Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: prepchem
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 9-3-2016 at 16:06
prepchem

anybody know how to surf prechem syntheses without registering? I hate all the unwanted email I get from registering at sites.
www.prepchem.com/
Thanks

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 9-3-2016 at 16:35

I think you can unsubscribe from the email updates and still have full access. I have an email filter in place. Even though prepchem emails are rather regular, I don't find them intrusive compared with other sites.

AvBaeyer
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-3-2016 at 18:16

I tried unsubscribing several times but am still getting several emails per day. I find most of what is sent to be mostly of little use or interest.

AvB
SmellNoEvil
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-3-2016 at 19:09

I just went to the site you linked. I'm going to assume that popups are what is stopping you from surfing the site.Simply disabling JavaScript on Chrome or whatever browser you're using should get rid of them.

[Edited on 10-3-2016 by SmellNoEvil]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 9-3-2016 at 21:13

Like I said, an email filter works just fine.
However, I don't actually mind spending a couple of seconds scanning submissions and seeing if there is something that I might want to attempt.
The real value of the site is the ability to search for something and find a procedure to follow. That can be done without receiving emails.

AvB, if you are finding that you can't opt out of the emails then I recommend contacting the site admins. It seems to me to be a reasonably well run sort of a place and I think you should be able to get what you want.

chemplayer..
Awesome

[*] posted on 9-3-2016 at 21:32

The popups on that site are annoying, especially as the site originally was 'open' and didn't require any registration.

Turning off Javascript works well and stops this, allowing you to browse freely. Some browsers these days are making this difficult - in Firefox for instance you need to type 'about :config' into the address bar, click past the warning, then toggle the 'javascript.enabled' setting.

chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 13:16

chemplayer- that's what I was looking for. Thanks very much and thanks to everyone as well. They were all valuable.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
chemplayer..
Awesome

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 16:52

Even simpler on Firefox, when you get the 'register' popup, simply go to the Firefox menu "View -> Enter Reader View" which creates a nicely formatted and printable / saveable screen with the procedure on!

We're thinking that since every page is (at least currently) formatted the same way, it really wouldn't be too hard to write a little 'spider' which automatically extracted the entire contents of the site into a PDF booklet sorted by chemical name :)

chemplayer..
Awesome

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 03:44

// "GimmeMyPreps" java class, written and tested in March 2016 by ChemPlayer. Just for fun. (c) No one.
//
// This is a rough and ready version but will search the site firstly identifying all unique linked pages
// within the site, then as it does so identify which of these have a preparation on them. If it finds a
// prep it extracts the details and stores it. Once all possible pages in the site are searched the preps
// are then sequentially written to a HTML file locally.
// Original URLs are retained but pictures are not transferred; that might be breaking copyright.
//
// Save as 'GimmeMyPreps.java', compile on CMD line using "javac GimmeMyPreps.java' (you will need JDK installed).
// Place in a directory and then execute using 'java GimmeMyPreps'.
// Uncomment the 'DEBUG' marked lines if you want to watch the process in its full glory.
//
// NOTES: changes to the site template, character encoding, layout, etc. will mess up the extraction logic,
// so this may not work in the future without modification (might even throw String exceptions on execution!).
// You may to need to modify the internet access code if using a proxy server and some types of VPN.
//
// Tested on Windows: Max memory use (java.exe) 745,000K; Max CPU 02%; Time taken 43 mins.
// 1871 pages in total scanned. 1241 preparations found. Parsing failed to capture ~50 preps in total
// Output file 'Preps.html' was 1829 Kb in total. Final prep 'Preparation of 4-iodo-m-xylene'.

Attachment: GimmeMyPreps.java (10kB)
This file has been downloaded 572 times

fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 13:30

The ideas here are quite funny.

When the window pops up click on the share with Google+ logo, will take you the Google+ site close the tab again the popup is gone. Did it this way since popup appeared and it works for months now for me. Dunno if it's still working but its worth a try.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 17:31

interesting additions- @chemplayer: seems like a lot of programming as opposed to turning the java toggle on/off and back again but I like it. @fluorescence: really? I don't think I allow google+ on my firefox but I might try it. I can go there with TOR but TOR is slowwwwer even than windozzzze

back to chemplayer: I think I see now what this does.. you get the whole shootin' match as of the date you do this?

