Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where to buy Chemistry kit/supplies in canada
captain_cook
Harmless
*




Posts: 7
Registered: 27-2-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-2-2016 at 16:28
Where to buy Chemistry kit/supplies in canada


Hey guys,

I'm a chemistry major and i'm planning to set-up a home lab to for my experiments. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba and it seems there is not a place here where I could buy chemistry glassware for students or hobbyists.

Does anyone here knows where to buy a decent chemistry glassware kit or supplies here in Canada?

Thanks!
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Rocksinboxes
Harmless
*




Posts: 4
Registered: 18-1-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-2-2016 at 18:52


http://www.alchemylabsupply.com is located in Canada if I am not mistaken.

[Edited on 28-2-2016 by Rocksinboxes]
View user's profile View All Posts By User
captain_cook
Harmless
*




Posts: 7
Registered: 27-2-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-2-2016 at 23:48


Quote: Originally posted by Rocksinboxes  
http://www.alchemylabsupply.com is located in Canada if I am not mistaken.

[Edited on 28-2-2016 by Rocksinboxes]



Thanks mate! I've checked out their website but it doesn't say where they are located. But is seems they have good quality glassware in there.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Deathunter88
National Hazard
****




Posts: 464
Registered: 20-2-2015
Location: Beijing, China
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-2-2016 at 23:59


Welcome to the Forum! :)

A few things, double posting is not something you want to be doing, if no one replies to your thread then you should do a *bump*.

Also, you might want to consider changing your username or creating a new account. captain_cook is not really a good username as it suggests drug making. I don't know if you made it as a breaking bad reference or if you wanted to be kewl. Breaking bad references are also frowned upon due to the negative impact the show has on the view of home chemistry by the public.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
NedsHead
National Hazard
****




Posts: 399
Registered: 9-12-2014
Location: South Australia
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2016 at 00:13


My mind went to Captain James Cook who captained the Endeavour and was eaten by Hawaiians, but maybe it is a drug reference
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Great
Harmless
*




Posts: 34
Registered: 8-2-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2016 at 10:03


Prolab scientific. Canadian and sells to individuals
View user's profile View All Posts By User
captain_cook
Harmless
*




Posts: 7
Registered: 27-2-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2016 at 10:17


Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
Welcome to the Forum! :)

A few things, double posting is not something you want to be doing, if no one replies to your thread then you should do a *bump*.

Also, you might want to consider changing your username or creating a new account. captain_cook is not really a good username as it suggests drug making. I don't know if you made it as a breaking bad reference or if you wanted to be kewl. Breaking bad references are also frowned upon due to the negative impact the show has on the view of home chemistry by the public.



Actually, the 'captain' is for captain of a ship where chemistry is a sea of elements. the 'cook' part is the simplest thing i can think about related to doing chemistry activity.

Anyway, it seems i sound like my user name is affiliated to drug activities. i think i need to create a new user name and so i will not be misinterpreted.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
captain_cook
Harmless
*




Posts: 7
Registered: 27-2-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2016 at 10:19


Quote: Originally posted by Great  
Prolab scientific. Canadian and sells to individuals



Thanks mate!

Actually, I've purchased the book 'Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments' by Robert Bruce Thompson and I'd like to buy a chemistry set that has most of the equipment needed for that book.

So it would be great if anyone can suggests where to buy a chemistry set for my home lab.

I live in Canada and it doesn't matter from what country it will came from as long that it can be shipped to my house it's all good.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Texium
Administrator
********




Posts: 3662
Registered: 11-1-2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Member Is Offline

Mood: Triturated

[*] posted on 28-2-2016 at 10:46


Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
Welcome to the Forum! :)

A few things, double posting is not something you want to be doing, if no one replies to your thread then you should do a *bump*.

Also, you might want to consider changing your username or creating a new account. captain_cook is not really a good username as it suggests drug making. I don't know if you made it as a breaking bad reference or if you wanted to be kewl. Breaking bad references are also frowned upon due to the negative impact the show has on the view of home chemistry by the public.
Eh, no need to be so uptight about it. Double posting isn't that big of a deal if it isn't done in an clearly attention seeking way, and we can give captain_cook a chance before judging his/her name.



Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Rocksinboxes
Harmless
*




Posts: 4
Registered: 18-1-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2016 at 13:32


Elemental Scientific has some sets specific to the 'Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments' book. http://www.elementalscientific.net/store/scripts/prodList.as... Just scroll down to where it says home chemistry. I hope this helps.

[Edited on 28-2-2016 by Rocksinboxes]
View user's profile View All Posts By User
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1583
Registered: 5-1-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 10:04


Quote: Originally posted by Rocksinboxes  
http://www.alchemylabsupply.com is located in Canada if I am not mistaken.

[Edited on 28-2-2016 by Rocksinboxes]


They are in Torronto, and they sell good gear, like any thing there will be minore defects just check them and flag stuff for cold work and flage stuff for hot work.

So if you know what you're doing it is no issue, I will be buying from them again.

My order arrived well packed and in good time, I'm in Sk.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
captain_cook
Harmless
*




Posts: 7
Registered: 27-2-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 17:57


Quote: Originally posted by Rocksinboxes  
Elemental Scientific has some sets specific to the 'Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments' book. http://www.elementalscientific.net/store/scripts/prodList.as... Just scroll down to where it says home chemistry. I hope this helps.

