Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: fumaric acid OTC?
KemicallyImbalanced
Harmless

Mood: Elevated

[*] posted on 27-8-2006 at 17:10
fumaric acid OTC?

Does anyone know an OTC source of fumaric acid? I have been looking all over to no avail. If not, does anyone know of any sources (excluding chemical suppliers) that sell small amounts of it? The one source I have been able to find is some place on ebay selling half kilos and I rather not have anything to do with ebay.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2006 at 21:54

There are not many, if you mean "I can walk into a retail store and buy it" It's used as a souring agent, like citric and other 'fruit' acids, but that generally is in commericial productio where they want to sell you 25 Kg sacks of it. The other big use that I know of is in polyester resins, again not something you whip up a liter of on your own (from the basic monomers).

The best bet is large health stores, where you might find something like this

Fumaric Acid 500mg 90 Caps
http://www.seeknatural.co.uk/product-1085.html

That's rather expensive, about what I could have bought one of those 25 Kg bags for when I looked some time ago.

I suspect it's not worth trying to extract it from one of various mixtures that contain it, they look to be complex and have many ingrediants that will act too much like fumaric to be easy to separate.

Go To Top