Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Potassium Iodide
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 09:52
Potassium Iodide

While looking for a source of iodine, I found Purebulk selling pure potassium iodide: http://purebulk.com/potassium-iodide-powder/

A quick calculation shows the price as $0.43 - $0.12 per gram depending on the amount purchased at once. Has anyone had experience purchasing potassium iodide from the supplier, or know of legal restrictions to purchasing it?
Alkoxide
Harmless

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 10:55

I bought powdered caffeine from them a few years ago without an issue. I don't believe there are any restrictions on KI
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 18:47

Those aren't exactly screaming deals on potassium iodide, although it does look like it's food grade.
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 20:54

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Those aren't exactly screaming deals on potassium iodide, although it does look like it's food grade.

What's a good source for potassium iodide? I'm unsure about what a good price is.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 21:13

There are a number of sellers on everyone's favorite auction site that are cheaper (goldcloudinc and oneworldonedream come to mind, but there are others). I've also seen good prices on AliExpress and BangGood. Occasionally, someone will sell some on this board at a good price.
Sparklehorse
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-4-2016 at 08:19

I've gotten KI from them before, no issues
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 15-4-2016 at 10:09

There are a number of sellers on everyone's favorite auction site that are cheaper (goldcloudinc and oneworldonedream come to mind, but there are others). I've also seen good prices on AliExpress and BangGood. Occasionally, someone will sell some on this board at a good price.

I know AliExpress. Could you please post the urls for the others? Spectrum is really expensive and TCI doesn't have a lot of my wants.

How much iodine? I have some I use for chromatography and I see it on ebay from time to time. I could let a little go. (I've had the 1oo g bottle for 10 years)

[Edited on 15-4-2016 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2016 at 10:21

I could... these are pretty commonly known sources... eBay? Search for potassium iodide and shop around....

Finding elemental iodine is a bit harder since it is illegal to sell in large quantities in the U.S. without a lot of paperwork (and it's highly questionable whether it is even legal to sell small quantities to customers without DEA permits and so forth), but you can find it if you shop around. Of course, for all I know, everyone who sells it openly is a con artist.... You can legally make iodine for professional chemistry purposes without any DEA permits as long as you aren't supplying it to others.
UC235
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2016 at 22:09

Purebulk is an excellent supplier of many things, in my experience. Iodide salts are not formally watched in any way that I am aware, but they are not all that cheap for KI, it would seem. Expect to pay 10-15 cents per gram for KI.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 16-4-2016 at 10:29

it's highly questionable whether it is even legal to sell small quantities to customers without DEA permits and so forth

There's no question that anything over 2.2% w/v is list 1 with no threshold, except for up to 30 ml of Lugol's, specifically exempted.

Iodide has been expensive since the first controls on iodine, and before that. Once in a while iodate is the better deal by mw, when one also doesn't really want iodide.

The ephedra-related laws as they are has reduced pressure on control of nonelemental iodine, but I'm sure that some organization's model legislation that includes it will infect the system eventually.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2016 at 16:36

I think elemental iodine sales should be legalized. Iodine is extremely useful and rarely used to make methamphetamine despite relatively easy availability (through iodine-containing salts). There seems to be little reason for the government to restrict potassium iodide sales.

Go To Top