[Edited on 28-2-2016 by Rocksinboxes]



Pretty much everything i needed for the book is here. I wish there is some store like this in canada, for fast and cheaper shipping cost. Anyway i'm thinking of ordering from them to get my tool set i need all at once. Thanks mate !
View user's profile View All Posts By User
captain_cook
Harmless
*




Posts: 7
Registered: 27-2-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 18:03


Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
Quote: Originally posted by Rocksinboxes  
http://www.alchemylabsupply.com is located in Canada if I am not mistaken.

[Edited on 28-2-2016 by Rocksinboxes]


They are in Torronto, and they sell good gear, like any thing there will be minore defects just check them and flag stuff for cold work and flage stuff for hot work.

So if you know what you're doing it is no issue, I will be buying from them again.

My order arrived well packed and in good time, I'm in Sk.



How long did you wait for the package you'd ordered? I'm planning of getting some additional stuffs from them i'll be needing for my artillery.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Muffn Man
Harmless
*




Posts: 45
Registered: 12-11-2013
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 05:07
Welcome


Hello Captain Cook and welcome to the board!

I am in Ottawa, Ontario. I have ordered from Alchemy Lab Supply before. Their prices used to be lower but their stuff is quite decent in quality, no issues with any of the glass that I got there. The packaging was exceptionally well done and the stuff arrived in under a week (3-4 days??). I would imagine Winnipeg may take one day more than Ottawa but its not like we live in a third world country either : )

As far as chemicals go, you can get A LOT of stuff off the shelf at your local hardware store cheaper than anywhere else. I can vouch for Westlab out of Vancouver http://www.westlab.com The only thing I would not do again is buy Sulfuric Acid there. I got 4L of 98% for $48 then $25 for shipping and handling and then another $25 for Hazmat fees then GST on some of that. I paid $100 for 4L of stuff that I could have bought at Rona's (93% though) for $9.29/L

There is also a stickied thread in the Reagents and Apparatus section by Dr. Bob who has some used stuff to sell at great prices but from the US. I have made a few orders with him and can recommend him/his service. The only thing that is not awesome is that he is in the US. Our dollar is really low these days, shipping is not the cheapest.

I don't see Alphachem (http://alphachem.ca/) posted here either. They are in Toronto. I have not ordered from them but others have provided good feedback.

Another place I highly recommend is Kijiji. While they suggest that you always meet face to face and not send payment without having the goods in hand, I have scored HUGE a couple of times. A full distillation set with 2 5000 mL RBFs, stands, clamps for $120. Out of New Brunswick, for $100 plus $20 for shipping, I got an Ohaus Explorer scale with .01g resolution. Brand new they are over $1000... Just food for thought.

Oh, and hydroponic stores have stuff like:
- nitric acid
- 35% Hydrogen peroxide
- potassium nitrate
- potassium hydroxide solution

Finally, before anyone is rude about it, I suggest that you try the search feature on this site.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1583
Registered: 5-1-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 10:00


Took about a week to arrive, I am rural so it would have gon through a couple hubs to get to me.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
captain_cook
Harmless
*




Posts: 7
Registered: 27-2-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 22:39


Quote: Originally posted by Muffn Man  
Hello Captain Cook and welcome to the board!

I am in Ottawa, Ontario. I have ordered from Alchemy Lab Supply before. Their prices used to be lower but their stuff is quite decent in quality, no issues with any of the glass that I got there. The packaging was exceptionally well done and the stuff arrived in under a week (3-4 days??). I would imagine Winnipeg may take one day more than Ottawa but its not like we live in a third world country either : )

As far as chemicals go, you can get A LOT of stuff off the shelf at your local hardware store cheaper than anywhere else. I can vouch for Westlab out of Vancouver http://www.westlab.com The only thing I would not do again is buy Sulfuric Acid there. I got 4L of 98% for $48 then $25 for shipping and handling and then another $25 for Hazmat fees then GST on some of that. I paid $100 for 4L of stuff that I could have bought at Rona's (93% though) for $9.29/L

There is also a stickied thread in the Reagents and Apparatus section by Dr. Bob who has some used stuff to sell at great prices but from the US. I have made a few orders with him and can recommend him/his service. The only thing that is not awesome is that he is in the US. Our dollar is really low these days, shipping is not the cheapest.

I don't see Alphachem (http://alphachem.ca/) posted here either. They are in Toronto. I have not ordered from them but others have provided good feedback.

Another place I highly recommend is Kijiji. While they suggest that you always meet face to face and not send payment without having the goods in hand, I have scored HUGE a couple of times. A full distillation set with 2 5000 mL RBFs, stands, clamps for $120. Out of New Brunswick, for $100 plus $20 for shipping, I got an Ohaus Explorer scale with .01g resolution. Brand new they are over $1000... Just food for thought.

Oh, and hydroponic stores have stuff like:
- nitric acid
- 35% Hydrogen peroxide
- potassium nitrate
- potassium hydroxide solution

Finally, before anyone is rude about it, I suggest that you try the search feature on this site.




Yeah, Muffin Man! That's a lot of information where to find chemicals. Actually, I'm thinking about having the necessary chemicals for my home lab. And I've been thinking of making them on my own and i always ended up with the question "What are the basic chemicals that i will need for starters?" And from there, i'll be able to mix them up to make new chemicals. And you've answered some part of that question. Thanks mate!

View user's profile View All Posts By User
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1351
Registered: 12-5-2011
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 08:45


I'm also in that part of Ontario and can vouch for Prolab Scientific. Unlike Westlab they do not restrict the sale of diethyl ether to institutions which is nice. Shipping and service are very good as well.



[Edited on 5-3-2016 by Mailinmypocket]




Note to self: Tare the damned flask.
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top