Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Methanol from distillation of wood
Emlingur
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-4-2016 at 03:31
Methanol from distillation of wood

I wanna make methanol by distilling wood, but I dont know which sideproducts to expect from it. Any ideas of what they might be, or ways to isolate the methanol?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
IceDahl
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 13-4-2016 at 04:32

I am not really sure what the side products are, but one of the best ways to separate the methanol from them is distillation. I am not sure if it gives good purity methanol though.
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
13-4-2016 at 04:51
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 13-4-2016 at 07:02

Pyroligneous acid is a complex mixture of substances ─ the main ones being acetic acid, acetone, methanol and water!

Separation of usable quantities of methanol from such a mix is almost impossible, even with a large frac. column . . .

But methanol is cheap and available on ebay! :D

Chemist_Cup_Noodles
Harmless

Mood: Anticipative

[*] posted on 14-4-2016 at 05:41

If you're determined to distill your methanol, go to a local party store. They should have really cheap, methanol gel based buffet warmers. But be careful which cans you pick, most are ethylene glycol I believe. I don't know what else might be in the gel but methanol has a low boiling point so you should be fine distilling the gel. Although the gel should keep it from bumping or knocking hard during boiling so there's that going for you. But tbh I don't think it would be as cost effective as ordering it on eBay. God bless the Chinese and their low prices. You'd have to wait quite a while and shipping might be costly seeing as it's fairly flammable and especially if it's coming from China it will take some time.

I'll be honest-- We're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do.
-Cave Johnson, Portal 2
Add yourself to this map of SciMad members! https://zeemaps.com/map?group=388676&add=1
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 15-4-2016 at 04:58

From wood decomposition, you get a lot of impurities.
Fortunately most of them are different boiling points.
Specifically acetone and acetic acid.
You will also have esters like acetylal.
You have to have a really tall column to separate some
Of these. Or use chemical means.

Go To Top