[Edited on 15-3-2016 by chemrox]

chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 18:06

Quote: Originally posted by chemplayer..  
// "GimmeMyPreps" java class, written and tested in March 2016 by ChemPlayer. Just for fun. (c) No one.
// Original URLs are retained but pictures are not transferred; that might be breaking copyright.

using this locally so don't care about the copyrights, if any, they obviously don't either since they publish any and all submitted. So, having done the work, could you please add the pics?

chemplayer..
Awesome

[*] posted on 16-3-2016 at 03:36

Correct - the code when executed reads the entire website, finds all the preparations (1241 when we ran it) and then places them all into a single HTML file with the title, the preparation details, and the reference. Yes you're right about the copyright - it's dodgy because the site claims it has copyright over all content, yet it clearly doesn't in practise. Re-publishing 'public domain' works does not grant you copyright.

Putting the images in there will need a rewrite because it'll need the output html file to be generated while the site is being read as keeping all the images in memory will likely be a bit too much. To get the images some sneaky code will be required as the reference in the html at the moment is to a collection of images - so you'd need to get this reference, work out the largest (best) resolution one, calculate the URL for that single image file, then temporarily load it into memory as a binary object before re-writing it again in an 'images' directory next to the output file (or use a third party file copy java class library which can handle http file references). The output html then simply contains the reference to the image next to each preparation so it appears in the file when loaded.

No time to do it unfortunately (who's up for the challenge!)?, but the output of the current code is pretty useful as it is.

chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-5-2016 at 06:50

We just re-ran the algorithm just to see how the PrepChem site is getting on.

At first it stalled at page 451, so we were worried that some of the page layouts had changed and had foiled our logic. But on running again it completed (took ~2 hours to run with a moderately slow network connection) so the code still seems to work with the site page layout, and it extracted and consolidated all of the preparation details bar about 50 into a single giant html file for easy searching and browsing.

To recap on 11/03/2016: 1861 pages scanned, 1241 preps found. Output file was 1829Kb.
And now on 31/05/2016: 2037 pages scanned, 1360 preps found. Output file was 1963Kb.

Looks like they've only added 120 new preparations roughly since the time they put the 'sign in' block up; so clearly not doing so great. Might be time to make your own archive soon...

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 31-5-2016 at 09:11

I've never really liked java, mostly because of the huge amount of typing.

Let's see if i can remember any of it ...

File.Output.Runs['last'].post_it(thread_SM(this) || thread_SM('whimsy'), now() );

[Edited on 31-5-2016 by aga]

careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 31-5-2016 at 12:52

I got 1362 preps just now.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2016 at 14:13

Would someone kindly help walk me through how to do this please.
I am running win 8.1

I have downloaded and installed jdk-8u91-nb-8_1-windows-x64

I tried win console using GimmeMyPreps.java and the console just said it wasnt recognized as an internal or external command program or batch file.

I then tried opening the file with java mission control 5.5 and got a box pop up saying there was no editor associated with the file.

I am new to all this so could some one please point this idot in the right direction. Thank you and thank you for doing the program it looks really handy, I had a look around on the site and there are some great 'preps' I would like to try, I thought if i could get this to work then i have a copy of them on my machine

Cheers Nick
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 31-5-2016 at 14:57

Duh. A lot of (most) people will not be able to follow the program route.

Post.('it').process(now(), downloadable=true)) || effort.worthwhile['test', 'major']=false;

careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2016 at 15:03

Quote: Originally posted by NEMO-Chemistry  
I am running win 8.1

I tried win console using GimmeMyPreps.java and the console just said it wasnt recognized as an internal or external command program or batch file.

I then tried opening the file with java mission control 5.5 and got a box pop up saying there was no editor associated with the file.

I am new to all this so could some one please point this idot in the right direction. Thank you and thank you for doing the program it looks really handy, I had a look around on the site and there are some great 'preps' I would like to try, I thought if i could get this to work then i have a copy of them on my machine

Cheers Nick

If you download the Eclipse IDE you could open the file (after creating a project) and run it in the IDE using the run or debug command.

If you install Groovy you can run the .java file from the command line as a script.

