Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Broke the Inlet Connector of Graham Condenser, Help Please.
Noflers
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 15:58
Broke the Inlet Connector of Graham Condenser, Help Please.

I snapped the inlet connector on my condenser, what should I do to remedy the situation? I'm thinking I'd rather glue the hose directly to the stub where it broke than to glue the broken glass together. as it would just be a weak spot.

I had the idea of a sort of tape that can be heat cured, is there such a thing?
What type of glue should I look for?

Thanks for the help!

[Edited on 3/1/2016 by Noflers]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 17:53

It will be very hard to glue the barb back to the water inlet and have it hold, you are right there. If the hose is at the top, there will be less pressure on it there, as that is normally the outlet, and thus lower pressure. If you can get the hose over the stub of the hose barb, you may be able to hold it in place with some glue, tape, wire, whatever, especially if it is the outlet. But it will be iffy at best. Since the water jacket should not get too hot, the temperature stability is not critical. You can also use cold air with it and still get a lot of usage, blow air through a tube in cold water and then into the condenser. I have used air many times, best for higher bp solvents.

The best solution is a glass blower, as that type of repair is pretty easy, just putting a new hose barb on. If you can find one nearby, that would be a simple repair. I had a few condensers fixed that way a while back.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 09:32

Sometimes it's possible to insert a tight-fitting hose in the hole if enough of the neck remains . . .

Go To Top