Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Homemade mouse/rat poisons
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2016 at 20:16
Homemade mouse/rat poisons

I have tried at least 4 different mouse poisons and even the glue traps. These mice are smart buggers and learn to get off the glue and they have devoured a over half of these poison bars and I still see them running around.

One mouse I saw next to my foot, barely moving - scared the crap out of me at first - I caught it and put it in a platstic container to see what would happen. I woudl barely move and wouldn't run from me so IDK if it was blinded or paralyzed or what. The poison was Tomcat green bars. After about 24-30 hours the mouse was back to normal looking for a way to get out. 5 days later and he was still fine, so they can recover from these poisons.

I talked to a number of customers at the store looking at baits/poison and they reported the same thing. They were buying the new expensive stuff in hopes that this stuff would work. It was like $50 for less than a gallon jug and that was the smallest size!!

so I'm wondering if there is something that can be used that will do the job quick and is available to normal folk (doesn't have to be commercial made rodent poison, I can figure out how to use it). There are no other animals that are going to eat this so that isn't an issue and I'll only place it in places like under the stove, fridge, washing machine, on top of rafters, etc.

Does anyone have anything that works for them?
annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-1-2016 at 20:53

Try getting a cat. Seriously.

Any other SF Bay chemists?
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 14-1-2016 at 21:13

Looks like the active ingredient is a blood thinner, BROMADIOLONE. Similar but different, kind the in-laws use. Several** times the dogs got poisoned from it. One dog went almost blind, and then got his vision back. Looked like red devil eyes. Our dog got it while we were visiting... Not pleased about that one. At least no one was lost, but I think it was like 5x a dog got it. Had to be put on vitamin K for a month. I noticed the page I read also said it was vit-k antagonist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromadiolone
https://toolroom.com.au/news/25/TOMCAT-Rat-%26-Mouse-POISON-...

What about leaving salty things out for them, keep the potassium flushing out from sodium intake. Basically making it more likely to do damage? A pinch of super salted sunflower seads maybe, left after a bait had been eaten in the same spot?

Option two. Get good at using a bb-gun without damaging your house or family.

3) mix 2 really cheap poisons or rotate ever couple of days.

Being that I'm no expert at all, these would be my first three options. I've only tried #2, and it's not fun dodging ricochet's. Safety goggles are manditory. If you have enough of a problem, your aim gets good quick. We had wood rats in the rabbit coop, crapping in the feeders while stealing food= not good. They used glue traps and green bait poison most the time. looked like sawdust after it came out the back side of a dog. I just happened to be around for work when there was a fresh batch of youngsters from a decent sized mature population.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 14-1-2016 at 22:17

Squill.

Barium carbonate.

Less likely to kill your dog or cat, not used commercially for a long time. Your mice have not been selected for resistance to these for several decades, probably. And Barium carbonate at least is CHEAP.

[Edited on 15-1-2016 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2016 at 23:48

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Squill.

Barium carbonate.

Less likely to kill your dog or cat, not used commercially for a long time. Your mice have not been selected for resistance to these for several decades, probably. And Barium carbonate at least is CHEAP.

[Edited on 15-1-2016 by Bert]

Thanks for the suggestion. That may be what another customer was talking about in the store when he said "they took the good stuff off the market - made it illlegal" Whatever it was he said it worked great - amazing.

I'll have to look into the carbonate and see how I would incorporate it into something they would eat.

I did find that mice don't seem to like peanut butter though, especially if there is another option.
lavenatti
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-1-2016 at 02:54

Barium carbonate works just fine. Good way to use up the cheap stuff from pottery suppliers. Mixed with peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, cookie dough or anything else they'll eat.

Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 15-1-2016 at 03:16

baking powder or plaster works really well, rats and mice cant fart, so plaster etc does for them quickly. Also fairly safe for other animals, its not used much because its considered inhumane. Same as antifreeze in water to get rid of unwanted trespassing cats that shit all over your veg patch :mad::mad:

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 15-1-2016 at 07:29

I just use standard spring-loaded snap traps. They're like $0.25 each. Jam some hard bait (like summer sausage) firmly into the trigger prong, and it works every time. The trick is to make it difficult to get the bait off the trigger. Peanut butter is too soft; they just licked it off for about a week until I switched baits.

I don't like glue traps because I have to kill them manually, and I don't like poison because they might die in the air ducts and create an unsanitary situation. It seems like they get into the house somehow with the onset of winter every year. I have been over the place multiple times with urethane foam and steel wool scrubbing pads and I STILL can't figure out how they keep getting in!

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-1-2016 at 07:39

.25" crack is all they need. If their head will fit through, the whole body will.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-1-2016 at 08:04

Well, they used to use strychnine for that...
Try the bucket of water with a weighted soda can with peanut butter on an axle over the bucket

@hyfalcon:you mean mice right? .25 inches sounds like a pretty small gap for even a mouse.

[Edited on 15-1-2016 by Pyro]

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 15-1-2016 at 08:09

I recommend the biological control (aka "cat") solution also.

Due to the peculiarities of how my house is constructed I had a perennial problem with rodent infestation (hollow walls served as rodent refuges and highways, and I was unable to find a way to seal off the exterior successfully to prevent entry.

I had something like a dozen distinct infestation episodes dealt with using Havaheart (non-lethal cage) traps and putting poison inside the walls (where dogs can't get to it). This worked, but dead rodents in the wall created occasional smell problems.

Then I got a cat. No infestations have occurred since. The effect was dramatic. It was so dramatic that I attribute it to the mere presence of the cat in the house. Rodents it seems are highly adapted to avoiding cats, and no longer take up residence in the structure since they smell the cat here.
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-1-2016 at 08:30

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
I have been over the place multiple times with urethane foam and steel wool scrubbing pads and I STILL can't figure out how they keep getting in!

Been there. One thing to realize is urethane foam is totally ineffective. They just chew right through it. I even found aluminum pie pans to be ineffective - again they chewed through it! Had to be steel sheet.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-1-2016 at 09:13

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro  

@hyfalcon:you mean mice right? .25 inches sounds like a pretty small gap for even a mouse.

[Edited on 15-1-2016 by Pyro]

Yeah, that's right, mice. Rats vary by species, some of them, like the Norway rat, can get pretty big.

[Edited on 15-1-2016 by hyfalcon]
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-1-2016 at 09:14

You could also use zinc phosphide,it has a lower LD 50 than carbonate. But the best poisons are sodium flouroacetate( or flouroacetamide) and tetramethylenedisulfotetramine a.k.a tetramine

[Edited on 15-1-2016 by CuReUS]
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 16-1-2016 at 10:17

Heard something gnawing on wood from under the house last night. Loud at 3am. Sent all 3 cats into the basement, only successful at bickering amongst each other. And probably crapping in the dirt. Too bad they haven't been able to stay outside cats for the last few years, Got all soft. Better than pancakes, the way everyone drives past our house though.

No poison getting used here, toddler present. Gotta crawl under the house to see what they are getting into now :( Wouldn't it just be karma for posting in this thread the other day, now I have intruders...
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-1-2016 at 10:29

It is possible to use poison, even with dogs and toddlers, if you place it so that it is impossible for said non-rodent to get to it.

As you know, rodents can get to places canids and hominids cannot access without tools and labor.

Consider making a "mouse trap" that is a poison bait station (only a small tube permits access. Place bait up high, in walls, in vents, etc. where only rodents go.

Go To Top