Otherwise you have to compile it into a .class file with javac, then run the class file with the java command.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 31-5-2016 at 15:20

We LIKE prepchem, and i think i speak for any amateur chemist in this regard.

Prepchem is just trying to make some $, and we can't argue with that.

Publishing a stack of things on the internet for free is what they do, so they cannot argue that it MUST be paid for.

If they ever attempted any Legal case, they'd lose their houses, cars, shirts etc.

Simply out of Respect, you should withdraw your code and U2U your file to any interested SM member with the caveat that if they make said file public, they lose their house, car, shirt and soul etc.

chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-5-2016 at 15:38

Aga.getBrainObject().apply(new Infusion("Haloperidol", "5mg", "24 hours"));

Actually, 'miscellaneous' is probably the right place for this post as that's where the YT stuff normally goes. We love prepchem too, but it became a pain in the ass to navigate so we decided to bypass it because we could; no different to ad blocking etc.

1. Download JDK.
2. Set path variable in windows to point to 'bin' directory of JDK.
3. Compile using "javac <Classname.java>"
4. Run using "java <Classname>"

As posts have mentioned there are other ways as well. Lots of easy to follow tutorials out there to follow. We could post the class or even an executable one, but figured that if you really want it you will work it out (besides, you should not trust a random java or exe file).

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2016 at 15:43

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  
Quote: Originally posted by NEMO-Chemistry  
I am running win 8.1

Cheers Nick

If you download the Eclipse IDE you could open the file (after creating a project) and run it in the IDE using the run or debug command.

If you install Groovy you can run the .java file from the command line as a script.

Otherwise you have to compile it into a .class file with javac, then run the class file with the java command.

I downloaded jdk-8u91-nb-8_1-windows-x64 with the net beans option apparently??

I didnt see Eclispse I will hunt that down and install or groovy. Thank you for the help programming isnt something I have tried before, i assumed i just downloaded the java jDK and that would have everything in it, apparently i was wrong!

I will give it another go after installing eclipse, thanks again.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2016 at 16:37

Quote: Originally posted by chemplayer...  
Aga.getBrainObject().apply(new Infusion("Haloperidol", "5mg", "24 hours"));

Actually, 'miscellaneous' is probably the right place for this post as that's where the YT stuff normally goes. We love prepchem too, but it became a pain in the ass to navigate so we decided to bypass it because we could; no different to ad blocking etc.

1. Download JDK.
2. Set path variable in windows to point to 'bin' directory of JDK.
3. Compile using "javac <Classname.java>"
4. Run using "java <Classname>"

As posts have mentioned there are other ways as well. Lots of easy to follow tutorials out there to follow. We could post the class or even an executable one, but figured that if you really want it you will work it out (besides, you should not trust a random java or exe file).

Thanks for the info.

I havnt done ANY programming before so its all new to me, i will keep trying though as it looks like a cool program.

@ aga I didnt really understand your post, sorry.

Nick
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2016 at 16:37

Here is a slightly modified version of the Java script that also writes a tab delimited file called "preps.csv" that has the chemical name by itself in the first column (field), the prep in the second, and then the URL.

To my mind this is a more useful form since you can sort the file easily by chemical name.

Attached also are copies of my latest preps.html and preps.csv.

Attachment: GimmeMyPreps.java (10kB)
This file has been downloaded 626 times

Attachment: preps.html (1.9MB)
This file has been downloaded 3708 times

I initially uploaded the wrong preps.csv file, not the final one. I have fixed this (and I made a number of manual fixes also of some formatting anomalies), the file is in sorted order by chemical name.

[Edited on 1-6-2016 by careysub]

Attachment: preps.csv (1.7MB)
This file has been downloaded 1176 times

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-6-2016 at 11:08

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  
Here is a slightly modified version of the Java script that also writes a tab delimited file called "preps.csv" that has the chemical name by itself in the first column (field), the prep in the second, and then the URL.

To my mind this is a more useful form since you can sort the file easily by chemical name.

Attached also are copies of my latest preps.html and preps.csv.

Thank you i have saved the files :D, they will be very handy.

Addendum: The csv extraction was a quick-and-dirty mod and did not work quite as well as I hoped. I will refine it tomorrow to catch some probem cases.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top