Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: [RESEARCH] My interpretation of the Texas anti-glassware law
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 13:27

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
This has gone too far Cou.

So the Texas stuff was all bogus crap just to garner attention as well ?

If i were a mod ...

Where did you get that from? I deleted the post because I wanted to add a paragraph before someone saw it, then it became moot.

Originally the point of this thread was to discuss that law in general. Not just for my personal help. Previous discussion of the Texas law on this forum never went very far, only up to "Texas is a dumb state that infringes on freedoms, MEETING ADJOURNED."

[Edited on 22-3-2016 by Cou]

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 13:43

I don't actually have any data to back this up, but I'm pretty sure that supply far outstrips demand when it comes to bad smells.

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 13:56

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  
I don't actually have any data to back this up, but I'm pretty sure that supply far outstrips demand when it comes to bad smells.

So maybe you think bad smells are a bad idea, so you decide to make fruit-smelling sprays with esters.

Do you really think anyone is gonna buy that, with all the perfumes already on Amazon?

Chemistry entrepreneurship requires heavy brainstorming.

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
ParadoxChem126
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 15:38

The foundational motive for home chemists is to pursue one's interest and enthusiasm in the science of chemistry. Amateur chemistry has little to do with profit and sales. If your main motivation is making money, there exist other alternatives which would likely be much more profitable. If you find that the science itself is not interesting, perhaps you might think about choosing another hobby.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 15:53

Quote: Originally posted by ParadoxChem126  
The foundational motive for home chemists is to pursue one's interest and enthusiasm in the science of chemistry. Amateur chemistry has little to do with profit and sales. If your main motivation is making money, there exist other alternatives which would likely be much more profitable. If you find that the science itself is not interesting, perhaps you might think about choosing another hobby.

The science is interesting. But like I said, there needs to be some kind of goal to achieve. Kewls might enjoy dumping chemicals together and watching them react for the hell of it, but real chemists don't just make things for the hell of it, right?

One purpose of chemistry could be to make a profitable product. For example, if perfumes were profitable (it's a saturated market so not really), I could have fun by making different esters, recording smells, and deciding which ones would be the best candidates for a fruity perfume.

Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 16:22

Now to stop derailing this thread and get back on the original topic, which is discussing the Texas glassware law;

I just discovered a new hurdle for Texas amateur chemists. You won't be able to easily get a P.O. box out of state. You could just have to shipped to "General Delivery" to a post office outside of Texas, but if you're having the package shipped from China, that "general delivery" could arouse some suspicion from customs due to the fact that General Delivery mail is anonymous and associated with drug trafficking. General Delivery is so rare nowadays that I've heard of post offices refusing to keep packages, and sending them back.

That permit is starting to look mighty good now... just need a locked, anchored cabinet to keep the glassware.

[Edited on 23-3-2016 by Cou]

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 19:41

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  

The science is interesting. But like I said, there needs to be some kind of goal to achieve. Kewls might enjoy dumping chemicals together and watching them react for the hell of it, but real chemists don't just make things for the hell of it, right?

One purpose of chemistry could be to make a profitable product. For example, if perfumes were profitable (it's a saturated market so not really), I could have fun by making different esters, recording smells, and deciding which ones would be the best candidates for a fruity perfume.

Now this is interesting... how would you "record" the smells?
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 19:45

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  

Now this is interesting... how would you "record" the smells?

Everyone has a different sense of smell (H2S actually smells pleasant to me, like freshly scrambled eggs, not rotten eggs) so smell reports are unreliable. I would keep samples for reference.

Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 23-3-2016 at 05:00

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
So all this fussing about the legality of glass, all just to spray solutions of H2S around to smell it and annoy others :S sigh.

Make a sulfur dioxide generator instead and bleach flowers and other coloured things!, before H2S anyways.

What about the guy who invented the "Liquid Ass Spray"? Are you gonna criticize him for spraying skatole and thiols all over the place, in the effort to find a perfect recipe?
I am certainly going to criticize him. Some damngus keeps spraying that crap in the science hall at my school and it never fails to derail the classes and keep people from concentrating on anything but the awful smell. An infinitely more productive invention would be a spray that reacts with the indoles and thiols in it to destroy the odor. And that's something that I've actually considered trying to make... so you can see why I'd be extremely disappointed that your ambitions amount to this.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-3-2016 at 06:57

After calling DPS, the head lady of the controlled substances department, Deanne Malone, says that in order to get the permit, you must have a locked cabinet to store the glassware, and the cabinet must be permanently fixed to a wall or floor, so that burglars can't take it. It also must be inside the house, not outside. They will have DPS officers inspect the cabinet to be sure it's secure (this happens within 2 weeks of sending the permit, they schedule a time to check with you). And they ONLY inspect the area with the cabinet, not the whole house.

I'm not sure if "home chemistry" is a valid excuse for the permit, probably is.

[Edited on 23-3-2016 by Cou]

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 23-3-2016 at 11:03

What does the permit cost? I pay $50 a year for a precursor permit from my state pharmacy board. Why? Because every GD chemical you can think of us on the list. (I had to correct their spelling of methylamine, they didn't have the first clue.) @Bert- yeah and while you're at it confess to intention to violate the section. @Detritus: I think your post was good. BTW: DEA does not regulate research labs. However Spectrum among other CA based re-packagers doesn't know that. More lawyer tax. Technically you might have to have an import license to buy from offshore. Nobody I know gets one. This came from a DEA guy. I think he was wrong. The import license would be for a re-packager and I know a few who don't have the license. But I digress...
Here's an interpretation and the most draconian clause of all: http://biotech.law.lsu.edu/cases/searches/ag_jc-0021.htm
Why is Tx so freaked out by home chemistry? Seems like Yahoos (pronounced "Yay-who) are the biggest meth freaks of all.. when they're not doing Oxycontin.. Oxycontin is also known as "hillbilly heroin" I heard from a sometimes reliable source that ephedrine hcl sells for 10G/pound there. I guess it come through the tunnels.

[Edited on 23-3-2016 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-3-2016 at 13:12

The permit is free.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top