Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Free glass reagent bottles- Ottawa, Canada
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 06:06
Free glass reagent bottles- Ottawa, Canada

In the Ottawa area, pick up only but these guys come in handy.

http://m.kijiji.ca/buy-sell-other/ottawa/empty-4l-bottles-bo...

image.jpeg - 96kB

Note to self: Tare the damned flask.
Muffn Man
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 08:21

I happen to know that there are 8 fewer bottles currently available than in that picture...

She states in the ad that the glass is not food grade. I understand about foolish people and liability and stuff so it is not a good idea to tell the general public that these are OK for your moonshine or what have you. BUT!!! These bottles have contained water or Acetonitrile for HPLC.

Am I stupid for assuming that since the chemicals in the bottles were for liquid chromatography, they would not leach minerals or any of the glass content into the chemicals that they contained? So by not leaching into the contents, the glass is therefor chemically stable and by extension, food safe, if and when the bottles are properly cleaned?

Its OK to be honest here, I am asking for it : )

PS: I have some Xylene that I need to distil/clean and I wanted to store in one of these bottles (OK, I got the 8 bottles I said are currently missing). The original metal container is rusted and dented and leaks a bit so I have to leave it outside so as to not pollute my home. Should I consider a more flexible container to allow for expansion or would one of these bottles be OK for the Xylene?
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 09:06

Im assuming it is for liability. I think it is safe to assume that the glass itself will not leach any materials into solvent type chemicals which it is intended to contain. Will the glass maybe pick up heavy metals or other contaminants and hold onto them even if the bottle is filled and emptied and cleaned after containing said chemicals? Maybe.

The bottle would be okay for xylene. We receive xylene and other solvents with higher vapor pressures than that in those type bottles at work.

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by Mailinmypocket]

Note to self: Tare the damned flask.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 10:28

I go through several of those a week. I'd give them to anyone who wanted, but the postage on heavy glass bottles is high. If you are near any university, research facility, or industrial lab, you can get many 4L solvent bottles a day. I have some smaller bottles that I have shipped to people, but these come 4 to a box, and would cost about $20 in postage for most of the US. Plus, the boxes are all marked as chemicals, so you have to find a non-hazmat labelled box to ship them in once clean and empty. But if anyone wants bottles like this, they are not hard to find locally anywhere I have ever been.

Go To Top