Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to make a Soxhlet extractor
sclarenonz
Hazard to Self

Mood: only the mission forget past

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 13:19
How to make a Soxhlet extractor

A soxhlet extractor, for a plant researcher is good because it draws oils, lipids, alkaloids, etc., for those who like to study near unknown plants is the shortest and cheapest way is to buy a soxhlet extractor, but an appliance glass is expensive for most people.
But science can not sit still, it is what makes us grow, we have to have an alterative, always! the basic mechanics of running a soxlet of laboratory:

soxhlet.jpg - 23kBsdasdsad.jpg - 41kBinde3x.jpeg - 16kBindex.jpeg - 20kB
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 13:44

Every glass jar I have heated over flame or even gently with a hot plate has shattered within seconds... exercise caution.

The plastic is concerning; I realize that it is accessibility and cost are the biggest benefits, but I believe that the concept can be perfected.

Perhaps, a modified paint can, another smaller can, and some copper tubing could be used with some high temp epoxy to make a pretty sweet setup.

[Edited on 1-21-2016 by Detonationology]

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
sclarenonz
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 14:21

thanks for the help, I will make these modifications

but at the time it was the fastest and cheapest way, :)

yes I'm warming the glass in a bowl with oil, with low heat and I'm using a solvent that does not react with plastic, alcohol, acetone and water

careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 15:06

You can also do a pretty fair job employing PVC pipe (preferably CPVC) for part of such a thing, and using silicone tubing. The service limit for CPVC is usually given as 200 F, but given the short duty period and lack of pressure this can no doubt be pushed.

A 1 gal metal can, and using standard brass pipe fittings (they can screwed into PVC), copper tubing, a CPVC soxhlet basket, and copper tubing in a PVC pipe as a condenser might serve very well. Seal with high temperature silicone gasket compound from the auto store.
sclarenonz
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 18:08

revolutionary idea, really the condenser is flawed, because it has to be vertical and I made horizontal, the solvent which is condensed has to return to the extractor tube, and here he does not return, causing the cycle to end fast, and this high temperature silicone glue that you said, I will try search in my city. I glued it with epoxy and cyanoacrylate, but should never exceed 120 degrees, will try to make the condenser that you told me and post the pictures later, I will try to make an adaptation to aquarium pump hose, but thanks for the help: D

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 20:23

IMAG5795.jpg - 937kB

Go To Top