Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Element Ionisation energies: a trend anomaly?
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2016 at 18:47
Element Ionisation energies: a trend anomaly?

I found this interesting question on a prominent physics forum.

If you look at the 1st Ionisation Energies of s and p-block elements we know that energy goes down with increasing Period number. We all know why too.

But if you look at the trend for several d-block groups it doesn't hold. The following graph illustrates the anomaly:

Ionisation energy.png - 68kB

s-block groups (Groups 1 and 2) are in red, p-block (Groups 13 to 18) are in blue and several d-block groups (but not all are shown) are in black.

Anyone willing to shed some light on this conundrum?

[Edited on 29-2-2016 by blogfast25]

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 28-2-2016 at 20:50

I am going to offer an explanation that is kind of my go-to for all transition metal chemistry and is undoubtedly a gross simplification. But it does go somewhere to explaining this phenomenon as well as variable oxidation states.

Basically the d block elements have multiple options for stable electron arrangement.
http://www.ptable.com/#Orbital

Clicking along the 3d, 4d and 5d elements shows anomalies in the order that shells are filled (Cr is the first -- it is more stable as 4s1-3d5 rather than the expected 4s2-3d4.) The number of these anomalies increases as you go down the table. (Check Cr, Cu on the first row. Nb, Mo, Ru, Rh, Pd, Ag on the next row. Third transition row seems to be pretty well-behaved but that might be a simplification too. One would want to compare the electron configuration of the ion formed as well.)

It follows that if these elements find a lower energy state than the one expected by following the "normal" pattern, then those electrons will be more difficult to remove leading to a higher first ionisation energy.

It would be insightful to look at all 10 groups in the d block and see what behaviours emerge. Without checking the ionisation energies, I think it is probably a transition metal thing rather than a d-block thing.

[edit]
clarification.

[Edited on 29-2-2016 by j_sum1]

Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 04:51

The second and third periods of d block elements have just added a chunk of nuclear charge and a full f shell. f shell electrons are poor at shielding nuclear charge. Google "Lanthanide contraction".
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 07:48

@j_sum1 and Marvin:

Thanks, that solves it, I think.

j_sum1: not sure what you mean by:

Quote:
I think it is probably a transition metal thing rather than a d-block thing.

annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 11:08

The "Chromium glitch", where an electron is borrowed from the 4s-subshell to the 3d-subshell on going from Vanadium to Chromium, is due to the fact that you lower energy by having a half-filled subshell (in this case, 4d; Cr's 5 4d electrons make it half full). The reason is that the all the spins can be aligned, hence you have a spin symmetric state, hence a spatially antisymmetric state, hence keeping the charges away from one another. This is an issue having to do with the symmetries of the electron wave functions, rather than effectiveness of screening. Cr actually has two half-filled subshells, both 4s and 3d.

When you add the next electron after the subshell is half filled, it raises the energy because the new electron cannot be spin aligned with the ones already there, and the spatial part of the wave function is forced to be more symmetric, thereby raising the Coulomb energy of the electrons among themselves.

Any other SF Bay chemists?
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 11:55

I very much respect annaandherdad 's posts and that is an excellent answer, but perhaps to a different question. I read the OP twice and the second time realised this was about trends going down a group, not across a period.

I think the full picture is probably complex but to the best of my education I'm sticking with screening as the major contribution.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 15:02

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

j_sum1: not sure what you mean by:
Quote:
I think it is probably a transition metal thing rather than a d-block thing.

I meant that the zinc group might revert to the normal pattern since by my reasoning, having full d orbitals, it lacks possibilities for alternative electron arrangements.

Really, my explanation is little more than a hand-wave and one I use with students to explain variable oxidation states. I need to be able to explain why Fe forms 2+ ions and 3+ ions and not 8+ ions. At the level that my students need, I simply point out that the transition metals have multiple options for stable electron configuration.

Thanks annaandherdad for a more complete explanation. Is the "chromium glitch" a technical term? I am going to use it anyway.

Marvin, you may well be closer to the truth with your explanation. I know about the lanthanide contraction. But I did not know about the diminished electron shielding afforded by f electrons. But, as you say, it is undoubtedly complex. More complex in fact than the data blogfast posted. I am just assembling some more complete data. I will post soon.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 15:26

Here's the data.
It seems that the stronger pattern here is the depression in ionisation energy of the second transition row.

Undoubtedly more than one thing going on here.

Attachment: First IOnisation of D block elements.xlsx (14kB)
This file has been downloaded 295 times

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 17:10

From row 4 (numbering so that row 4 starts with K) to row 5, the ionization energy decreases, which is normal, for every element pair except for vanadium[3d3,4s2]/niobium[4d4,5s1], chromium[3d5,4s1]/molybdenum[4d5,5s1], and nickel[(3d8,4s2 + 3d9,4s1)/√2] /palladium[5d10]. All of these show the d-block anomaly which I assume is due to electron degeneracy in the d-block. I'm pretty sure the actual physics is similar to (but not the same as) the energy-level depression in resonant bond systems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance_%28chemistry%29#Hist...

Quote:
In the classical system, the coupling produces two modes, one of which is lower in frequency than either of the uncoupled vibrations; quantum mechanically, this lower frequency is interpreted as a lower energy.

In the same way, some multiple-electron states of the d-block can "resonate" (in a mathematical sense) to allow a lower frequency (energy) eigenstate, which increases the ionization energy. The trend is also clear when comparing the reactivity of aluminum and gallium, or phosphorus and arsenic.

The increase in ionization energy from row 5 to row 6, on the other hand, can be easily explained by the lanthanide contraction.

[Edited on 1-3-2016 by clearly_not_atara]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 17:33

Thanks j_sum1.

annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 18:17

Marvin, you're right, of course, I didn't answer the question that was asked. I was just commenting on the general situation, and trying to make the point that the electron symmetry is part of the problem when computing the state of lowest energy (as well as screening).

Ultimately the calculations are heavy numerically, and some of the rules that have been developed (eg Hund's rules) are partly empirical.

Another point that is sometimes misunderstood is that the whole concept of an electron configuration is only an approximation. The true ground state wave function of the atom is not exactly a product of single particle orbitals (what an electron configuration would imply). Instead, the electron configuration is the best approximation one can make to the true wavefunction by such a product.

Chromium glitch is my own terminology.

jsum1, very cool interactive periodic table link, thanks.

Any other SF Bay chemists?

Go To Top