Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: url shortner sent to detritus
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 25-2-2016 at 14:58
url shortner sent to detritus

I don't think the url shortener thread was spam. Why was it sent to detritus? I use url shortners routinely on twitter. I use bitly. I didn't know there were url shorteners that hijacked pages. It was good to nkow about the problem. We all surf. Some of us post to other services and forums. Information is helpful. The topic is exhausted but certainly not spam! Please be more circumspect.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
SomeoneOutThere
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2016 at 15:05

Apparently,the person that started the thread posted a shortened URL to:
http://parazite.nn.fi/roguesci/index.php/t-1960.html
Instead of whatever he said he was linking to,so that's actually spam.

[Edited on 25-2-2016 by SomeoneOutThere]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 25-2-2016 at 16:18

A discussion on URL shorteners may be useful. I agree: it was good to discover that they are a vector for malware and spam.

But in this particular case, I think it was pretty clear that the conversation was not going anywhere useful. Detritus was fitting according to the definition:
Quote:
Topics discarded due to a lack of meaningful or useful content.
I understood the mod action as part of the clean up of the original offending post and spammer.

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 25-2-2016 at 17:01

There was no useful discussion, just some jackass begging for someone to click his troll link because they hadn't. The url shortener didn't hijack the link; he was lying.

Adf.ly is a crap url shortener because it takes you through its advertising pages. It doesn't hijack anything, though the ads it displays are shady at best. Lot of fake download buttons and such (and yes, ads can give you malware).

@Someone, that's not at all what he linked to. Who are you and what is your deal?

[Edited on 2-26-2016 by Etaoin Shrdlu]
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2016 at 17:22

@chemrox:

You may not be aware of this but the OP of that thread was banned, then popped up again minutes later, then he was banned again. If that isn't proof of malicious intent then I don't know what is to you. It's all part of a recent spate of trolls, mostly sock puppets of the same person (who also posted extreme gore here).

So it really isn't a question of 'being more circumspect'.

Go To Top