Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: bond energy
CrossxD
Hazard to Self

Mood: stainless

sad.gif posted on 10-4-2016 at 08:30
bond energy

Im doing my chemistry project And I dont know how much energy will take to destroy some bonds how I can calkulate it? for example 2Al2O3 ->4Al + 3O2 how I can calculate Al-O bond energy?
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-4-2016 at 11:27

Quote: Originally posted by CrossxD  
Im doing my chemistry project And I dont know how much energy will take to destroy some bonds how I can calkulate it? for example 2Al2O3 ->4Al + 3O2 how I can calculate Al-O bond energy?

You may just have chosen the wrong example but for Al2O3 the concept of bond energy (bond enthalpy) isn't really applicable.

In Al2O3 no Al-O bonds exist in the narrow sense of the word: alumina forms an ionic lattice of 2 mol Al3+ cations and 3 mol O2- anions per mol alumina. That lattice is held together by the electrostatic attractions between the cations and anions.

Compare this to e.g. H2O, in which each O atom covalenty bonds to two hydrogen atoms, to form a H2O molecule.

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 10-4-2016 at 12:05

Bond enthalpies are only useful for gas-phase reactions.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
MeshPL
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 11:12

But you can calculate the enthlapy of the reaction easily using data given in tables you can find on the Internet. Al2O3 has enthalpy of formation equal to -1675,7 kJ/mol. O2 and Al have 0 (as they are pure elements). You can easily find out that to break a mole of Al2O3 you need to supply it with 1675,7kJ. I'm not sure if molar enthropy would play a part in that. If it does, you will need to specify temperature, and mentioned value would be incorrect, but for 1atm 25°C it would be 1582,3kJ per mole.

Go To Top