Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kanthal vs. Nichrome
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2016 at 12:20
Kanthal vs. Nichrome

I've started selecting materials to construct a tube furnace. I noticed that garage chemist's tube furnace was constructed using kanthal wire instead of nichrome. Kanthal is more expensive than nichrome but is certainly not unaffordable, and it appears that it can tolerate much higher temperatures than nichrome.

Are there any downsides to kanthal wire other than cost?
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-1-2016 at 15:53

Just some tidbits
https://books.google.com/books?id=sBIQ1bRVe3IC&pg=PA54&a...
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2016 at 16:25

Kanthal has a much higher operating temperature than NiCr.

see this link to a hand book

http://heatingelements.hitempproducts.com/Asset/The-Kanthal-...

My limited experience is the connection to the Kanthal has a tendency to over heat but probably my fault for letting it get too hot so the oxide form which makes a relatively high resistance connection which increases the heating and oxide formation.

Its a good idea to double up the wire at the ends to make the connection but I found that difficult because the wire is so hard. (perhaps annealing it would help) The connection should be out side of the insulation to keep it cool. I am going to try tig welding next time.

The hand book also gives compatible materials for insulation in contact with the heating elements.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2016 at 17:13

That is pretty interesting... I guess I should ask what materials should be used for the terminals of heating elements.
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2016 at 19:16

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
That is pretty interesting... I guess I should ask what materials should be used for the terminals of heating elements.

I don't recall what the handbook or other technical bulletins recommends except that the connection must be sufficiently cool that they does not corrode which is helped by thicker tails (doubled up tails)

If you consider a copper soldering iron bit at about 200C it rapidly oxidises so a copper connection must be kept well below that temperature.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
22-11-2023 at 20:01

Go To Top