Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Prussian Blue from Laundry Bluing
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 17:09
Prussian Blue from Laundry Bluing

Today I decided to boil down some laundry bluing to see if I could recover any ferricyanide compounds from it. I used an 8 oz (227 mL) bottle of bluing and simply heated it gently on a hot plate with stirring.

So far, I have removed about 3/4 of the water. The bluing has taken on an appearance very similar to blue ink used in pens, and there is some very fine precipitate.

One thing that I have noticed - the solution has a very weak almond odor... I'm told that cyanide smells like almonds. The MSDS for this variety of bluing says that it is nonhazardous but warns not to mix it with acids. I can't confirm it, but I believe that the ingredients are water, Prussian blue, oxalic acid, and ammonia.

Heating will likely gradually drive off the ammonia... I do have a respirator, of course, but before I evaporate to dryness, I suppose I ought to ask: Does oxalic acid react with Prussian blue to produce hydrogen cyanide?

[Edited on 11-3-2016 by JJay]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 19:47

I ended up boiling it down and obtained a few grams of a tarry, extremely blue substance that is mostly soluble in water.

My next move is to calcine it to destroy any oxalic acid compounds.

20160310_183643.jpg - 710kB
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 01:49

I think, hot concentrated oxalic acid could produce a small amount of hydrogen cyanide. But it's probably cyanidophobia on my part.

[Edited on 11-3-2016 by ave369]

Smells like ammonia....
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 08:30

I believe that is exactly what happened, but I don't believe that dangerous amounts were produced... just enough to create a noticeable odor.
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 14:54

Laundry bluing often contains ultramarine and the reason it should not be mixed with strong acid is because it gives off hydrogen sulphide. This latter reaction allows easy distinction between the two pigments.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 18:21

This particular brand is widely believed to contain Prussian blue... It is Mrs. Stewart's.

I suppose I could do some tests.
Daffodile
Hazard to Others

Mood: Riding eternal

[*] posted on 12-3-2016 at 09:52

Could you distill with acid into huge excess of aqueous potassium Hydroxide, add Ferrous Sulfate, and collect pure Prussian blue precipitate? That way you can measure purity.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-3-2016 at 10:02

Quote: Originally posted by Daffodile  
Could you distill with acid into huge excess of aqueous potassium Hydroxide, add Ferrous Sulfate, and collect pure Prussian blue precipitate? That way you can measure purity.

I have been thinking about doing something along those lines, bubbling gas produced with sulfuric acid and the blue compound through a hydroxide solution and reacting with ferrous sulfate... of course, that is a fairly dangerous procedure since it involves creating hydrogen cyanide as an intermediate.

As a test for hydrogen sulfide, I could try bubbling the gas through copper sulfate solution to see if a precipitate is formed. This is also pretty dangerous, not to mention smelly.

[Edited on 12-3-2016 by JJay]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2016 at 23:41

I pulled this experiment out of the cabinet today to look at finishing it up, and I noticed that long, white needles had grown out of the blue substance. I'm not sure what these are, but they appear to be crystalline.
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 27-4-2016 at 01:56

Interesting, depends on where you stopped your cleaning process. If you washed everything in the end most of the soluble parts should be driven off as well. Although the original post seems to be somewhat older I'd just like to mention that this particular idea that HCN smells like Almonds is kinda dangerous.

To be honest I have no idea what fresh almonds actually smell like. I worked with stuff like Benzaldehyde and they all smell completely different to what HCN actually smells. It's very characteristic, since I have to work with it quite often I do tests once every 2 weeks where I have a small bottle with a tiny amount wet KCN in there to test if I can still smell it and to remember the exact smell it has. I could probably detect it very fast by smell since as said its very characterisitc but I have never smelled anything else that would resemble it afterwards.

With HCN it's like with H2S, you can smell actually quite tiny traces of it already although H2S can be detect in like 10.000 times lower conc. Still you will smell the difference between a tiny conc. and a larger one. I had the unpleasant experience, more than once actually, to smell a larger amount of HCN and then it's like HCl or HF, a larger amount is really irritant to your nose. Its really like breathing above a bottle of HCl. So yeah I don't have oxalic acid to test it for you but as long as you work under a fume hood or outside you should be fine I guess, no guarantees!

[Edited on 27-4-2016 by fluorescence]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2016 at 02:36

The almond smell is a bit hard to describe... it smelled like a watery artificial almond smell rather than like almonds. Unlike bitter almond flavoring (which doesn't smell like almonds but does smell delicious), it didn't smell like anything that would be particularly good to eat, although the smell was similar.
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-4-2016 at 02:48

Mhm okay. I'd have to smell it. I once tried some artifical bitter almond oil and the smell was different as well.
We had that topic quite often what to do to actuall help people identify it. I thought of a wet q-tip that you hold for a short period of time into some HCN vapour and that can be send to other members but it didn't really work out.

