Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Will maggots and flies ruin my product?
Daffodile
Hazard to Others

Mood: Riding eternal

[*] posted on 29-3-2016 at 20:16
Will maggots and flies ruin my product?

So over the last year, I've been stirring this pile of grass mixed with urine and hoping for magic to happen. I occasionally drain and boil down the liquid and redistribute it over the pile to prevent the water from fucking shit up (surface area). And for some reason, flies have started to become attracted to my pile. Maybe its the warm weather, I really don't know. So anyway, will these maggots mess up my project? I'm hoping to extract the (Calcium?) Nitrate in September, and I'm wondering how urgently I need to get rid of them. If its urgent, I'll boil the fuckers tomorrow. Otherwise, I'll just use a seive to separate them from the liquid (They float) sometime on the weekend.

BTW: Sorry for not uploading photos recently, my phone is well past its middle age, and is starting to act funny.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 29-3-2016 at 22:42

Haha, I would love to see pictures of your maggot invested pile of manure, must be a feast!
Oscilllator
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-3-2016 at 23:20

I think so. Surely the maggots will be taking up protein (and thus nitrogen), turning into flies and then escaping. Quick Daffodile, boil them before your nitrogen flies away!
feacetech
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-3-2016 at 15:14

Flies are attracted to the N probably in the form of ammonia coming off your urine and faecal mix. (they need N for protein to lay eggs)

At the meat works the stench of ammonia was incredible coming from under the yards to the point it hurt the eyes

When urine and faeces mix, enzyme reactions generate ammonia
Daffodile
Hazard to Others

Mood: Riding eternal

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 23:33

Ha I found a use for the maggot water. With good reason, I put it in someone's shoes. It worked as suitable revenge. The end.

Go To Top