Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Temp controlled probe protector?
greenyppols
Hazard to Self

Mood: Who's been messin' with my moods?

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 09:35
Temp controlled probe protector?

I was looking at one of these by VWR, it has a stainless steel probe that controlles the temp. Within reason, anyway.
Seeing as the probe would be effected by sulphuric acid, especially hot, I was wondering if encasing it in a thin tube of extruded teflon tube would be helpful in protecting it. Kinda like a glass coated probe?
Im not sure how much the temp would be off , if any, because of this but it seems temp could be compensated for.
Say it was a piece of 1/16 hollow extruded teflon tube, reamed to tightly fit the probe, 1/4 o.d.
I can get the tubing, just thought what the illuminati think.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dr.3vil
Hazard to Self

Mood: 4He + 8.7 MeV

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 17:07

That should work ok. The key here is not to have an air gap between the probe and outer case. The temperature should not be affected once the probe and jacket equilibrate with the system temperature. I would also make sure that no steal is exposed as vapors may attack the metal. There is a pdf floating around on emule that talks about material resistance to acids. Im sure this information is also available on the web. This will help you determine if any material is compatible with an acid or base.
greenyppols
Hazard to Self

Mood: Who's been messin' with my moods?

[*] posted on 29-9-2006 at 02:57

My monkeying around with ptfe tubes, drilling them to fit and trying to fit the probe into them didnt work out.
Then I found that there are things called "F.E.P" sleeves. Good to 400ºf. They are pfte tubes that are melted over steel probes with a heat gun, starting from the closed end. There is another type that is ok up to 500ºf, but I forgot what its called.

$2.50 each for 1/4"x12" tube that will shrink onto a 1/8" probe. A google search for probe protectors or sleeves outta turn it up. Steel and chlorine? no prob. Various acids? no prob. hah! If ya cant melt it yourself, apparently they're willing to do it for you, for a price of course. Go buy/borrow a heat gun.

Now anything corrosive can be monitored precisely..I think Im gonna love an auto-temp controlled doohickey. Much better n "turn it up, turn it down, keep an eye on it for hours"...not leaving it alone, mind you, just not having to babysit it so dang much...I hope to be able to catch up on school readings in the next room instead of eyeballing a thermometer.
Tef Cap Ind
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2018 at 17:08
FEP Probe Covers

The part that you are looking for is a Heat Shrinkable FEP Probe Cover. Manufactured by Tef Cap Industries.
Probe Covers are designed to fit over the probes or thermocouples and when heated will shrink tight onto the part. The FEP Covers are good to 400°F and PFA will be good for temperatures up to 500°F.

Probe Covers allow for complete protection in almost any chemical environment.

for more info on Heat Shrink FEP and PFA Probe Cover visit https://tefcap.com/fep-probe-covers
Or Call : 610-692-2576

Heat Shrinkable FEP & PFA Probe Covers.JPG - 1.9MB
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-11-2018 at 04:19

Very nice Tef Cap Ind !

Just bookmarked your website, you've got very interesting products.

Go To Top