Best would be to avoid such experiments. Like Prussian blue can be easily made and just washing it multiple times should clean it enough. What would you need a perfectly clean sample for ?
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2016 at 02:53

I can easily make Prussian Blue, but in this case I am trying to isolate it from OTC compounds. I am very curious about what the white needle-like crystals I am seeing are. My cell phone camera doesn't really do them justice....
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-4-2016 at 03:13

Have you checked them under a microscope to see how many different compounds there could be ?
I don't know what other compounds were in that OTC product you used.

I boiled Prussian Blue once in nitric acid. There is a very old paper on so called Prussian Green or Berlin Green a compound that should form when PB is boiled in Nitr. Acd. or Chlorine. I tried it and it became really green but in the end blue particles formed and it became all blue again, seems to be pretty reversible so I think some boilin will actually reduce the particle size. So not all acids seem to react with it I guess. Not really a fan of this compound anyway. I work a lot with d-Metal Cyanides but I avoid Iron for many reasons.
Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 16:05

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I can easily make Prussian Blue, but in this case I am trying to isolate it from OTC compounds. I am very curious about what the white needle-like crystals I am seeing are. My cell phone camera doesn't really do them justice....

The Mrs. Stewart's site doesn't make it easy, but if you poke around long enough they tell you MSB is a colloidal suspension of ferric hexacyanoferrate in water with a small amount of a biocide/algaecide and a "pH buffering agent".

My guess is your crystals are of this pH buffer, and I suspect it is sodium carbonate. Have you tried to find the pH of these crystals?
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 23:42

Quote: Originally posted by Artemus Gordon  

The Mrs. Stewart's site doesn't make it easy, but if you poke around long enough they tell you MSB is a colloidal suspension of ferric hexacyanoferrate in water with a small amount of a biocide/algaecide and a "pH buffering agent".

My guess is your crystals are of this pH buffer, and I suspect it is sodium carbonate. Have you tried to find the pH of these crystals?

Where do they say that it is a colloidal suspension of ferric hexacyanoferrate?

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 23:45

Quote: Originally posted by fluorescence  
Have you checked them under a microscope to see how many different compounds there could be ?
I don't know what other compounds were in that OTC product you used.

I boiled Prussian Blue once in nitric acid. There is a very old paper on so called Prussian Green or Berlin Green a compound that should form when PB is boiled in Nitr. Acd. or Chlorine. I tried it and it became really green but in the end blue particles formed and it became all blue again, seems to be pretty reversible so I think some boilin will actually reduce the particle size. So not all acids seem to react with it I guess. Not really a fan of this compound anyway. I work a lot with d-Metal Cyanides but I avoid Iron for many reasons.

No... I have not checked them under a microscope.

Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-5-2016 at 15:03

Where do they say that it is a colloidal suspension of ferric hexacyanoferrate?

<a href="http://mrsstewart.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Salt-Crystal-Garden.pdf">Salt Crystal Garden pdf</a> page 2.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-5-2016 at 21:04

Ok, so it is definitely largely Prussian Blue.

Here is what I got after I boiled down one bottle of it and allowed the moist solids to air dry. There are some long needle-like crystals that look almost like white hairs.

[Edited on 5-5-2016 by JJay]

foo.jpg - 442kB

Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 11:03

Nice picture!
Those crystals are much thinner than I'd assumed. Maybe they are CaCO3. I would try touching a pH strip dampened with distilled water to one or two of them. That would both tell you the pH and it would give you an idea of the solubilty. Did the crystals start to form early or late in the dehydrating process?
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 20:42

Nice picture!
Those crystals are much thinner than I'd assumed. Maybe they are CaCO3. I would try touching a pH strip dampened with distilled water to one or two of them. That would both tell you the pH and it would give you an idea of the solubilty. Did the crystals start to form early or late in the dehydrating process?

I think they formed late... they are very soluble and very acidic... as acidic as they are, I think they must be oxalic acid or perhaps sodium hydrogen oxylate.

[Edited on 5-5-2016 by JJay]

Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 11:46

That's interesting. I assumed the biocide would need an alkaline environment. What pH did you measure?
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 11:48

I measured pH 1, touching the paper directly to the crystals. This does indicate strong acidity, if nothing else.

PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2017 at 15:40

I'm going to try this as well. I did a bit of digging, and one of the MSDS's on Mrs. Stewarts listed the ingredients (but not the proportions):

Water
Gluteraldehyde
Oxalic Acid
"pigment"

Other things I found said the gluteraldehyde replaced formaldehyde, so that they could continue to say they were "non-toxic". How oxalic acid jibes with that, I don't know.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2017 at 15:48

I never got around to actually calcining it (at least I haven't yet), but I have the Prussian Blue sitting in a vial close at hand.

I'm pretty sure that heating it above a few hundred degrees will drive off the impurities.

Edit: A pharmacist I know who has a master's degree in chemistry thought that was a dangerous idea, so I held off on it, but I'm really not seeing how that would be dangerous. I mean, if you allow yourself to get a faceful of hot oxalic acid vapor, you'll wish you hadn't, but really, how dangerous is it to boil down some laundry bluing and heat it in a crucible....

[Edited on 7-2-2017 by JJay]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top