Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  28    30    32  ..  60
Author: Subject: Preparation of elemental phosphorus
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-10-2010 at 07:25

red phosphorus sublimes but i believe white boils so i may have only that as an option.

metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 31-10-2010 at 08:46

A borosilicate retort won't work above 700oC it melts like plastic. And making P requires, as you know, a LOT more. These are OK when doing experiments not above the 500 or 600s (dull red glow).
Maybe a quartz retort might do the job but this participates in the reaction.
EDIT:

http://www.qsiquartz.com/

sells quartz labware.

[Edited on 2010-10-31 by metalresearcher]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-10-2010 at 12:27

Quote: Originally posted by metalresearcher  
A borosilicate retort won't work above 700oC it melts like plastic. And making P requires, as you know, a LOT more.
[Edited on 2010-10-31 by metalresearcher]

We're talking about distilling the product of Roger's efforts, NOT about using glass retorts for the production of P. White P has a boiling point of 280 C, still quite high for a dangerous substance...

Roger: for a one stage distillation your retort would be fine. And that would get rid of most of the junk...
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-10-2010 at 18:48

of course the main concern here would be an even temp inside the retort or the P would just reflux...wonder if this might be a good time to try that questionable design with a free or cheap junkyard microwave. no...with the need to inject inert gas things could get to complicated to keep safe. perhaps woelen's test tube method has more merit in this case...of course as peach pointed out, i could use the P for synthesis and distill the products of that synthesis to obtain a purified secondary product leaving the crap behind(in theory).

i do agree that this is a very high boiling point for a dangerous substance but we're reaching the same temps here as trying to purify sulfuric acid which can be just as scary as far as what it will do to you in the event of catastrophic failure. i would hate to have either substance on my skin. so...face shield, elbow neoprene gloves and full body covering. with the added risk of extremely horrid fire, i think this may have to be an outdoor venture.

perhaps i could fill a production style retort with the product and run it like a production run. there will be loss but the P would distill over like normal only cleaner...thoughts?

[Edited on 1-11-2010 by Rogeryermaw]

peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 09:56

With your sublimation point in mind, I'd go for the PCl3 and distill that at 76C.

The worrying thing about distilling the raw phosphorus is the flammability, the way it interacts with the atmosphere even as a solid and the high temperatures involved.

Both are not good to breath in, with the PCl3 being more so. But dealing with the toxicity of the latter would be easier, for me, than the risk of it bursting into flames with the added bonus of being slightly less dangerous to breath in.

PCl3 isn't a fire hazard, at all, according to the NFPA fire diamond.

Also, you'll probably want to clean up the PCl3 anyway, which may mean another distillation at the end. So it may be easier to skip the first, go to the PCl3 and clean that up on it's own.

[Edited on 1-11-2010 by peach]

Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 11:20

that makes sound sense. i do have enough of the product that fairly clean to give it a go on a small scale.

Enantiomer
Harmless

Mood: READY - TO - ROCK!!!

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 18:48
Interesting idea?

I have not ready the entire thread - it's huge! And if what I'm about to suggest has already been discussed somewhere I appologize in advance.

In the very first post in this thread the guy mentions, near the end of the post, something about using aluminum or magnesium powder. I'm not extremely knowledgeable about chemistry. Specifically, I'm not real keen on what is meant by "reducing agent" in this context - since this is what he is referring to in this part of his post. An idea did occur to me though that I would like to put forward.

Magnesium is flammable. Anything that burns has it's own temperature that it burns at. The need for high heat is an issue with the traditional methods of priducing phosphurs. Perhaps there is some powder (maybe magnesium powder, maybe somthing else) that is flamable and that burns at about the right temp for the traditional ways. If this were included in the mixture and ignited one would have an interal heat source that heats in the right temp range. This is something that could considerable simplify and speed up the process (if it worked). I can also see the possibility of a few problems with this idea too though. Such as: what kind of gasses the thing you were using for the heat souce emit and contamnation of the final product; side rxns with the same, etc.

