Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: German guy apparently wanted to make meth not bombs
Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 28-1-2016 at 12:43
German guy apparently wanted to make meth not bombs

http://www.nwzonline.de/panorama/chemikalien-mix-eher-fuer-d...

I saw this posted on another forum by a German user. A 44 year old guy bought a "suspicious amount and combination of chemicals" from a hardware store in Cologne and someone notified the police. They don't mention what chemicals. From what I understand, the guy claimed that he wasn't trying to make a bomb, but rather crystal meth.

Any German-speaking members here that can shed some light on this incident? (I don't speak German and GT can only help so much)

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 28-1-2016 at 13:02

My German ist schiess, but it seems he bought three litres of hydrogen peroxide using a false name.

No, wait- that was another guy in Frankfurt. The cops don't want to say what the Koln guy bought, just that it could be used for cleaning or explosives.

[Edited on 28-1-2016 by DraconicAcid]

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Pruned
28-1-2016 at 15:18
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 29-1-2016 at 14:30

I saw it somewhere on the tv on a news channel, nothing was said about the chemicals he purchased, but a picture of an ammonium nitrate label was shown everytime they showed the few second long report in it with nothing else on information as everything thats said here.

The article Mabus has linked says no information concerning the identity of the chemicals as long as the investigation is open will be provided from officials.
After the guy had identified himself when he saw the pictures taken in the hardware store, the police searched his home and found the guy also had drugs at home.
Because of his living environment and other personal information they think he probably wanted to use it for drugs and the guy also conceded it during interrogation.

I think it is exaggerated, they probably just made him say that and he did so he could go. Even in such a mostly liberal country drug cooking is still as stigmatised as terrorism.
I canĀ“t think of someone so stupid to admit either of these things when he just purchased something usual from a hardware store.

Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 29-1-2016 at 15:28

My bet is that he bought both acetone and hydrogen peroxide, cause that's one of the few combinations that would raise suspicions.
Though it could have just been the peroxide, as after a quick search on hydrogen peroxide in Germany, I found this:
Quote:

Furthermore, after police thwarted a bomb plot by German extremists trained in the tribal areas of Pakistan to kill American servicemen in Germany in September 2007 with hydrogen peroxide-based bombs -- the so-called "Sauerland" plot -- German law had required such stores to report to police significant purchases of hydrogen peroxide.

The article however, does not define "significant".

Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-1-2016 at 18:40

EU laws are in effect preventing the sale of H2O2 above 3% without a licence or at least a good reason I believe. Same goes for any precursors.
Oh well, I got my stock and since I'm not into organic peroxydes it will last for a long time. Damnit, last time I used a decent amount it was for a foot bath !

The thing is that accidents / bombings (like in Paris in November) still happen with TATP involved.
Last June, the newspapers in my country talked about 4 kids who used to play airsoft that got blown off in their cabin in the woods "while making smoke bombs".
Yeah right, acetone, hydrogen peroxide and chlorhydric acid for making smoke bombs... June was hot, so probably no temperature control and no understanding of the procedure. What could go wrong? :(
It's one of the few cases where I prefer disinformation to giving bad ideas to kids. I remember some years ago going into a hardware store with everything needed on just one shelf. At least now that has changed...
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 06:39

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
EU laws are in effect preventing the sale of H2O2 above 3% without a licence or at least a good reason I believe. Same goes for any precursors.

almost sure its 12%
ah well, luckily you cant use 3% or less than 30% for ANYTHING, and its luckily for government iiincredibly difficult to concentrate by boiling it down carefully, or something

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 11:47

Maybe I got mixed up with the 3% maximum concentration of nitric acid.
In any case, my suppliers still offer everything from 3% to 60%.

But err... just to be sure... your second line was a joke right?
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 23:53

yes, but it was not a recipe or a hint for whatever creature the mass medias could suppose is luring on chemistry forums with nefarious intentions

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html

Go To Top