Bob]
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-1-2016 at 14:44

I'd love to get some books since I find electronic ones much harder to navigate than physical books, I'll take a look at that list and U2U the names of some of the ones I'm interested in.
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-1-2016 at 15:04

I'm interested and if anyone needs it I can vouch for Dr.Bob.

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 05:23

What I will do is compile a list of what people are looking for, and then try to go through the boxes and find as much as I can of it, then get back once I have looked for a bunch of things for a bunch of people at once. So it may take a while, but I will work on it as I can. The more people that give me lists now, the sooner it is worth looking through the pile. And again, if you just want one book, it may be not save you much, but if you want a bunch of books, then the savings in postage is worth it.

I also have a book writen for women in science, maybe ideal for some in college or grad school, any takers?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2016 at 18:50

I have gathered some books for the requests that I got, not quite finished yet, but working on it. So I will get back to people who made requests in a week or two.

But I do have a box full of advanced math books, anther with more basic math books, and lots of statistics books, please ask if you have any particular topics in stats, and another box of analytical books, including a couple on NMR. If anyone here is interesting in those topics, please let me know.

I am still sorting the rest, lots of books on environment, toxicology, and more. Not much on energetics, other than maybe one on their toxicology, but I will try to find that one for Bert.

Bob

Go To Top