Any thoughts on this?

Enantiomer

Please don't eat the roses . . .
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 22:19

Somewhere in this thread, you'll see thermite type mixtures used, where aluminum or magnesium reduce the phosphate directly. The phosphate itself is a fine source of oxygen, no gasses required.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Enantiomer
Harmless

Mood: READY - TO - ROCK!!!

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 15:11
Good ol' Tim

Sweeet!! I'll have to look for that.

Enantiomer

Please don't eat the roses . . .
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-11-2010 at 12:58

Quote: Originally posted by 12AX7  
Somewhere in this thread, you'll see thermite type mixtures used, where aluminum or magnesium reduce the phosphate directly. The phosphate itself is a fine source of oxygen, no gasses required.

Tim

Unfortunately that didn't really work though. I tried the direct reduction of calcium orthophosphate with Al powder, lit like you would light Classic Thermite TM but I couldn't get it to ignite...
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 31-12-2010 at 16:13

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Quote: Originally posted by 12AX7  

Tim

Unfortunately that didn't really work though. I tried the direct reduction of calcium orthophosphate with Al powder, lit like you would light Classic Thermite TM but I couldn't get it to ignite...

this type of thermite rection need extremly high temperatur to go you could try to melt the alu with the orthophosphate, liquid have very high surface area.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 14:13

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
this type of thermite rection need extremly high temperatur to go you could try to melt the alu with the orthophosphate, liquid have very high surface area.

I tried lighting the calcium orthophosphate ‘thermite’ with a mixture of Al/KClO3/S as ignition pill. That ignition mixture burns to well above 2,500C, if that doesn’t light it then I dunno what does. I think the dissociation temperature for Ca3(PO4)2 === > CaO + P2O5 is too high, much higher than for metaphospates (used throughout this thread) like Calgon.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 12:04

I'v done it,

Well sort of but you will see why im atlest a little giddy about it.

I took something called Nu-Calgon which is something that is used in micromat systems assuming it at this point to be Sodium hexametaphosphate and shreaded Aluminum foil in a stainless steel crucible.

I laid out a layer of Aluminum and placed the Calgon product on top. I noticed sometime back that as this substance melts that when Al or Zinc is place in it some form of gas came out that burned green on contact with air. When the material melts it has the consistancy of melted glass and these gas bubbles where getting trapped on cooling only to ignite when the melt was crushed. The strong garlicy smell lead me to make a melt of this and then quench the reaction with water when the most material seemed to be trapped.

After a few minutes to cool down I started to break the cake away from the stainless steel vessle and kept it in water to see if I could dissolve all of the Calgon and leave some residue to perform test on.

After removing the melt and placing the stainless steel vessle aside I started to get a strong garlic smell after about 20 seconds and I could see vapors rising from the still slightly damp bowl.

I took this into a dark place and to my delight the bottom of the bowl was glowing like a firefly.

===========================================================

Thats awsome looking and I hope I can make something of it in time but right now im a bit concerned about all that garlic smell I was just around now assured I have contacted White Phosphorus I must take a few steps back and regroup my means of performing this synthesis to ensure my safety.

Any thoughts?
If I can perform this reaction at a low enough temperature im woundering if I can trap all the formed phosphorus under a water soluble layer of melt.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 13:34

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
I'v done it,

Well sort of but you will see why im atlest a little giddy about it.

I took something called Nu-Calgon which is something that is used in micromat systems assuming it at this point to be Sodium hexametaphosphate and shreaded Aluminum foil in a stainless steel crucible.

Can you describe the Nu-Calgon product better?
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 13:59

Im attempting to do so now.

Im not 100% sure but I believe this is the MSDS of the stuff I have,
http://www.nucalgon.com/assets/MSDS/English/4243.pdf

It states that its Sodium Phosphate tribasic. So if that is to be trusted, which its not until I pull up some more information from the container then its nothing more then Trisodium Phosphate. The reason I don't really trust that is because it list no hazard decomposition products but I have clearly seen it turn to what appears to be Phosphorus by boiling it with a blow torch. Adding Al, Mg, Carbon or Zn have increased the production of the flammable gas I have been seeing. I still have to figure out what temperature this reaction is taking place at as well and as soon as I get my IR thermometer back here which will be later tonight I will check it.

