Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: ScienceMadness: the Next Generation?
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 15:21

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
For this to work it needs to be simple, with pictures/video and easy for google to index.

Complicate it in any way and it will fail.

In what way is anyone trying to complicate it?

A sub-forum would be nice but it's not imperative there be one right now. It could also be created after a few tutorial threads have been 'completed', these could then be migrated in the dedicated, new sub-forum.

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 20:48

I'm really interested in this. I know one of the main things I look at on wiki is how the element or compound was discovered, how it was first isolated, first synthesized and how it is produced commercially and or in a lab setting.

What I have found (which I find pretty odd) is that some "how it's made" is removed from certain compounds as they were once listed and weeks/months later, certain parts have been removed. I can't remember which compounds this has happened with, I know AmmNit is one for sure, but there are a lot of others.

I think one of the best ideas would be some kind of a diagram (3D-ish pyramid??) of "how to get here" for specific compounds like how to make XXX showing combining A, B & C to get X. Then maybe show how to make A, B and C. Listing all practical ways would be ideal. I know that is a lot of work, but compounds could be assigned to participating members who keep that compound updated.

IDK, just a thought on what could be useful and helpful to members.
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 19-1-2016 at 13:40

In my ideal world, the science madness preparations would be organized like how Khan academy was (or used to be). Starting off with basic preparations and background, you can follow branches to create more complex molecules, as well as diving deeper into the world of chemistry. For example, you can start at Calcium Carbonate, learn about it, make Calcium Oxide. he Calcium Oxide then goes into Cyanamide, etc. Hopefully this makes sense, because no matter how badly I express it I think its a good idea to connect the preparations in a linear way.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 19-1-2016 at 19:04

Forum threads are not the best format for long-term collaboration and polishing material.

I think the wiki would be better suited: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

Send me a U2U if you want a wiki account. You need to be a registered forum user with a public posting history to get edit-access for the wiki.

[Edited on 1-20-2016 by Polverone]

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-1-2016 at 19:43

Quote: Originally posted by Polverone  
Forum threads are not the best format for long-term collaboration and polishing material.

I think the wiki would be better suited: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

Send me a U2U if you want a wiki account. You need to be a registered forum user with a public posting history to get edit-access for the wiki.

[Edited on 1-20-2016 by Polverone]

My main concern about the SM Wiki is that it's underused, mainly because it's poorly advertised.

How many here know of its existence or know how/where to access it, off the top of their heads?

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-1-2016 at 21:01

Yeah, the wiki does need to be easier to access. A link on the main page of sciencemadness.org would be good, and if possible, a link from the forum itself would likely get the most attention.

I can also create wiki accounts, if anyone else would like to join.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 20-1-2016 at 18:48

I didn't get a chance to read all of this thread, but I agree, SM could use a bit more shaping up. Perhaps stricter policies on 'chatter' vs actual contribution, at least i the starting of new threads. And more thread combining. I know I am still a 'useless poster' sometimes. Just a suggestion.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-1-2016 at 19:07

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Yeah, the wiki does need to be easier to access. A link on the main page of sciencemadness.org would be good, and if possible, a link from the forum itself would likely get the most attention.

I'll gladly join but the problem of visibility really needs addressing first. While SM Wiki posts are undoubtedly indexed by Google, I see it very much as an SM internal resource, although in time it may grow into something more, of course.

Is there a problem/objection to creating a 'Fundamentals > ScienceMadness Wiki' link/sub-folder?

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 20-1-2016 at 19:09

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

I'll gladly join but the problem of visibility really needs addressing first. While SM Wiki posts are undoubtedly indexed by Google, I see it very much as an SM internal resource, although in time it may grow into something more, of course.

Is there a problem/objection to creating a 'Fundamentals > ScienceMadness Wiki' link/sub-folder?
I will talk to Polverone about it.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-1-2016 at 19:18

I will talk to Polverone about it.

Since as I assume The Elder Smurf approved/supported the Wiki initiative it would seem pointless not to promote and develop it further.

I totally smurf this message. ;)

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 05:40

After reading the thread, I'd think the forum itself isn't the place for such preps, but the wiki could definitely use promotion. Not that mass-U2U-ing is exactly needed, but a little of work would help (not at I have helped much).
That prepchem.com site looks cool too, though focusing on our own projects is probably best.

[Edited on 1-21-2016 by The Volatile Chemist]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 07:53

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
After reading the thread, I'd think the forum itself isn't the place for such preps, [...]

I'm not really talking about prep threads but rather about theory threads like the QM/QC and the Acid Base theory threads.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 08:16

Yes for some reason there seems to be confusion as to the original intent of this. Blogfast wants to create general chemistry tutorial threads about general chemistry subjects, not specific compound preparations. The latter is what the Prepublication forum is for. General interest threads on acid/base theory, ionic vs covalent bonds & compounds, calculating reaction enthalpy, etc. etc. would be very helpful, especially for beginners. Since I'm mostly self-taught, refresher threads on these basic concepts and theory would be great! Most of my knowledge is on the practical side.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 08:38

After reading the thread, I'd think the forum itself isn't the place for such preps, [...]

I'm not really talking about prep threads but rather about theory threads like the QM/QC and the Acid Base theory threads.

Then go for it. I guess I could make some of these too (If that's what you were asking help for), but I don't think I would start any of these, unless you wanted one on using OpenBabel.
But, if people who have more practical or experiential knowledge than I want to start threads on this topic, please do, they would be much appreciated. I'd say it'd be great to have such a set of resources available.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 09:15

What is 'OpenBabel'?

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 09:47

What is 'OpenBabel'?

Software/libraries for converting chemical files and doing analysis on chemical structures. For a smiles formula, it figures out a structure for the molecule and reports a list of atoms in the molecule, their locations in space relative to the center of the molecule, an electron density mesh, etc. More of just fun stuff for amateurs, not too practical except for melting point prediction.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 10:11

I think a thread on using that would be very useful, seriously! Totally supported. :)

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-1-2016 at 08:28

OK, perhaps tonight I'll right one up in model of some of the ones already made. Glad I can contribute something.

crystal grower
Hazard to Others

Mood: Puzzled

[*] posted on 21-2-2016 at 13:08

Great idea, keep up the excelent work.
I would be willing to help with something if I can.

[Edited on 21-2-2016 by crystal grower]

Elements collected:31/92
Last acquired: Co
Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page
Also make sure to check out my and hegi's website :) :
http://pieceofscience.com
Thanks.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2016 at 16:30

Aaand sorry I forgot about the open-babel thing. I'll write it up soon, but I was sick today and might be too busy with schoolwork tomorrow.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2016 at 19:27

Aaand sorry I forgot about the open-babel thing. I'll write it up soon, but I was sick today and might be too busy with schoolwork tomorrow.

Ok, whenever you have the time. It's important to educate even hobbyists about 21th Century information methods, re Chemistry. That too is how we can progress, as individuals, as a community and as a knowledge hub (SM site).

Ta.

[Edited on 23-2-2016 by blogfast25]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top