Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Acid container/cabinet substitute.
organicchemist25
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-3-2016 at 17:10
Acid container/cabinet substitute.

Looking into buying an acid storage cabinet. After pricing and looking at models, I was wondering is a safe that seals tightly for fire protection of money, documents, and other important things ok to use? They are significantly cheaper and they can be locked by means of combination, too.

Only issue that I think may be a problem is it corroding the mechanism inside the door for the combination and siezing up at some point, ultimately locking me out of it.

Thanks for everyone's help! I always appreciate it! I have learned so much here.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 30-3-2016 at 17:26

I got mine for $150 off Craig's List. Thinking about buying another larger one from the guy, since he still has quite a few. I can vent them outside and everything. Very nice.

I would be worried about using a safe. Think of why you use a cabinet: it's not necessarily due to keeping the reagents protected from theft, but rather keeping them from you. The safe will probably corrode a lot more quickly. If it has electronics, they will stop working.

I would recommend getting one of those two door metal cabinets you see in schools, at a minimum. Then move up to the corrosive cabinets.
organicchemist25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-3-2016 at 18:30

Well, I was also thinking alimg the lines that I have a 8 year old son, who I was thinking about keeping them away from him and then later as he got older and him and some friends wanted to get in dads lab a mess around. He is already involved in simple, safe experiments and learning about serious hazards as he gets exposed. But I do have the lab locked up outside in a 12x12 detached nice shed/garage with the only key on me at all times. So it's very secure. But teenagers are a different story. I was just looking ahead. Not worried about the theft. The safe would only be the manual turn dial. But I'll do some more research on eBay and see if anyone on Craigslist has one.

Thanks for your input
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 30-3-2016 at 19:22

Quote: Originally posted by organicchemist25  
Well, I was also thinking alimg the lines that I have a 8 year old son, who I was thinking about keeping them away from him and then later as he got older and him and some friends wanted to get in dads lab a mess around. He is already involved in simple, safe experiments and learning about serious hazards as he gets exposed. But I do have the lab locked up outside in a 12x12 detached nice shed/garage with the only key on me at all times. So it's very secure. But teenagers are a different story. I was just looking ahead. Not worried about the theft. The safe would only be the manual turn dial. But I'll do some more research on eBay and see if anyone on Craigslist has one.

Thanks for your input

I have been thinking about the same thing for the last couple of years, since mine are still very young, but at the age where we have to chase after them (3 and 2).
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2016 at 05:59

A locked tall metal supply cabinet would work well, you can find them at many government surplus auctions, thrift stores, etc. Even a lockable file cabinet can be found here for $25-50 at many thrift stores. A safe would likely corrode too fast to be useful with any real corrosives. All bottles will leak some, and once a cap crack or leaks a little, the mechanism will seize.

You can find the plastic corrosive cabinets on Ebay, Craigslist, and other auctions, also at university surplus stores, government surplus auctions, labx, and many other sites. Just google or search the sites. I try to lock up certain things, plus nice not to corrode you shed or garage if they do leak. Putting a tub of NaHCO3 or Na2CO3 inside will help some to remove acid vapors. Flammable solvent cabinets are also nice,I have one I use for solvents as well as laquer, varnish, and mineral spirits. But most metal cabinets will work somewhat.
organicchemist25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 21:15

Yes, I have has issues with corrosion, especially metal things. I have had like a film or haze on glass bottles etc too. I found out that was my bromine escaping, so I put into ampules. But, I had bought real nice PTFE caps and nice bottles. It still could keep the Br in. I'll also add a tub of some of the other you mentioned just as an extra measure.

Thanks!
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 10:32

Dr. Bob: I use a plastic storage container with two shelves I got at Home Depot. It serves and was reasonably priced. I don't keep it near metal parts I would worry about. At my school we had a storage room off the main supply room that outside air circulation.. like an old fashioned pantry. That would involve remodeling for most of us. I don't have to lock it so I keep it shut with a large bent copper wire that turns green ;^) The only issue I've had is losing labels over time. I *should* replace them from time to time with labels of my own making. I am adding: there seems to be a chronic acidic air problem in my lab. I have improved air exchange in the lab by venting the hood and the lab air to the outside with a strong exhaust fan.

[Edited on 8-4-2016 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top