I tried to make it into a retort and capture the off gas in H2O but have so far had no luck.

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 14:28

So Na3PO4. Yes, that would react with Al or Mg at elevated temps. to yield P4. But isolating the P is the whole art, Sedit...
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 16:23

Isolation, esp on a small scale will be a task in itself without a doubt. I know the TSP is soluble in water so thats a start but then there will be other contaminations to deal with.

Like I said I tryed a simple retort but can not seem to get anything to come out which strikes me as odd because it can be seen forming rapidly in an open system yet getting anything to come out the other end seems like a no go.

On a larger scale and a good enough heat source I don't think it will be that hard to produce P4 at all but I still have some small scale test to run before I wrap a retort made of pipe fitting in nichrome wire and jack the heat up. The who Potassium thread has got my brain scambling for means of performing something simular in a solvent based lower temperature setting.

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 17:12

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
The reason I don't really trust that is because it list no hazard decomposition products but I have clearly seen it turn to what appears to be Phosphorus by boiling it with a blow torch.

Well I don't think those conditions apply to the msds. Perhaps your product is not virgin pure and in fact contains something organic.

Perhaps checking the pH can aid some in identity.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 18:12

Im highly doubtful of organics because it looks like shattered glass. Im almost positive now that what I have is TSP but your right and a PH test would be good, I just hope my PH tester is still working because I stuck it into to strong of an acid the other day and it started to bubble violently. I may have to resort to PH strips.

Either way Im just excited to see elemental Phosphorus glow.

Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 18:42

Looks like glass, easily melts under torch flame, MSDS reports solution is only faintly alkaline... this is not trisodium phosphate, despite a message to that effect later in the MSDS. It's some sort of polyphosphate/metaphospate. That's good news, actually. It's similar to what Rogeryermaw has used with success before.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 19:15

That is great news, Let me look for his synthesis and ill try to repeat it word for word.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 19:34

Here's some more information from Nu-Calgon's website:

http://www.nucalgon.com/assets/prodlit/3-70.pdf

This is good news if it is reasonably priced and OTC.

The old consumer product Calgon ("Calgon take me away") doesn't seem to be available anymore. Most likely due to concerns about phosphate contamination of surface waters.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 20:20

I just did a quick search since I do not know the price since its been sitting in my shop for about 5 years or more but the search shows them selling 8oz packets for 24$. This is not what I have but I believe the same product. Mine is contained in a one liter jug or so. Im pretty sure your local Ace or plumbing shop would have it and I would not doubt Large chain stores to have something simular.

Now I must find a good source of fine Silica if I want to proceed since I have read in this thread it would increase yeilds to something I may be able to capture.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 04:07

Silica: finely ground sand (preferably desalinated and decarbonated) or dry ground silicagel (these little sachets you get with electronic appliances) will do. Grind in a granite mortar and pestle.

Overall reaction:

12 Na3PO4 + 18 SiO2 + 20 Al === > 18 Na2SiO3 + 10 Al2O3 + 3 P4

Try heating a fine mixture of Nucalgon, silica and Al powder in a steel crucible on direct flame (Bunsen). Once reaction starts (stop heating!), burning jets of P4 should boil off, forming P2O5 smoke. Do it in the dark (to see the phosphorescence) and outside (don’t breathe the P2O5).

That’s what happened when I used NaPO3 (Na metaphosphate – ‘old calgon’) in that set up.

For ideas in P4 isolation read this thread! Trust me, it’s the HARDEST bit!
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 04:24

I recently bought a lump (about 20 grams) of white phosphorus. It is covered with some red material. Is this red phosphorus?
 Pages:  1  ..  28    30    32  ..  60

Go To Top