Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dissolution of cerium (IV) oxide
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 18:04
Dissolution of cerium (IV) oxide

I have just received 200g of CeO2 to play with. I thought I might try preparing some solutions of Ce salts but obviously oxides of this nature do not play well with acids. I have come across a couple of ideas:

• Reaction with sulfuric acid at elevated temperatures (takes days with almost zero happening)
  • Reaction with HCl
  • Reaction with H3PO4
  • Reaction with HBr (which I don't have)
  • Reaction with HNO3 / H2O2
  • Reaction with HCl with KI

Sources:
https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_can_I_dissolve_CeO2_ce...
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/matertrans/53/11/53_M-M... (Which I have not fully read yet)

Does anyone have any experience with playing with CeO2?

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 22:42

Dissolving this kind of inert oxides is amazingly difficult. You could try it in overheated H2SO4 (at a red heat, the acid confined in a pressure chamber) or in molten Na2S2O7 (can be made by heating NaHSO4 to a red heat). HCl, HBr, HNO3 are useless. I only give you some chance of success with H2SO4 and H3PO4. The other acids are too volatile.

Industrially I think that processing of such oxides (in ores) is done in the molten state.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 23:29

I have some Na2S2O7. Looks like I need to build myself a furnace then.

I might run some tests in the meantime -- based on the ideas suggested. It can't hurt.

[edit]
No I don't. I have some Na2S2O8.

[Edited on 8-4-2016 by j_sum1]

blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 02:29

My exploits dissolving reagent grade CeO2 in conc. H2SO4.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 03:56

Wow! Thanks bloggers.
I did do a search but obviously not thoroughly enough.
That little experiment series is a mine of information. I should be able to use some of that.

I think I will pursue hot sulfuric acid first and target the ceric sulfate. Then go for the hydroxide and see where it takes me. It seems to me that the hydroxide could be easily made into all sorts of salts.

The molten sodium pyorsulfate route sounds interesting too but I don't have anything with enough heat output that I can do safely in my little shed at present. And my temperature reading ability tops out at 300°C. I will think that one through a bit more before trying.

I don't really see how it could work but it will cost me almost nothing in time and resources – I am going to try out the HCl with added KI suggested in the link I found. If it does something I will report it.

Unfortunately it will be at least a week before I can get into shedworld to have a play. :( I guess that gives me a chance to do some reading first.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 04:57

There were a few more experiments that for some reason I didn't report, like the reduction of Ce4+(aq) with H2O2(aq) to Ce(+3), in acid conitions. Handy if you just want some stable Ce(+3) salt.

Ce(OH)3 is ironically easily oxidised to CeO2 (Ce(OH)4 ?) with that same peroxide but in alkaline conditions.

And I still don't understand why Ce(+4) is coloured and Ce(+3) colourless. Basic QC suggests the other way around!

[Edited on 8-4-2016 by blogfast25]

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 05:07

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

And I still don't understand why Ce(+4) is coloured and Ce(+3) colourless. Basic QC suggests the other way around!

Yeah, that one has me puzzled too. But I am far from knowledgeable on that one. Is this a phenomenon that is repeated elsewhere among the rare earths?

I did find this beast – the hexanitratocerrate ion which is formed in solutions of cerium ammonium nitrate. If similar structures are formed with other anions it might account for some colour. Or, more to the point, with my limited understanding I wouldn't be surprised to find that such an object absorbed visible light.

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 05:20

Strangely, my CeO2 from Elemental Scientific dissolved just fine in HCl and H2SO4. Maybe the thermal history of yours is different? I wouldn't know if it changes between suppliers.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 05:29

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

Yeah, that one has me puzzled too. But I am far from knowledgeable on that one. Is this a phenomenon that is repeated elsewhere among the rare earths?

The colours of the RE(+3) compounds are due to part-filled 4f orbitals.
Ce(+3) should have a 4f1 orbital and should exhibit colour. But Ce(+4) should be 4f0, expected colourless. Ligand Field Theory predicts the otherwise degenerate 4f energy levels are split into groups, due to the electrical field of the ligands. 4f electrons can then toggle between the groups by VIS absorption. But here that theory doesn't work so well...

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
Strangely, my CeO2 from Elemental Scientific dissolved just fine in HCl and H2SO4. Maybe the thermal history of yours is different? I wouldn't know if it changes between suppliers.

Thermal history does play a part, that's known.

Did chlorine evolve when you dissolved the CeO2 in HCl/H2SO4? Off the top of my head, Ce(+4) oxidises chloride to chlorine. If so, that could help explain the dissolution.

Edit:

SRPs confirm that:

Ce(+4)/Ce(+3) = + 1.44 V
2Cl-/Cl2 = - 1.36 V

(Source)

Go To Top